Brightwell Neo vs Red Sea Blue bucket

iGotJokess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tired of the inconsistencies with Tropic Marin Pro. I have Calcium reading over 550 fresh after mixing in my water storage. Any reviews on brightwell neomarine vs Red Sea blue bucket? Also, I have a 60 gallon water storage I like to mix my salt so it’s ready for my WC’s. I change 10 gallons a week so I need a salt that won’t lose a lot of its benefits by staying mixed for a few weeks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perish the thought! Mine’s always around 450. Well, I’ve used Red Sea salt and it’s dusty and takes a lot longer to mix (two reasons I like Tropic Marin). Good luck on your salt quest!

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only ever used seachem’s vibrant and neomarine. I really like the neomarine always mixes the same and last for 2-3 weeks in my brute for water changes.
Even though it's consistent in mixing, do you find that it mixes low in elements and you have to boost it a lot?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using NeoMarine for some time now. I really like it. Mixes quickly if you bring your RODI up to temp before starting the process. It has a sulfur smell at first but is normal and will be gone by the time it's clear but something to consider if you mix in living spaces. The parameters are very close to what I keep and have been consistent for me.

I'll say I only mix what I plan to use now. If I do that within a day or two everything is spot on. I feel the alk does drop over time. I'm a little more strict on testing before water changes now so I'm not sure if that's something specific to this salt mix or that I just started to test before wc. Previously I always mixed 55g and used as needed, keeping it heated and mixing.

If you've never bought it before, buy the bucket not the box. The bucket has a great seal on it and is needed, that salt is so dry it will suck up moisture like crazy. If you buy the box, it just comes in a ziptied bag and I'd imagine it will absorb moisture and harden quickly. I buy boxes now, but have multiple clean buckets from previous purchases.

I'd recommend neomarine over blue bucket. I've used both. Neo Marine is lab grade with samples kept back with awesome CS. If you have a serious issue, they have the ability to test your batch number. Red sea I believe is harvested and dried, it also leaves a film/residue in my experience. When mixed properly NeoMarine leaves very little residue, similar to TM at a cheaper price point.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using NeoMarine for some time now. I really like it. Mixes quickly if you bring your RODI up to temp before starting the process. It has a sulfur smell at first but is normal and will be gone by the time it's clear but something to consider if you mix in living spaces. The parameters are very close to what I keep and have been consistent for me.

I'll say I only mix what I plan to use now. If I do that within a day or two everything is spot on. I feel the alk does drop over time. I'm a little more strict on testing before water changes now so I'm not sure if that's something specific to this salt mix or that I just started to test before wc. Previously I always mixed 55g and used as needed, keeping it heated and mixing.

If you've never bought it before, buy the bucket not the box. The bucket has a great seal on it and is needed, that salt is so dry it will suck up moisture like crazy. If you buy the box, it just comes in a ziptied bag and I'd imagine it will absorb moisture and harden quickly. I buy boxes now, but have multiple clean buckets from previous purchases.

I'd recommend neomarine over blue bucket. I've used both. Neo Marine is lab grade with samples kept back with awesome CS. If you have a serious issue, they have the ability to test your batch number. Red sea I believe is harvested and dried, it also leaves a film/residue in my experience. When mixed properly NeoMarine leaves very little residue, similar to TM at a cheaper price point.
Thank you! How long does your salt take to mix (I heard that it takes about 24 hours, but you said it mixes quickly)? Does it mix at 7.5 dKh? I want to keep my tank at around 8.5 and heard it takes a lot of alkalinity to dose to keep it to those levels...

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! How long does your salt take to mix (I heard that it takes about 24 hours, but you said it mixes quickly)? Does it mix at 7.5 dKh? I want to keep my tank at around 8.5 and heard it takes a lot of alkalinity to dose to keep it to those levels...
I mix overnight and yes it's right around there. It usually registers around 8 for me but I think Salifert tends to read higher. If you're mixing 60g, you'd be around 20-30ml alk of most 2 part solutions. I want to say most solutions are 1ml/per gallon raises 2 dkh or so?
I find it's clear after only a few hours if you mix the salt in nice and slow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back