Brightwell microbacter XLM start and Caribsea life rock

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting to the finish line setting up a new tank. Rather than transfer rock and everything over I thought I’d go slower. I was thinking about trying Brightwell Aquatics microbacter XLM start kit and using their X-port brick. I have in the new tank new Caribsea live Fiji pink sand that I have rinsed, and Caribsea life rock (dry purple rock seeded with dry bacteria)

I was researching the brightwell kit and noticed it says do NOT use with live sand or Caribsea life rock because the dry seeded bacteria on it interferes with the brightwell live bacteria.

Would this just slow the process? Does it harm anything? Has anyone used these products together and have an opinion?
E3DDB054-49B5-4EBF-9B47-63BB51CBE55A.png
4086687E-E557-4141-B471-B49AC950EDEE.png

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you move the contents of an aquarium to the new? Not entirely clear.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.. sorry for the confusion. The new tank has new sand and rock.

I had originally thought of transferring everything over but decided against it.
OK thanks.

The nitrifying bacteria are slow growers compered to heterotrophic bacteria which overgrow them or deplete their food. Best to not to experiment with bacteria. Who knows what bacteria the rocks are seeded with.

You are in the spot of moving forwards any and take what may come, in this case a slow establishment of the nitrogen cycle. Why not look into Fritz Turbo Start or Bio Spira. I don’t remember so many warngs.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks.

The nitrifying bacteria are slow growers compered to heterotrophic bacteria which overgrow them or deplete their food. Best to not to experiment with bacteria. Who knows what bacteria the rocks are seeded with.

You are in the spot of moving forwards any and take what may come, in this case a slow establishment of the nitrogen cycle. Why not look into Fritz Turbo Start or Bio Spira. I don’t remember so many warngs.
I had originally thought of fritz turbo start and just transferring over a couple of my cardinals or something afterwards. Thank you.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrifying bacteria are slow growers compered to heterotrophic bacteria
It's not even clear to me if these are classic nitrifiers in the brightwell product.
All the classic nitrifier products I've seen don't care what other bacteria are hanging out in the system, they just need some ammonia, O2 and a little time.

Why not look into Fritz Turbo Start or Bio Spira. I don’t remember so many warngs.
Right. Nor do I remember many forum questions about ammonia still hanging out in the system weeks later with biospira, fritz, etc. But the brightwell product does seem to generate questions like that.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not even clear to me if these are classic nitrifiers in the brightwell product.
All the classic nitrifier products I've seen don't care what other bacteria are hanging out in the system, they just need some ammonia, O2 and a little time.

Right. Nor do I remember many forum questions about ammonia still hanging out in the system weeks later with biospira, fritz, etc. But the brightwell product does seem to generate questions like that.
I’ll just plan on using fritz. It was my original plan anyways till I started thinking too much

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can basically ignore brightwells directions. They likely state this to avoid the selection of phosphate in a new tank which may have none. However, I don't think this is a realistic concern. Brightwell is notorious for poor, overcomplicated instructions that often mislead the user into doing the opposite of what they likely want to do (i.e. neophos and neonitrate telling you to carbon dose).

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. The warnings not to mix bacteria products or your cycle might mot move along very quickly makes me wonder whether these are based on experiments they or their suppliers performed or whether they are inferences based on waste water treatment plant experience..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back