Brine shrimp and ammonia spikes. What am I doing wrong?

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Been harvesting baby brine for a while and all is very successful. I do about a gram a week in a one liter bottle with great success. My struggle is that I set up a 10 gallon breeder with just an air line and heater to try and raise them to adults. I use freshly mixed salt water that I would use for normal tank water changes and back the salinity down to 1.020 with RODI. I don’t over populate the tank and only add maybe 10% of the hatch to this tank and feed the rest immediately after hatch. The 10 gallon tank seems to do fine for a couple to few days and then I get an ammonia spike and they all die off. I’ve tried three different food sources for them on three different attempts and the outcome is the same. Ammo ia spike and dead tank. I’ve used in house bread Phyto plankton, R
I make my own Phyto plankton so I’ve tried that, RG complete and spirulina powder. I’m careful not to over feed and make the water too green, I feed daily in all three cases just so the water has a slight color change.

what am I doing wrong and why am I getting this ammonia spike and dead tank after just 2-3 days 3 times in a row? I’ve been successfully breading chaeto, Phyto plankton and multiple strains of copapods for a very long time so I’m confused on what I’m missing here.

Any advise would be much appropriated from peeps that have successfully raised bring to adults and have a proven success rate. Cheers and happy reefing.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the proper range for their salinity is like 1.024-1.028. Phyto plankton and spirulina powder are both good foods. make sure there is enough water movement to keep it suspended.

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the proper range for their salinity is like 1.024-1.028. Phyto plankton and spirulina powder are both good foods. make sure there is enough water movement to keep it suspended.
Yes I have adjusted the flow and the bubbles to make sure the tank is completely circulating but not overly. Just can’t seem to figure out this ammonia spike thing.

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try decapsulating the eggs.
I do t understand. I hatch them in a separate one liter incubator. Screen them out so it to not use the hatch water and add them to the larger tank. All the eggs and empty ones are removed before they go in the large tank.

Saltydog69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its from the food that you feed them. its causing a cycle in the 10 gallon tank.. the holding tank needs to have some established rock or sand bed to feed on the ammonia

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its from the food that you feed them. its causing a cycle in the 10 gallon tank.. the holding tank needs to have some established rock or sand bed to feed on the ammonia
That’s what I thought as well could possibly be the issues but I’ve watched dozens of videos people doing it in buckets and or glass bottom tanks with just a heater and air line absolutely nothing else and growing them successfully two adults for months and months at a time so what am I missing?

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought as well could possibly be the issues but I’ve watched dozens of videos people doing it in buckets and or glass bottom tanks with just a heater and air line absolutely nothing else and growing them successfully two adults for months and months at a time so what am I missing?

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact in every single video I’ve ever watched of people doing this successfully, no one has rocks or sand in their tank.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think 1.020 is too low of a salinity
That's about-ish what I use and never had any issues.

Regarding the ammonia, are you changing the water? I only make one 'batch' at a time (more or less as much as I use in one shot). If I let it go for an extra day or two, everything dies and it smells pretty bad.
I'd imagine if you want to keep them longer, you need be filtering them and replacing the old water every few days. But I could be wrong, I've never had any (living ones) in water for more than 48 hours.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do t understand. I hatch them in a separate one liter incubator. Screen them out so it to not use the hatch water and add them to the larger tank. All the eggs and empty ones are removed before they go in the large tank.
I don’t remember ever testing for ammonia but I put the crashes down to bacteria. Decapsulating the eggs gets rid of any nasties that may or may not be on the shell. I’m actually gonna start this game again as it’s been a while.

Saltydog69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so then its something in your rodi water.. or the food that you giving them. your using the green powder food right?
maybe silicates in the water are too high.. have you ever tested your rodi water with icp test?

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember ever testing for ammonia but I put the crashes down to bacteria. Decapsulating the eggs gets rid of any nasties that may or may not be on the shell. I’m actually gonna start this game again as it’s been a while.
How do you decapsulate the eggs prior to adding the babies to the tank?

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so then its something in your rodi water.. or the food that you giving them. your using the green powder food right?
maybe silicates in the water are too high.. have you ever tested your rodi water with icp test?

Yea water has been tested. Zero TDS, choline etc. I run a shop and propagate corals. Have over 2000 gallons and 11 tanks that use the water. I have a 200 gallon RODI with TDS alert systems on it and a 100 gallon mixing station. All the water is ran through a huge while house system then two softeners, then three stage prefikteting and 2 stage RO before 3 stage DI then UV sterilized.

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used spirilina powder, RG complete and Phyto plankton on three individual tries and they all crash from ammonia after 2-3 days regardless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back