Bringing color to FOWLR

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220G FOWLR with angels and Butterflies! would like to add some colors to it . What's the best and easy method?

WIll GSps work?
Will anemones work ?

If I add Anemone do I need to target feed? j

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220G FOWLR with angels and Butterflies! would like to add some colors to it . What's the best and easy method?

WIll GSps work?
Will anemones work ?

If I add Anemone do I need to target feed? j
Perhaps photo of your tank?

Anemones every week or so should be target fed, but primarily they depend on light - your FOWLR light may need to be upgraded because anemones need light more aligned to coral needs than fish needs

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps photo of your tank?

Anemones every week or so should be target fed, but primarily they depend on light - your FOWLR light may need to be upgraded because anemones need light more aligned to coral needs than fish needs
I have coral rated LED lights I can add one more lighting if it works

Attachments

• Aqua.mp4
    38.2 MB

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a reef tank and a fowlr tank. I would recommend zoa. You can get cheap ones, lots of colors and they spread quickly. Answer to your question- most angels and butterflies are reef safe with caution at best.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 125 gallon with SPS, LPS, & softy’s and 2 years later the only corals still alive are Yuma mushrooms and rock anemones. My Regal and Blueline angels slowly developed a taste for everything else. (What’s the best and easiest)- colorful fake corals.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from FOWLR to reef is more testing water parameter work, but if you have the lighting already and desire.... GO FOR IT!! Its your tank.

Coral frag plugs open the door (wider than FOWLR) to all sorts of nasties so be sure to look into and use dips and use toothbrush to scrub frag plug.

agree with zoa vote already on here - great pops of color and a little bit of movement on their 'feather' tips surrounding each polyp. If you have allergies, take palytoxin warning seriously and use caution. I sit here on double antihistamines from tank cleaning this weekend - itchy hive welts all up both forearms... but I will get even more zoas if I find colors that will enhance tank (and I'll use even more caution, ... though I said that last time, ... and time before that... and, well - I just don't learn to use gloves LOL)

ALSO, vote montiporas because their encrustings can be gorgeous and on that bare bottom - wow - I'd start a few down there so even what is glass bottom now will have interest

No vote for anemones with corals - I'm phasing out anemones. They don't coexist well with corals - can spend a year growing out coral and anemone kills it in day

Also not vote for toadstool or other leather corals because their toxins can sneak up on someone (me) even if running charcoal, killing other corals and anemones even at distance.

Finally, if my fish eat some of my coral, well fish likely become more healthy because it must be something they want in their diet. I like my fish more than my corals. Prioritize what YOU like and then go that direction.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from FOWLR to reef is more testing water parameter work, but if you have the lighting already and desire.... GO FOR IT!! Its your tank.

Coral frag plugs open the door (wider than FOWLR) to all sorts of nasties so be sure to look into and use dips and use toothbrush to scrub frag plug.

agree with zoa vote already on here - great pops of color and a little bit of movement on their 'feather' tips surrounding each polyp. If you have allergies, take palytoxin warning seriously and use caution. I sit here on double antihistamines from tank cleaning this weekend - itchy hive welts all up both forearms... but I will get even more zoas if I find colors that will enhance tank (and I'll use even more caution, ... though I said that last time, ... and time before that... and, well - I just don't learn to use gloves LOL)

ALSO, vote montiporas because their encrustings can be gorgeous and on that bare bottom - wow - I'd start a few down there so even what is glass bottom now will have interest

No vote for anemones with corals - I'm phasing out anemones. They don't coexist well with corals - can spend a year growing out coral and anemone kills it in day

Also not vote for toadstool or other leather corals because their toxins can sneak up on someone (me) even if running charcoal, killing other corals and anemones even at distance.

Finally, if my fish eat some of my coral, well fish likely become more healthy because it must be something they want in their diet. I like my fish more than my corals. Prioritize what YOU like and then go that direction.
I am just gonna try some Zoas and GSP will see how it goes .. Thanks for the tips and advice !

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just gonna try some Zoas and GSP will see how it goes .. Thanks for the tips and advice !
Put a gsp hope it opens up ... and my water parameters won't kill it. My butterfly and angel nipped It lot of times

Attachments

• 20211019_220947.jpg
    20211019_220947.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 34

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the most noxious corals that probably taste bad like leathers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back