Bring on the clowns!!! Have clownfish ever bred in your tanks?

Have clownfish ever bred in your tanks?

• I have raised clownfish from eggs to adults.

Votes: 27 10.2%
  • The clownfish eggs have hatched but haven’t fully grown out.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • My clownfish have laid eggs in my tank, but have not hatched.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • My clownfish haven’t laid eggs

Votes: 134 50.4%
  • I haven’t kept a pair of clownfish.

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For many of us there is something almost magical about clownfish. From all the different species and the different patterns and variation to the “made for marketing” looks (and even a movie!), clownfish are a common sight throughout the hobby. Their built-in aggression and hierarchy of dominance can lead to fascinating transitions with the fish as they fill their roles in the breeding process. Clownfish will sometimes lay eggs in our reef tanks, but the eggs are just the first step. Having the eggs hatch and grow add additional stages and challenges which are often completed in a separate tank or tanks. What is your experience with breeding clownfish? Have clownfish laid eggs in your tank? Did the eggs hatch? Have you been able to grow out the clownfish? Please share in the thread below!

BLclownfry.jpg

Picture of young clownfish from Darrell’s Aquarium by @Peace River

Many successful aquarists who breed clownfish have a full setup for clownfish breeding including separate tanks for each pair of clownfish, a hatching tank, grow out tanks, (let’s not forget) the rotifer tank for growing food for the newly hatched fish, and everything else that goes along with the process.

Looking for some specifics about breeding clownfish? Here is a link to a thread from one of our members explaining their clownfish breeding experience. If you are looking for additional help or inspiration, you can check out two related sections of the R2R forum: Fish Breeding Forum and Anemone & Clownfish Discussion. Have you ever set up a clownfish system, planned one that you haven’t built yet, or admired someone else’s clownfish system? Tell us about it in the discussion below or post a link to the related thread.
Bought my pair at the beginning of 2005 and apart from taking a break last year they are back at it and going strong.

Vincenc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing that I do not think was mentioned. Is you need a place to get rid off them. I let the first 2 batches get eating. While I prepared for fry. First batch I did was over a 100 so I figured I keep going till food for rots and fry ran out. Batches got bigger.
I wound up with 650 clownfish.
I still have over 400.
One store told me store credit but I do not need anything they sell. Another told my they only take donations.

Attachments

• 20220930_141324.mp4
    47.9 MB
  • 20220201_083312.mp4
    77.4 MB

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK everyone. Is this what I think it is? Apparently I need to read through this whole thread because I have no idea what do if anything...
IMG_1500.jpg

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like it may be eggs, but it is hard to tell from the blurry pic due to the water surface. Don't panic, nothing to do, they will be good food for the tank. Raising clowns is a process which you would need to research and prepare for. They will likely spawn again a week or so after the eggs hatch, so you will have more chances to raise them if you want to get involved in that "mad scientist" project.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently I need to read through this whole thread because I have no idea what do if anything...
Don't do anything. Just be happy knowing your fish love you and are doing what fish do. They will probably lay eggs every couple of weeks and usually, but not always in the same place.

You probably won't even see the fry when they hatch but they do what fry are supposed to do. I won't say what that is because I don't want to upset you or anyone but it is normal.

If you have two clownfish and they don't spawn, then you have a problem.

Have a great day. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reeferx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone selling a group of 10-15 preferred designer clowns?

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Clownfish experts...Do the eggs hatch over multiple days? Last night there were hundreds of tiny fry swimming around - but this AM there are still eggs with shining little eyeballs. The male is still tending to them. Thoughts?

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Clownfish experts...Do the eggs hatch over multiple days? Last night there were hundreds of tiny fry swimming around - but this AM there are still eggs with shining little eyeballs. The male is still tending to them. Thoughts?
The answer is yes! We had another hatch night last night. Its their first clutch so its off to a slow start...

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For many of us there is something almost magical about clownfish. From all the different species and the different patterns and variation to the “made for marketing” looks (and even a movie!), clownfish are a common sight throughout the hobby. Their built-in aggression and hierarchy of dominance can lead to fascinating transitions with the fish as they fill their roles in the breeding process. Clownfish will sometimes lay eggs in our reef tanks, but the eggs are just the first step. Having the eggs hatch and grow add additional stages and challenges which are often completed in a separate tank or tanks. What is your experience with breeding clownfish? Have clownfish laid eggs in your tank? Did the eggs hatch? Have you been able to grow out the clownfish? Please share in the thread below!

BLclownfry.jpg

Picture of young clownfish from Darrell’s Aquarium by @Peace River

Many successful aquarists who breed clownfish have a full setup for clownfish breeding including separate tanks for each pair of clownfish, a hatching tank, grow out tanks, (let’s not forget) the rotifer tank for growing food for the newly hatched fish, and everything else that goes along with the process.

Looking for some specifics about breeding clownfish? Here is a link to a thread from one of our members explaining their clownfish breeding experience. If you are looking for additional help or inspiration, you can check out two related sections of the R2R forum: Fish Breeding Forum and Anemone & Clownfish Discussion. Have you ever set up a clownfish system, planned one that you haven’t built yet, or admired someone else’s clownfish system? Tell us about it in the discussion below or post a link to the related thread.
I have a breeding pair of clowns. The male being a premium frostbite the female being a davinci. I get tons of eggs every other week. The eggs take about 8 days to hatch and then the fry take a few weeks to start show colors. Man I get some sweet combos. I also have 2 other pairs that are paired up but haven't laid yet. A black storm male snow Storm female and a Wyoming white male and Wyoming white female. Will see what they bring. The only thing I don't like about the breeding is all the tanks needed between breeding tanks, hatch tanks, fry tanks, grow out tanks, not to mention rotifer cultures. I have 3 local places that i sell my offspring to for wholesale cost.

IsaacHunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is yes! We had another hatch night last night. Its their first clutch so its off to a slow start...
They usually hatch at the same time shortly after darkness unless the lights are turned back on in which case any unhatched will hatch during the next period of darkness

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back