Brightwell chaetogro

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what the experience is using this stuff.

I used to have a healthy chaeto five that was growing like crazy and full. Running a kessel H80. I accidentally killed it off with my Rowa being to efficient in a reactor. I have brought my nutrient levels back up but the last two batches of chaeto I have tried has just withered and died. I am since dosing red sea colors weekly but I'm assuming the corals are using up the iron? Since I have plenty of po4 and no3 I can only assume it's a lack of other elements.

Looking at the chaetogro seems there is pretty standard dosing instructions. What I'm wondering is if the chaeto is not using all of these elements is there a potential harm to the other tank inhabitants should these elements rise?

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, had chaeto going white and dying off. Added Chaetogro and it bounced right back up. Definitely recommend.
Thing is I left my 30 gal refugium grow out of control and the chaeto grew to every corner of the area. I didnt prune it as often and it started dying as well, no matter how much chaetogro I added. Chaeto is funny, flourishes and when things get where you need them to be, they die for no reason.
I am growing caulerpa now. Have the risk of going sexual they say, but it is more resilient that chaeto, and so far has done an excellent job. I still use chaetogro growing caulerpa
I'm done with chaeto

OP
OP
Bayareareefer18

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, had chaeto going white and dying off. Added Chaetogro and it bounced right back up. Definitely recommend.
Thing is I left my 30 gal refugium grow out of control and the chaeto grew to every corner of the area. I didnt prune it as often and it started dying as well, no matter how much chaetogro I added. Chaeto is funny, flourishes and when things get where you need them to be, they die for no reason.
I am growing caulerpa now. Have the risk of going sexual they say, but it is more resilient that chaeto, and so far has done an excellent job. I still use chaetogro growing caulerpa
I'm done with chaeto
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give it a shot. Need to get my fuge going again. I do know calerpa has its risks and I think it's not legal here in California

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often to dose ChaetoGro?
I have a 80G system and I can't seem to keep Chaeto even after dropping a few mls of ChaetoGro every week. Should I dose weekly? I have a 12+ Hours of Prime Fuge light on it.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what the experience is using this stuff.

I used to have a healthy chaeto five that was growing like crazy and full. Running a kessel H80. I accidentally killed it off with my Rowa being to efficient in a reactor. I have brought my nutrient levels back up but the last two batches of chaeto I have tried has just withered and died. I am since dosing red sea colors weekly but I'm assuming the corals are using up the iron? Since I have plenty of po4 and no3 I can only assume it's a lack of other elements.

Looking at the chaetogro seems there is pretty standard dosing instructions. What I'm wondering is if the chaeto is not using all of these elements is there a potential harm to the other tank inhabitants should these elements rise?

with respect to trace minerals in ChaetoGrow accumulating in tank if not uptaken by macro, there is little concern if you review individual trace minerals. Corals & bacteria uptake these nutrients as well.

Consider iron as a trace mineral. Most photosynthetic organisms have back up storage mechanisms. Iron storage, to be used during lean times, is well documented.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar concerns about build up but it hasn’t seemed to be an issue in my system. I couldn’t keep chaeto alive despite detectable nitrate and phosphate and AWC which I thought would keep trace high enough but figured would try chaetogrow. Totally made chaeto explode in growth. No other changes. I have it set on a doser for 2 ml/day in my 150 volume system. My last harvest.
D415D302-FED3-4486-8946-28AA8B4AF765.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 80G system and I can't seem to keep Chaeto even after dropping a few mls of ChaetoGro every week. Should I dose weekly? I have a 12+ Hours of Prime Fuge light on it.
When I read the directions on the bottle, it read twice a week to start. After one week, more may be required. Remember, they are marketing this stuff. Only you can determine if more is required by how your system responds.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ChaetoGro includes trace minerals only. Major nutrients of nitrogen & phosphorous are required. What are your nitrate & phosphate readings?

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are in the 25 range and phosphate is around 0.5ppm.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are in the 25 range and phosphate is around 0.5ppm.
I highly recommend using ChaetoGro. As an observer of nature, I feel safe to say that the use of ChaetoGrow should benefit all photosynthetic organisms as well as consumers of phytoplankton. Not sure about what bacteria are composed of but it must at least include
N, P, and Fe.

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already putting a few mls of Chaetogro every day.

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS: What type of lights are you running on sump and how long everyday?

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run for a year or 2 with Kessil H380 light in a large tank. Nutrients creeped up to 0.22 PO4 and 7 Nitrate. I did change lights to new Kessil refugium light as old one 5+ years burned out. It started to stall. I also made mistake of having new X360 on bloom instead of grow for a few weeks. Chaeto is dark green. in tight 2 liter ball. It is light green and fluffy when growing. I hope Chaetogro works. I really do not want to run Rowaphos. It seems SPS are not happy however little you use with it.

Ketan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine died again. :( I was dosing few drops for Chaetogro everyday. I am running a AI Prime Fuge LED at 80% red and 20% Cool white and 60% Violet and UV. I also have Ulva / Sea lettuce that may have starved out the chaeto. I will remove the lettuce and try again with Chaeto.

Craig085

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Added 500mls to my dosing container today. Is it normal how much this stuff settles down there’s almost an inch think layer of metallic sediment at the bottom. I’m worried the dose will be inconsistent. Looks like it needs to be shaken before dosing.

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Added 500mls to my dosing container today. Is it normal how much this stuff settles down there’s almost an inch think layer of metallic sediment at the bottom. I’m worried the dose will be inconsistent. Looks like it needs to be shaken before dosing.
I believe that it does need to be shaken before use, maybe you could put an airstone in? (I don't know it that would work)

Craig085

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that it does need to be shaken before use, maybe you could put an airstone in? (I don't know it that would work)
That’s a good idea. I could make that work. I wonder could it cause oxidation though? Interested to see how others are dosing it daily. How they manage it. For now I’ll stick to shaking it up and hand dosing weekly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back