Bright orange algae

SaltyGinger42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got this bright orange algae that's growing on my live rock covered in purple coralline. And heres the kicker, when I shine a light on it, its greenish, but when its under my blue lights its bright orange. Any Ideas? Its also all over the back wall of my cube.

16257063548391096679719501584713.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks and appears to be film algae. There are likely excessive light and nutrients to support it. Scrape off with algae scraper or edge of an old credit card and siphon. Reduce white light intensity and test nitrates and phosphate levels

ColorAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am curious to hear how this ended for you. I am currently dealing with a similar looking algae in my tank. My acans and trachyphyllia started sulking once this algae appeared. Did you have a similar experience with any of your corals? Did it go away on it's own or is it still around?

OP
OP
SaltyGinger42

SaltyGinger42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am curious to hear how this ended for you. I am currently dealing with a similar looking algae in my tank. My acans and trachyphyllia started sulking once this algae appeared. Did you have a similar experience with any of your corals? Did it go away on it's own or is it still around?
I ended up getting about 4 trochus snails and 2 mexican turbo snails and they cleaned it right up in the matter of a week or 2. And watching them clean it was actually really cool and interesting. The trochus snails are my favorite and in my opinion put in the most clean up work. They are highly recommended by me. It is a nuisance algae

ColorAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting about 4 trochus snails and 2 mexican turbo snails and they cleaned it right up in the matter of a week or 2. And watching them clean it was actually really cool and interesting. The trochus snails are my favorite and in my opinion put in the most clean up work. They are highly recommended by me. It is a nuisance algae
Thank you for the reply. I've been dealing with something that looks very similar to your original post. I have been scraping it off but it has been persistent and keeps coming back in the exact same spots. It has been about 11 days since I have noticed it. As of now all of my corals and other livestock seem to be doing well, so I'm not that bothered by it but I'll definitely load up on some trochus to keep it maintained. Thank you for the information.:)

OP
OP
SaltyGinger42

SaltyGinger42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I've been dealing with something that looks very similar to your original post. I have been scraping it off but it has been persistent and keeps coming back in the exact same spots. It has been about 11 days since I have noticed it. As of now all of my corals and other livestock seem to be doing well, so I'm not that bothered by it but I'll definitely load up on some trochus to keep it maintained. Thank you for the information.:)
Of course friend I wish you luck!

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got this bright orange algae that's growing on my live rock covered in purple coralline. And heres the kicker, when I shine a light on it, its greenish, but when its under my blue lights its bright orange. Any Ideas? Its also all over the back wall of my cube.

16257063548391096679719501584713.jpg
Have something similar in my tank too.. not sure if they are the same... and glows under blue light.
20210930_143900.jpg
20210930_143811.jpg

20210930_212021.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back