Brightwell aquatics put calcium in an alkalinity bottle?

Aquatic Bobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchased from Amazon a 4L bottle of brightwell aquatics reef code B, alkaline buffer solution to replenish my nearly empty dosing container. I had a tiny bit of reef code b remaining in the container. I began dumping in some of the code b from the new bottle I just purchased (still completely sealed and I always check when buying off Amazon because I've got snake oil before from unsealed bottles) when I noticed the liquid began to get all clumpy and looked like super glue gel. I tried mixing it together To see if something was abnormal but the solution only got thicker and chunky.. I separately added a small vial of the new reef code B to my aquarium water in a separate container and noticed it looked exactly like calcium being added. I tested the solution and it was calcium. This is the 1st time I've actually bought a bottle that was supposed to be alkalinity (buffer) from brightwell aquatics and turned out to be calcium. I was completely shocked. Thank God I still had a little of the alkalinity solution left in my dosing container because if I didn't my tank would have been overdosed with calcium and possibly could have destroyed a $50000 aquarium.

My YouTube channel is "aquatic bobs" And I'll most likely be making a video about this. I guess I'm curious 1st has this ever happened to anybody and is there any chance something like this could have been a total mistake and not brightwells fault? I'm still in shock and to tell you the truth pretty upset about this. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts before taking any action. Thanks for your time. I've always had great success with bright well and if anyone from there has an explanation or any possible thoughts I would greatly appreciate to hear from you as well. I hope there is a good explanation for this and would gladly Report that I was wrong.

OP
OP
Aquatic Bobs

Aquatic Bobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dont you do some calcium and alk tests on it. Sample your water before you add any and then see what its actually increasing.
So just out of curiosity I did some tests. I took a cup of tank water tank water and then added several drops and several drops from from the bottle And calcium readings were higher than my salifert test kit could read.. alk was slightly elevated at 10 up from 9.4 which makes me even more confused.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just out of curiosity I did some tests. I took a cup of tank water tank water and then added several drops and several drops from from the bottle And calcium readings were higher than my salifert test kit could read.. alk was slightly elevated at 10 up from 9.4 which makes me even more confused.

what was the calcium before adding it?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd after looking at the product contents online.......

Are you using reefcode A too?

Amazon is starting to become ebay with inferior/ rejected or counterfit products. I think i find less counterfit products on ebay now days.

Always make sure the seller is reputable.

OP
OP
Aquatic Bobs

Aquatic Bobs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd after looking at the product contents online.......

Are you using reefcode A too?

Amazon is starting to become ebay with inferior/ rejected or counterfit products. I think i find less counterfit products on ebay now days.

Always make sure the seller is reputable.
Yes I've been using reef code a and reef code b for over 2 years now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt this supposed to raise his alk more than it would his calcium?

OP have you turned off your dosers or is your RCA still dosing?

Not sure I understand. I am referring to his reported dosing of just the alk part, unless I misunderstood:

"So just out of curiosity I did some tests. I took a cup of tank water tank water and then added several drops and several drops from from the bottle And calcium readings were higher than my salifert test kit could read.. alk was slightly elevated at 10 up from 9.4 which makes me even more confused."

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand. I am referring to his reported dosing of just the alk part, unless I misunderstood:

"So just out of curiosity I did some tests. I took a cup of tank water tank water and then added several drops and several drops from from the bottle And calcium readings were higher than my salifert test kit could read.. alk was slightly elevated at 10 up from 9.4 which makes me even more confused."
The reef code B is the alkalinity solution but it raised his calcium sky high instead of alk is what i was refering to.
So shouldnt he be seeing more rise in alk than calcium testing the reefcode B?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef code B is the alkalinity solution but it raised his calcium sky high instead of alk is what i was refering to.
So shouldnt he be seeing more rise in alk than calcium testing the reefcode B?

Oh, sure. That's the crux of his issue. It should only raise alk and not calcium.

If they put the wrong part in the bottle and it is really the calcium part, it will raise calcium like he found, and the small alk boost (0.6 dKH) may be random test error. That was my point.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back