Brightwell's Koral Recover-Anyone?????

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recall reading that about the skimmer- thank you again for posting your experience

Odd how I can’t really find any information when searching online outside of 3 threads that barely even mention it. I’ll see what I can find on BRS TV

Discovering the root cause of Tn..... I’d probably retire a multi millionaire if I was able to do that ;)
I’ve spent the better part of the last year trying to figure that out and have rules out or tested and tried every known thing I’m aware of that can cause Tn as well as many things I wasn’t aware of but discovered in what I’ll describe as a “journey”

I have very little Tn happening at this time but I will still get a piece that show signs of Tn -mostly STN which I’m grateful for since it allows me to try and save the acro. Sadly in the last year I’ve lost close to 70 percent of my acro collection. That percentage equates to probably 70 or more various pieces and when you’re an acro snob like myself that a pretty substantial hit. It’s not the dollar amount that hurts tho, it’s the years of growth just gone.

This is something that had/has hit many acro keepers I know of nationwide.

I’ve been rebuilding the collection most of this year and anything newly added does well but I believe there is still something bacterial ailing/compromising certain acros.

I’ve ordered 2 liters of this and hopefully it arrives today, I’ll more than likely document the procedure for others to possibly take away from.

Thanks again for the posts/information everyone
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve kept sticks for a good while and this past 2 months something has drastically changed when I haven’t changed anything and caused me to lose about half of my acro collection as well. Totaling over 6k at least of all high end sticks. I feel my water company changed something but have given me the run around every time I’ve talked to them. I’ve used the same 4 stage rodi and changed all filters every 6 months for years. I have upgraded to a 7 stage 200 gpd for my new build. I have a few friends who are having the same issue and losing healthy sticks all in the past 4 months or so.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve kept sticks for a good while and this past 2 months something has drastically changed when I haven’t changed anything and caused me to lose about half of my acro collection as well. Totaling over 6k at least of all high end sticks. I feel my water company changed something but have given me the run around every time I’ve talked to them. I’ve used the same 4 stage rodi and changed all filters every 6 months for years. I have upgraded to a 7 stage 200 gpd for my new build. I have a few friends who are having the same issue and losing healthy sticks all in the past 4 months or so.
I’m so sorry, man :( Best of luck!

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the acute problems that you are looking to solve? Most of the time, just high quality lighting and good parameters will get an acro quickly on the road to recovery without any supplements.

I will not use a black box supplement unless I have no other choice... which does happen.

This assumes no pests, which can derail any kind of recovery. Check twice and then check a few more times for red bugs or AEFW. :)

Im looking to solve the random Tn issues Ive experienced over the last year. I agree with this "Most of the time, just high quality lighting and good parameters will get an acro quickly on the road to recovery without any supplements" sadly that hasnt helped and I also agree with this "I will not use a black box supplement unless I have no other choice... which does happen" which is why after 12 plus months Im looking into things that "might help"
Ive had all the pests known to reefwers except blacj bugs and have eradicated all of them, I can say with 100 percent certainty this is not anything you listed. I had thought it was Philster Lucinda after reading the posts and videos posted by the Doc Ara, you were part (involved) of those threads but after more reading and understanding I feel they are mot the cause but rather an opportunistic parasite acting as the clean crew- (causation vs correlation) they are not the cause in my opinion- but its just that, my opinion

Your willing to try this in tank treatment, of something that’s certainly harmful if used wrong, all over some random necrosis that pops up every now and then?
Wait if WWC used it then it’s gotta be used by at least some people around here. Seems like a lot try and copy what they do in their growout tanks.

I would assume the same if what you posted was accurate but........ to categorize losing 70+ acros colonies/frags over the course of a year as something random and "pops up every now and then" isnt my situation. I dont really try and copy anyone, every tanks going to be different even if you replicate all the equipment and practices "they use" there are to many variables in the water column so its just not possible IMO, it will give you the best possibility to replicate what they have going on but, again, to many variables that cant be controlled.

I cant even quantify the money lost but as I mentioned earlier, it wasn't so much the money as it was years of growth and the vast devastation to what was a stellar collection. Prior to this unknown I would say in the last 7 plus years I could probably count the pieces I had suffer from Tn on 2 hands- it just didnt happen. Im a member to few FB groups and there were quite a few that have experienced a very similar situation. It was on FB were I first ran across Doc's stop RTN (before he came here as a sponsor) which gave me hope that I had came across the cause, but that wasn't true.

