Brightwell's Razor after day 6

Reckless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a IM40 for over two years and I battled bubble algae from time to time, then moved everything into a IM75 EXT nine months ago. The past month green fuzzy algae started growing on some of my frag discs, maybe it GHA or bryosis I can't tell but it's difficult to scrap off. I dosed 20ml of Microbacter 7 and Clean for two week and haven't seen any change so I started adding Razor. I have followed the instructions and yesterday (Day 6) I notice the green algae stared to look lighter in color (from a deep green to grey/green).

Now today is day seven I'm planning to do a water change and continue my daily changing of my filter socks, that I'm only using because it is recommended when using Razor. I'm not sure how to proceed with Razor. Do I continue using the day 6 dosage, do I start over with the day 1 dosage or do I start the dosage for maintenance?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please share pics when you think they'll be illuminating.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a IM40 for over two years and I battled bubble algae from time to time, then moved everything into a IM75 EXT nine months ago. The past month green fuzzy algae started growing on some of my frag discs, maybe it GHA or bryosis I can't tell but it's difficult to scrap off. I dosed 20ml of Microbacter 7 and Clean for two week and haven't seen any change so I started adding Razor. I have followed the instructions and yesterday (Day 6) I notice the green algae stared to look lighter in color (from a deep green to grey/green).

Now today is day seven I'm planning to do a water change and continue my daily changing of my filter socks, that I'm only using because it is recommended when using Razor. I'm not sure how to proceed with Razor. Do I continue using the day 6 dosage, do I start over with the day 1 dosage or do I start the dosage for maintenance?
Lightening is a sign that thet are losing nutrients and dying but to verify, please as requested post pics under white lighting to verify what you are describing.

OP
OP
Reckless

Reckless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0EEF55FD-0A09-4325-BAE8-22793E97024D.jpeg

20EBFB7C-56F5-4D49-B6AE-C68D4DA8244A.jpeg

The urchin has cleaned part of the four disc at bottom but hasn’t moved since day 5 and 6 of dosing Razor. I detected and removed Ulva from the disc but I’m not sure what algae is growing on the disc and ceramic frag rock.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae does appear to be dying, what kind of urchin is that? It looks like a pin cushion that has lost all of its spines which usually means death, especially if it hasnt moved.

OP
OP
Reckless

Reckless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae does appear to be dying, what kind of urchin is that? It looks like a pin cushion that has lost all of its spines which usually means death, especially if it hasnt moved.
Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin.jpg
Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin

I don't think it's dead yet but it might be effected by Razor or eating the algae dying from Razor

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the spines are dropped like that it is usually dead or very close to death, yes the razor probably did have some affect to it.

OP
OP
Reckless

Reckless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be close to dead but I've had it for over a year and it lost all its spines the first week or two of having it in my other tank. This urchin removed all my bubble algae then stopped moving one day and I thought it was dead until I added it to this tank with two new tuxedo urchins. This urchin removed all the algae from the disc you see in the picture until it stopped moving during day 5 and 6 of dosing Razor. All the Urchins have stopped moving but have tentacles attached to the live rock, so I'm going to do a larger water change today.

I'm not sure if I need to stop dosing Razor, continue at the maintenance dosage or start over. The instructions on the bottle aren't clear after day 6 of dosing Razor. I'm also not sure what algae I'm treating for.

ArtifishaI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be close to dead but I've had it for over a year and it lost all its spines the first week or two of having it in my other tank. This urchin removed all my bubble algae then stopped moving one day and I thought it was dead until I added it to this tank with two new tuxedo urchins. This urchin removed all the algae from the disc you see in the picture until it stopped moving during day 5 and 6 of dosing Razor. All the Urchins have stopped moving but have tentacles attached to the live rock, so I'm going to do a larger water change today.

I'm not sure if I need to stop dosing Razor, continue at the maintenance dosage or start over. The instructions on the bottle aren't clear after day 6 of dosing Razor. I'm also not sure what algae I'm treating for.
Do you have an update?
Was the Razor bad for your inverts?

OP
OP
Reckless

Reckless

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On day 7 my tank looked exactly the same and I performed a water change, but on day 8 all of my bubble algae was clear, like little glass balls. Over the next 2-3 days all of the algae in my tank was gone, it just melted. I followed the instructions and replaced my filter socks daily while dosing Razor. I also started running carbon for a week though it didn't say to do so on the bottle.

The urchin was dead and I replaced it with a tuxedo urchin the next day. The following days the algae in my tank just disappeared and my coralline algae really took off. The back of my tank had small areas of it and now 70% of the back of my tank is covered in coralline algae. The only other inverts I have in my tank are 2 sexy shrimp and 8 Banded Trochus Snails and they all lived through the Brightwell Razor treatment.

In conclusion I would recommend Razor to anyone who has issues with bubble algae or any other nuisance algae's.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the report!

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have fish in the tank as well? Any negative results besides potentially the urchin?

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0EEF55FD-0A09-4325-BAE8-22793E97024D.jpeg

20EBFB7C-56F5-4D49-B6AE-C68D4DA8244A.jpeg

The urchin has cleaned part of the four disc at bottom but hasn’t moved since day 5 and 6 of dosing Razor. I detected and removed Ulva from the disc but I’m not sure what algae is growing on the disc and ceramic frag rock.

DenaliDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On day 7 my tank looked exactly the same and I performed a water change, but on day 8 all of my bubble algae was clear, like little glass balls. Over the next 2-3 days all of the algae in my tank was gone, it just melted. I followed the instructions and replaced my filter socks daily while dosing Razor. I also started running carbon for a week though it didn't say to do so on the bottle.

The urchin was dead and I replaced it with a tuxedo urchin the next day. The following days the algae in my tank just disappeared and my coralline algae really took off. The back of my tank had small areas of it and now 70% of the back of my tank is covered in coralline algae. The only other inverts I have in my tank are 2 sexy shrimp and 8 Banded Trochus Snails and they all lived through the Brightwell Razor treatment.

In conclusion I would recommend Razor to anyone who has issues with bubble algae or any other nuisance algae's.

What course did you take for answering your primary question? Did you continue with the 6th day dose or start over with day 1 dose?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What course did you take for answering your primary question? Did you continue with the 6th day dose or start over with day 1 dose?
Sounds like brightwell intends you to use the maintenance dose (half the max) every other day after day 6....

Screenshot_20230422_090355_Chrome.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back