Brightwell bioblock vs marinepure blocks

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one use these? What is you experience with both brands? I currently have the Brightwell in my frag tank and seems like it does a good job. I’m looking to add one to my 90g tank but am cautious of doing it now as I’ve read aluminum has been introduced to a few peoples tanks.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running four Brightwell bricks in my sump on a 250 gallon tank. I had the Marinepure
Ceramic Biomedia 1 1⁄2” Spheres in my quarantine tanks but I replaced them with Seachem Matrix because the Marinepure just falling apart and is very fragile.

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running four Brightwell bricks in my sump on a 250 gallon tank. I had the Marinepure
Ceramic Biomedia 1 1⁄2” Spheres in my quarantine tanks but I replaced them with Seachem Matrix because the Marinepure just falling apart and is very fragile.
Can you add it to an already established tank? What are the risks and issues that might come of it? Which Brightwell ones are you using?

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using these:
Brightwell Aquatics XPORT-NO3 BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION DIMPLED BRICK from BRS.

I see no problem with adding these to a running system. I have read a number of stories where these bricks were added to running systems without any issues.

43C41A87-75AC-4D3A-AAF2-E97929C30C3D.jpeg

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using these:
Brightwell Aquatics XPORT-NO3 BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION DIMPLED BRICK from BRS.

I see no problem with adding these to a running system. I have read a number of stories where these bricks were added to running systems without any issues.

43C41A87-75AC-4D3A-AAF2-E97929C30C3D.jpeg
Would you do the regular Brightwell ones or the xport? Did you see your levels go down one product vs another?

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you do the regular Brightwell ones or the xport? Did you see your levels go down one product vs another?

I have only used the xport bricks. With this being a new build, the system cycled normally.

I will be adding my first batch of fish next week since they were done with quarantine.

Last edited:

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used the xport bricks. With this being a new build, the system cycled normally.

I will be adding my first batch of fish next week since they were done with quarantine.
Question on the Brightwell Export bricks.
I’m thinking of adding myself the same. The question is, why are they completely in the water?
You do not need nitrification, i.e. decomposition of ammonia and nitrite to nitrate?
Maybe it was better to order NO3 Brick?
Here is what is written in the instructions ...

Additional information
You can use more bricks than the capacity shown above. You can't have too much filtration, the bacterial growth will be self limiting. It is prudent to use a whole brick even in smaller systems down to about 50 U.S. gallons. If the system is smaller than that, then use the cubes instead. For nitrification, or removal of ammonia and nitrite, employing the brick aerobically, or above the water line will provide maximum results. To do this, mount the brick in air, above the water level, and run a small stream of water through the brick. It is not necessary or desirable to run the whole flow of the main system pump through the brick. A flow of about 40 to 80 liters per hour is ideal. An adjustable flow control will allow you to adjust the water flow to only that which will flow through (and not around) the brick. On the other hand, removing nitrate is an anaerobic process and limiting oxygen to the brick as much as possible will maximize the nitrate removal. In this case, mount the brick beneath the water surface in the sump in a very low flow area, if possible.

To use one brick for both aerobic nitrification and anaerobic denitrification, mount the brick below the water surface and provide medium flow around it. The bacteria growing in the top 1/4" of the surface of the brick will be aerobic and will use up all the oxygen so that the inside of the brick goes anoxic or anaerobic. Anaerobic denitrifying bacteria will then colonize the internal surfaces of the brick and you will get both nitrification on the surface and denitrification in the internal parts.

While the BIO Brick will perform both nitrification and denitrification, if your need is primarily for denitrification, you should purchase the NO3 Brick instead or in addition.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I like the surface area and the porosity helps achieve that but the dust is really annoying.
Please tell me, does the dust from the brick fall into the water and fall into the main tank or simply settles in the sump?

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me, does the dust from the brick fall into the water and fall into the main tank or simply settles in the sump?

mine just sank in the sump. My tank’s still new and I still harbor the fantasy of having the sump be as clean as the DT.

Once in a while I just vacuum it into a filter sock so it’s not the worst, just annoying.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back