Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

U

User1

View Badges
At some point cant one simply keep the levels where wanted to maintain and not drive so much growth as with soft corals? Or no?

There is no stopping Mother Nature...

On a serious note yes, you can probably lower the additive dosing if you are. I'm not sure I'd try and lower the things you use to control the primary three. That would make me a bit nervous. I mean your options are as you already know being taking time to cut and trim or swap / sell larger colonies and replace with new frags.

Probably one of the bigger downsides hobbyist/tanks have to face once established and running smoothly. The issue of deciding when to do major reconstruction of an existing tank, upgrade, or add a frag tank. Seems it never ends in some cases... You have a good thing going Brew.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But totally different ball game with SPS, and I know nuthin about SPS. Yes I quoted myself. XO
It is different with SPS. I may do a major coral rip out this weekend, not so much because of alk/calc demand but to keep some of this stuff from shading coral I want growing more. I have some beautiful Acro's trying to thrive that need more room and less shade.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank and kitchen are beautiful! Please post pics when you get your counters. Take your time making big decisions. You know you have our support no matter what you decide.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank and kitchen are beautiful! Please post pics when you get your counters. Take your time making big decisions. You know you have our support no matter what you decide.
Counters could be in as soon as next Thursday. Lots of trim work to do. Should look really good in 2 weeks.
As for moving to Wisconsin (assuming that is what you were thinking about), I'm strongly leaning that way. It would be nice to get close to family again. Not to mention being a quick car ride away from Battlecorals. I won't be getting out of the hobby, just a minor setback. And hopefully a house that is better suited for showing off a reef tank.
Regardless, I have weeks worth of work to do before this house would be ready to sell if I go that route.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whispers . . . W i s c o n s i n . . .
I was born in Chicago and raised in the suburbs. I spent my summers just north of Hayward, WI at a lake cabin. I went to high school in Prairie Du Chien, Wi and some college in Watertown, Wi. Going back north would be taking me home.
I will have to buy a new jacket if I make this happen. :rolleyes:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born in Chicago and raised in the suburbs. I spent my summers just north of Hayward, WI at a lake cabin. I went to high school in Prairie Du Chien, Wi and some college in Watertown, Wi. Going back north would be taking me home.
I will have to buy a new jacket if I make this happen. :rolleyes:
I heard selling fat frags funds lots of coats.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard selling fat frags funds lots of coats.
At a time of social distancing, selling frags doesn't make sense and I don't want to deal with shipping. So, they will become reactor media for now. If I do take the tank down, hopefully I can find something better to do with the nicer colonies.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not helping at all really. I am leaving my husband to it bc he seems to need a project right now.

What's the word they use in the south when someone starts talking nonsense? Umm, that's right! PEE-SHAW!!

The world is a crazy place right now, and you are front line. You help in so many ways it's incredible. Seeing your posts and your commitment is helping to normalize this situation a d make people see there's is good on our side in this and we'll get through it.

@Brew12 - I haven't been been getting notifications of your updates and just spent some time catching up. Amazing stuff!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the word they use in the south when someone starts talking nonsense? Umm, that's right! PEE-SHAW!!

The world is a crazy place right now, and you are front line. You help in so many ways it's incredible. Seeing your posts and your commitment is helping to normalize this situation a d make people see there's is good on our side in this and we'll get through it.

@Brew12 - I haven't been been getting notifications of your updates and just spent some time catching up. Amazing stuff!
That is very kind of you.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you snow mobile or ride a RZR?
Definitely snowmobile. I used to have 2 of them when I lived in New York. Sold them because I figured they wouldn't get much use in Alabama.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back