Bring on the clowns!!! Have clownfish ever bred in your tanks?

Have clownfish ever bred in your tanks?

• I have raised clownfish from eggs to adults.

Votes: 27 10.2%
  • The clownfish eggs have hatched but haven’t fully grown out.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • My clownfish have laid eggs in my tank, but have not hatched.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • My clownfish haven’t laid eggs

Votes: 133 50.2%
  • I haven’t kept a pair of clownfish.

Votes: 19 7.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

For many of us there is something almost magical about clownfish. From all the different species and the different patterns and variation to the “made for marketing” looks (and even a movie!), clownfish are a common sight throughout the hobby. Their built-in aggression and hierarchy of dominance can lead to fascinating transitions with the fish as they fill their roles in the breeding process. Clownfish will sometimes lay eggs in our reef tanks, but the eggs are just the first step. Having the eggs hatch and grow add additional stages and challenges which are often completed in a separate tank or tanks. What is your experience with breeding clownfish? Have clownfish laid eggs in your tank? Did the eggs hatch? Have you been able to grow out the clownfish? Please share in the thread below!

BLclownfry.jpg

Picture of young clownfish from Darrell’s Aquarium by @Peace River

Many successful aquarists who breed clownfish have a full setup for clownfish breeding including separate tanks for each pair of clownfish, a hatching tank, grow out tanks, (let’s not forget) the rotifer tank for growing food for the newly hatched fish, and everything else that goes along with the process.

Looking for some specifics about breeding clownfish? Here is a link to a thread from one of our members explaining their clownfish breeding experience. If you are looking for additional help or inspiration, you can check out two related sections of the R2R forum: Fish Breeding Forum and Anemone & Clownfish Discussion. Have you ever set up a clownfish system, planned one that you haven’t built yet, or admired someone else’s clownfish system? Tell us about it in the discussion below or post a link to the related thread.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a typo in the poll?

My clownfish have laid eggs in my tank, but I have not hatched.

Pretty sure us humans aren't hatched, least of all from clownfish eggs. LOL

(Moderator's Note: Type fixed. Thanks for the heads up.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clowns are still too young. . . that means they are still both female right??
Females will be the larger and more dominant ones. However they won't reach breeding age until two years. Males can breed as young as 6 months.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a typo in the poll?

My clownfish have laid eggs in my tank, but I have not hatched.

Pretty sure us humans aren't hatched, least of all from clownfish eggs. LOL
Still yet, if we haven't hatched then we can't take the poll yet.
Haha, I crack myself up. :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are fairly easy to breed - it's difficult to feed the young. once hatched. (They need very small food). There are a variety of foods out there for feeding 'fry' - though my babies ate it, I had an ammonia issue in the tank they were in.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair just bred for the first time over the past 10 days. Some hatched last night!

The pair are a little over two years old. Thy occupy a clay flower pot in my 125 gallon tank. I moved the pot to an open QT on day 5 and placed an airstone next to the eggs. At least a half dozen hatched in the evening. They are tiny. I bought live rotifers to feed them if I'm able. I don't have confidence the fry will survive, but I will be better prepared next time. Hope the parents continue to try.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater fish was a Clownfish. I bought it within a month of Finding Nemo was released. I killed it within a month. I have never attempted one again. That was 2003. I am currently on the look out for my last fish for my tank and it is going to be a clownfish.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My momma always regreted the day I hatched....:dizzy-face:

My tomato clownfish have been breeding for years. I presume they hatch at the right time and the corals or the protein skimmer eat them.

Excited Happy Birthday GIF by Mickey Mouse
I have thought I might try to raise a batch someday but that's probably never gonna happen? Nice links for folks who want to enjoy a very cool aspect of our hobby!.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pair just bred for the first time over the past 10 days. Some hatched last night!

The pair are a little over two years old. Thy occupy a clay flower pot in my 125 gallon tank. I moved the pot to an open QT on day 5 and placed an airstone next to the eggs. At least a half dozen hatched in the evening. They are tiny. I bought live rotifers to feed them if I'm able. I don't have confidence the fry will survive, but I will be better prepared next time. Hope the parents continue to try.
They will definitely continue to try lol:). probably every 2-3 weeks. My problem was 1. My clowns would not spawn on a rock - they liked the glass - so I had to use the method of sucking them out with a light on the night of hatching. 2. My female jumped out of the tank when my son left the cover (the little door) open.

However - Here is what I would suggest to you. to increase hatching. Leave the flower pot. When the eggs turn from orange to silver (and you can often see them moving) - put a bigger container under the flower pot - take water from your display - put it into a new tank - and then with the flower pot in the display water - add that to the new tank. You will have a much higher percentage of survivors. You can actually predict the date of hatching - by the color of the eggs - and it always happens once its dark - on that day

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a mismatched pair, male cinnamon, female tomato. I got them, as a pair, from a guy that was tearing down a tank. He said they'd been together for years... and that was years ago. Living happily together on a bomma covered in rainbow bubble tip nems. They lay regularly... but I've never made any attempt to raise the fry.

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For many of us there is something almost magical about clownfish. From all the different species and the different patterns and variation to the “made for marketing” looks (and even a movie!), clownfish are a common sight throughout the hobby. Their built-in aggression and hierarchy of dominance can lead to fascinating transitions with the fish as they fill their roles in the breeding process. Clownfish will sometimes lay eggs in our reef tanks, but the eggs are just the first step. Having the eggs hatch and grow add additional stages and challenges which are often completed in a separate tank or tanks. What is your experience with breeding clownfish? Have clownfish laid eggs in your tank? Did the eggs hatch? Have you been able to grow out the clownfish? Please share in the thread below!

BLclownfry.jpg

Picture of young clownfish from Darrell’s Aquarium by @Peace River

Many successful aquarists who breed clownfish have a full setup for clownfish breeding including separate tanks for each pair of clownfish, a hatching tank, grow out tanks, (let’s not forget) the rotifer tank for growing food for the newly hatched fish, and everything else that goes along with the process.

Looking for some specifics about breeding clownfish? Here is a link to a thread from one of our members explaining their clownfish breeding experience. If you are looking for additional help or inspiration, you can check out two related sections of the R2R forum: Fish Breeding Forum and Anemone & Clownfish Discussion. Have you ever set up a clownfish system, planned one that you haven’t built yet, or admired someone else’s clownfish system? Tell us about it in the discussion below or post a link to the related thread.
My clarkie queen killed its partner chased it off to death ..nasty nasty

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fireclowns spawn about every `10 days. They are between 28 and 31 years old (I lost their birth certificate)
I never raised these but I have raised Perculas many years ago.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago in a older setup. .
I had a pair that would lay eggs every 15-20 days .
I considered attempting raising them but more research was and another tank was needed .
Free fish food.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I feed daily my Wyoming whites breed. The eggs are always under their rbta. I know when they lay as the male disappears and doesn't even come out for food.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back