I hope you and your friends find the problem, Im sure you all have sent in water samples, tested for stray voltage, inspected all equipment in water for rust etc, eliminated the bouncing of parameters, checked all media for contaminates, ruled out lighting and I could go on and on and on but this is all stuff that needs to take place- Im sure Im not telling you anything you dont know. the internet has all of this information.

I have ordered this product (this last Tuesday) and it will be here next week. I fully intend on trying it since there is not a single person Ive contacted or communicated with that has an answer to the problem or a recommendation that I have not tried.

Anyway I was just seeing if anyone had any experience using this product and so far 1 person has with no ill effect that I can tell/see.

Thanks again to all that have posted

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops.....
I didn’t realize I had logged out so no notifications.
Today will be the last treatment of 7 and so far all is good, zero negative effects and haven’t lost anything to necrosis since the treatment started.

I had such little necrosis as of late I can’t say for certain if this product has helped or whatever pieces I was going to lose I lost-Time will tell, I suspect if a week or 2,3 go buy and nothing new stresses and dies I’d say it helped.

I did also replace the last section of rock in my tank so all the live rock has been replaced over the course of 2 months. The tank looks a little bare but I like the new look and will have to post some pics. I had to pull the scroll coral as it was 19” in diameter and out of place being so large. I had a few colonies that I also cut down to more proportional size of what I now have.

I’m sure in 6-7 years it’ll be just as before LOL

Here’s the scroll I pulled
7CF31C21-6B0D-4572-B99A-6DB96D183B7B.jpeg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oops.....
I didn’t realize I had logged out so no notifications.
Today will be the last treatment of 7 and so far all is good, zero negative effects and haven’t lost anything to necrosis since the treatment started.

I had such little necrosis as of late I can’t say for certain if this product has helped or whatever pieces I was going to lose I lost-Time will tell, I suspect if a week or 2,3 go buy and nothing new stresses and dies I’d say it helped.

I did also replace the last section of rock in my tank so all the live rock has been replaced over the course of 2 months. The tank looks a little bare but I like the new look and will have to post some pics. I had to pull the scroll coral as it was 19” in diameter and out of place being so large. I had a few colonies that I also cut down to more proportional size of what I now have.

I’m sure in 6-7 years it’ll be just as before LOL

Here’s the scroll I pulled
7CF31C21-6B0D-4572-B99A-6DB96D183B7B.jpeg

Glad to hear!

Were you following it exactly to the directions on the bottle?

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear!

Were you following it exactly to the directions on the bottle?

I did, it was 5mls per 10 gallons
Also did you turn off your protein skimmer for the whole 7 days?

I let it run but had to really choke back the air intake and open the skimmer adjust fully, similar to any chemi clean treatments
It’s still not back to the original settings (the skimmer) it’s crating a lot of bubbles so I’m gradually getting it set back to the way it was.

Overall I was and am pleased with the outcome and wouldn’t hesitate adding it to a tank. Not sure what LONG TERM effects may be but it’s been on the market over a year Son aid expect to read something online if there were negatives

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did, it was 5mls per 10 gallons

I let it run but had to really choke back the air intake and open the skimmer adjust fully, similar to any chemi clean treatments
It’s still not back to the original settings (the skimmer) it’s crating a lot of bubbles so I’m gradually getting it set back to the way it was.

Overall I was and am pleased with the outcome and wouldn’t hesitate adding it to a tank. Not sure what LONG TERM effects may be but it’s been on the market over a year Son aid expect to read something online if there were negatives

Thank you! Did you notice anything different at all when you were dosing it? (besides having to choke back the skimmer)

Whispers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my fourth day I don’t see any results I will stick it out to the 7 day dose

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefnjunkie
Thoughts on that product now?
I'm quiet now but have also had this boogyman walk all over my tank previously.
Just wondering where your opinion of it sits now a bit later down the road...still a thumbs up?

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefnjunkie
Thoughts on that product now?
I'm quiet now but have also had this boogyman walk all over my tank previously.
Just wondering where your opinion of it sits now a bit later down the road...still a thumbs up?

If I was expecting a cure to whatever I was dealing with (which I was hoping for) it didn’t happen. I’d probably not use it again. I was nearly at the end of my rope when I gave this a shot.

