Brightwells Strontion-P suggested levels of 412 ppm?!

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I just did an ICP test and need to raise my Strontium quite a bit, and am using the Brightwell Strontion-P powder. The instructions say that if your strontium level is below 412 ppm, dose a suggested amount until is raises, etc. This seems to indicate that their minimal suggested strontium level is 412 ppm. My ICP test (ICP-analysis.com) says 10 ppm is suggested reef tank levels, Fiji is about 7.6 ppm, Hawaii is the same. Is their suggested level way off, a typo, or am I missing something here? Most other resources are saying between 5 and 15ppm.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats gotta be a typo or they confused it with calcium. Imo Brightwell stuff is a joke. Their potassium powder is pink suggesting it has impurities. Got a pic of what it says?

OP
OP
ReefEco

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the back of the container where it says 412ppm. I just checked the Brightwell website for the product, and looks like it was a typo on the packaging - as the website instructions say "if below 12ppm" which makes more sense... https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/strontionpt.php

mpoRE0PYQNiOjyeIpXDwrg.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is they are referring referring making a liquid solution out of the powder to match the concentration of their liquid version as further down it mentions the actual strontium number recommended.

OP
OP
ReefEco

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, right? At least they caught it and corrected it on their website. crap happens. Product page on BRS still has the typo though...

OP
OP
ReefEco

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is they are referring referring making a liquid solution out of the powder to match the concentration of their liquid version as further down it mentions the actual strontium number recommended.
Hah, I didn't even read that section below on the label. They suggest 8ppm there as natural sea water levels, but that is even more inconsistent, as their corrected label still says if levels are below 12ppm, then dose.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here i fixed it for easy reading

Attachments

• mpoRE0PYQNiOjyeIpXDwrg.jpg
    mpoRE0PYQNiOjyeIpXDwrg.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 32

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it looks like a typo adding a 4 to the 12ppm max they reccomend.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instructions and Guidelines

Basic
Dissolve 1 gram (~¼ teaspoon) of product per 40 US-gallons of aquarium water in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water; add every other day or as needed to maintain the strontium concentration within a range of 8 - 12 ppm. When used in this fashion, 1,200 g treats up to 48,000 US-gallons (181,700 L).

Advanced
Create a stock solution by dissolving 2 grams (~1 teaspoon) of Strontion-P in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water (preferably purified); each ml of the solution will increase the strontium concentration (”[Sr2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 0.75 ppm. [Reference: Each g of Strontion-P will increase the [Sr2+] in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 143 ppm.] If initial [Sr2+] in aquarium is below 412 ppm, add stock sol’n at maximum rate of 10 ml per 20 US-gallons daily until desired [Sr2+] is attained, then dose daily or weekly as needed (see below). Maintain [Sr2+] within a range of +/-2 ppm. Once desired [Sr2+] has been acquired, measure aquarium's [Sr2+] at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period to determine the daily rate of strontium uptake (i.e. the decrease in strontium). To determine daily dosing rate (preferable to weekly dosing): estimate volume of water in entire aquarium system (US-gal.); divide the daily decrease in [Sr2+] by 0.75; multiply this number by volume of water in system to obtain daily ml of stock sol’n required to maintain stable [Sr2+].

Caution
Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption.

Guaranteed Analysis
Strontium (min) 54% (540,000 ppm)

Ingredients
Strontium chloride (anhydrous)

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If initial [Sr2+] in aquarium is below 412 ppm, add stock sol’n at maximum rate of 10 ml per 20 US-gallons daily until desired [Sr2+] is attained
This says if your tank doesn't have 412ppm of strontium then add more. Which is wrong. It should say if your tank is below 12ppm then add 10ml of the stock solution per day until you reach desired strontium in the tank.

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use their Strontium for dosing. You are correct its says 412ppm. Honestly I never noticed. I know the range needed and just read the part above about dosing the powder measured in grams. I use BW products often but I agree they are sloppy when it comes to instructions. Hanna can be that way too. But the fact these companies don't add a revision sticker (or insert) on the products because it adds cost, tells us their concern for the hobby and livestock is a lot less than we assume.

20220116_124442.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back