Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Dimpled Bric

mhoskins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Bio brick 3 months ago and placed it in my refugium in a low flow area with the dimples up. In the last month green algae has formed on the top of it. The algae covers the entire surface. Is this normal? My tank parameters are good and corals look fine. Any advice?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I have used the Brightwell bricks and blocks in several systems and I have not had that happen, but algae will grow anywhere if the conditions (e.g. nutrients, lighting, etc.) are right.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the bio-bricks but welcome to R2R!

R2RWelcome.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Bio brick 3 months ago and placed it in my refugium in a low flow area with the dimples up. In the last month green algae has formed on the top of it. The algae covers the entire surface. Is this normal? My tank parameters are good and corals look fine. Any advice?

Welcome! Glad you joined. Agree with post #2 algae will grow wherever light and conditions allow. Perhaps your phosphates and nitrates have gotten higher. In our tank we do a lot to counteract the amount of food fed to fish so that corals remain happy.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Bio brick 3 months ago and placed it in my refugium . ... The algae covers the entire surface. Is this normal? My tank parameters are good and corals look fine. Any advice?

Welcome to R2R !

This is a great resource for advice, insight, knowledge, and wisdom. I'd review the " Nuisance Algae (including bacteria) " thread.

Omnipresent Algae - That said my novice experience is that algae is everywhere in the environment. Given enough time, it will find your tank.

Ugly Phase - My experience is that every tank, freshwater or salt water, will have a ugly phase with algae. One is best to be patient and reassess for the common risk factors (Too much light, over feeding, new tank, high phosphate, high nitrates, ...).

Take It Slow - An urge to nuke algae often ends up in disaster. For me, algae will diminish as the cause is eliminated and the equilibrium is established.

One Step At A Time - Avoid too many changes too fast. If something goes wrong with many changes, you will not know the culprit. The converse is true too; if the algae is gone, one will not know what worked. If the inhabitants are doing well, go slow.

Avoid Algecides - I killed all the plants in a freshwater tank trying to control algae with an algaecide. Only when I researched the compound, did I learn it blocks photosynthesis. Do the research and Do No Harm.

Be Careful With Products With Antibiotics & Other Medicines - Not all inhabitants tolerate all medication and all doses. My son has has fish that require half the regular dose when medicated with certain medications. This information is often buried in manufacturer websites and PDFs. Do the research and Do No Harm.

Listen To The Wisdom At R2R - This site is a great resource with knowledgeable members. Do not make the mistakes I made. I'm a novice who returned to the field 2 years ago when my son became interested. That said, unfortunately, I know algae well. Thus my hard learned lessons above.

Best wishes and may 2022 be algae free,
Jim

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
Welcome to R2R.JPG

I am think you better of post this in the correct forum to get more advice.
Algue is quite normal if you have light in there

BreadReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back