Looking back it’s was early July when I tried this. I think it was probably October I tore my system down and restarted. As much as I may have posted positive results it was short lived, My acros (and just my acros) continued spiraling downward continually suffering from necrosis to where the only choice was a reboot.

Sad part is I will never know so there isn’t a lesson to learn, whatever happened could I suspect happen again.

The reboot has been up and running since Nov 2nd and all is good. I’ll need to update my build thread

Good luck with whatever your dealing with

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was expecting a cure to whatever I was dealing with (which I was hoping for) it didn’t happen. I’d probably not use it again. I was nearly at the end of my rope when I gave this a shot.

Looking back it’s was early July when I tried this. I think it was probably October I tore my system down and restarted. As much as I may have posted positive results it was short lived, My acros (and just my acros) continued spiraling downward continually suffering from necrosis to where the only choice was a reboot.

Sad part is I will never know so there isn’t a lesson to learn, whatever happened could I suspect happen again.

The reboot has been up and running since Nov 2nd and all is good. I’ll need to update my build thread

Good luck with whatever your dealing with

Ok thanks for the update & sorry to hear it led to what you done , i see there is now also a Triton product called Rtn-x hitting the market too but its pretty lacking on any info so far.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the update & sorry to hear it led to what you done , i see there is now also a Triton product called Rtn-x hitting the market too but its pretty lacking on any info so far.

I also tried Dr Dookies Stop RTN or whatever that garbage (turned it to be) was since I was in the last weeks of hope for a solution.

Triton May have a better known name than Dr. Dook but last year was a very learning year for me- I know more now about Philaster Lucinda than ever wanted too as well as what things don’t help Acros from tissue necrosis- I’m going out on a limb and classifying Tritons as, well on second thought I’ll reserve my “opinion”

I did however (just this week) get the results back from the DNA sequencing done by Aquabiomics and I’m going to conclude Vibrio (a strain(s) there of more than likely was the culprit-

Now the question is how did it get introduced, maybe that last batch of 20 Indo colonies from Indo.

Lots of reading to still do- but for now things are great and just about the right time- Indos back open :oops::oops:

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also tried Dr Dookies Stop RTN or whatever that garbage (turned it to be) was since I was in the last weeks of hope for a solution.

Triton May have a better known name than Dr. Dook but last year was a very learning year for me- I know more now about Philaster Lucinda than ever wanted too as well as what things don’t help Acros from tissue necrosis- I’m going out on a limb and classifying Tritons as, well on second thought I’ll reserve my “opinion”

I did however (just this week) get the results back from the DNA sequencing done by Aquabiomics and I’m going to conclude Vibrio (a strain(s) there of more than likely was the culprit-

Now the question is how did it get introduced, maybe that last batch of 20 Indo colonies from Indo.

Lots of reading to still do- but for now things are great and just about the right time- Indos back open :oops::oops:

Don't go talking yourself up trouble LOL
That's interesting what AB found - i did ask him if he was seeing any problem tank/higher vibrio count a while back & the answer was no but guess that can change as the database grows.
I still don't know if its something like vibrio or the ciliates Ara was hitting on & keen to see if triton post any info but the stuff is on the market & there ain't sfa info out with it so i'm going to take a guess we won't be getting any much help from there.
I have a feeling its always in the tank but something leads to it getting a foothold & then it's like trying to stop a moving train, whatever it is.
I did see Mike Paletta in a witch hazel thread somewhere so he maybe also had a round of it.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go talking yourself up trouble LOL
That's interesting what AB found - i did ask him if he was seeing any problem tank/higher vibrio count a while back & the answer was no but guess that can change as the database grows.
I still don't know if its something like vibrio or the ciliates Ara was hitting on & keen to see if triton post any info but the stuff is on the market & there ain't sfa info out with it so i'm going to take a guess we won't be getting any much help from there.
I have a feeling its always in the tank but something leads to it getting a foothold & then it's like trying to stop a moving train, whatever it is.
I did see Mike Paletta in a witch hazel thread somewhere so he maybe also had a round of it.

HAHA- My humor is worse than dry, that was a joke

I gave the witch hazel a shot as well after talking with Andre for quite a while, that was actually the last attempt of trying something before pulling the plug. INO and its just that an opinion after all the reading and discussions with

AB got a sample of my water after everything had been removed, here is a screen shot
Water test Biomes.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back