OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Nice job Alex! Love those clowns I wish they would wallow around in that frog spawn

Me too! They claimed the back corner. On occasion they will sit on the mushroom. Phosphate is killing me. When the light is off the tank has a nice shade of green on the rocks. Snails do a decent job controlling algae but I want to lower phosphate and water changes don’t do enough. I have a chemical media I’m going to try instead of ChemiPure. It’s called Blue Life Clear Fx Pro. I think it’ll help with my phosphate issue.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, PO4 was .43 this morning and after water change and replacing the spent ChemiPure with the Clear Fx Pro my PO4 is now down to .21. I’m going to do another water change tomorrow to get PO4 down even more.

I should have done the two water changes and then changed the ChemiPure out for the Clear Fx Pro. I probably used up the phosphate absorbing capacity of the medium already. Oh well, live and learn.

I also determined yesterday that my RODI waste ratio is 3.2:1. Not too shabby.

I have to replenish my CUC. I’m going to place another order with reefcleaners.org. I’ll switch it up and get some different snails this time.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So PO4 is now down to .15 after another water change this morning. I figure I’ll do one more water change tomorrow morning and then replace the bag of ClearFX Pro. I’m pretty sure I depleted the PO4 absorbing capacity of the ClearFX Pro. I should have definitely waited to use it until after all water changes. I also decided I’m going to get a RFG for the output nozzle.

I also used my $50 WWC credit and bought a zoa frag for my tank.
6BC5A1D9-8D6C-4A3F-ADBE-55D85C01E192.png

Can’t wait till it gets here!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI,sorry have to be short ,do not bring phos to zero .05,will be back later,others may explain ,or i'll catch up w ya later ,be safe enjoy :)

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What month it's been. The Blue Life ClearFX Pro helped tremendously with PO4 and the clarity in the tank is amazing. I received the Gobstopper Zoa from WWC and it's the most disappointing purchase I've made for the aquarium. Only one of 5 polyps have opened and it only opens halfway. The rest of the coral is shrinking. Over the course of the month it's been in three different spots. Right now it's getting about 75 PAR. I already reached out to WWC and they offered to send me another when I place my next order. Not too happy with that, I have to place another order in order to get a replacement coral, kinda sucks. I have other corals from WWC, including an Eagle Eye Koa frag that over the course of 2 months, went from 3 polyps to over 10. I honestly think shipping did a number on this frag. Maybe it'll open one day.

I removed the IceCap1K Gyre. After all this time I determined it is just too much flow for the 16 gallon BioCube. I tried to put it vertically in the back corner under the return. It is truly the best spot for it as it doesn't destroy the sand bed, however, the curved glass of the BioCube causes the current to form a tornado like flow. I will definitely use it when I transfer everything to the WaterBox Cube 20. I purchased an Aqamai KPS to use instead. I was very hesitant as all reviews stated that you have to disconnect from your home WiFi and connect directly to the pump to control it. I don't know if Aqamai changed/updated the app or people just didn't know what they were doing but the app allows you to connect the pump to your home WiFi network. It was a piece of cake to set up. The app is awesome! It comes preloaded with tons of programming schedules based on what kind of tank you have, sps, lps, soft, etc. and by aquarium size. The app allows you to program the pump in 30 minute intervals. I plan to get another pump for the opposite side of the aquarium. I will then run them opposite one another 30 minutes at a time. The KPS is one of my favorite purchases so far.

So I have been using the IceCap K1 Nano Skimmer for awhile now. It has been fantastic. The only negative is that I have had to use it in the display. Every couple of days I have to break the skimmer down to remove some dwarf cerith snails. It's very annoying. Well last week a snail broke the skimmer pump. Somehow the snail was able to dislodge the impeller shaft from the pump. I believe the shaft is permanently attached as the bottom of the shaft is etched. So when the impeller spins the shaft breaks free and the impeller wobbles because its not spinning around a stationary shaft. I ordered a new pump. The skimmer is amazing for small nano aquariums but it should definitely not be used in the display with small snails. I think they are attracted to the pump. HAHA! I will definitely be using the K1 in the back of the WaterBox Cube 20. It is a perfect fit.

I decided to try another skimmer in the BioCube in the meantime. I used Tunze's education discount and ordered a Tunze 9001 DC skimmer. I am excited to see how it performs in comparison to the K1 Nano. The one plus is that the pump will not allow snails to enter, so it might be better as an in display skimmer. It should be here today. I am also now looking at switching salt. I've narrowed it down to AquaForest, ESV, or a variety of Tropic Marin. We will see what happens.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice,9001 good skimmer imo,as far as broken impeller,gel super glue will repair that if just seperated,CORALS and no PICS?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking good!!

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is doing well. To get ready for some new frags I made two DIY frag racks with egg crate and Ocean Wonders Rubber Epoxy coated magnets. I also successfully pulled the gobstopper zoa off the frag plug from WWC and attached it to a new clean plug. They still aren't opening. I put them up high, maybe more light will help.
IMG_7436.jpeg
IMG_7385.jpeg

I am beginning my transition to my WaterBox Cube 20. The stand is assembled and level. The tank has been water tested. My control board came in from Marine Depot and I have a lot of equipment ready to go.

IMG_7437.jpeg

Here's the list:
WaterBox Cube 20
Marine Depot Control Board
Kessil A160WE
IceCap ATO
CaribSea LifeRock
2 Aqamai KPS pumps
IceCap Gyre 1K
Eheim 75 watt Heater
Tunze 9001 DC Skimmer
InTank Media Basket

Lastly, I am officially switching to AquaForest Reef Salt. I am done with Fritz. Got to the bottom of my latest box and the inconsistencies are ridiculous. The last batch I mixed on Saturday tested at 11.4dKH. Now I just need to decide how best to transition. DoI just do my next 5 gallon water change with the AquaForest or do I do several small, 2 gallon changes. Anyway, I'll have some new coral in the next few days. So I'll be back with pictures.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is doing well. To get ready for some new frags I made two DIY frag racks with egg crate and Ocean Wonders Rubber Epoxy coated magnets. I also successfully pulled the gobstopper zoa off the frag plug from WWC and attached it to a new clean plug. They still aren't opening. I put them up high, maybe more light will help.
IMG_7436.jpeg
IMG_7385.jpeg

I am beginning my transition to my WaterBox Cube 20. The stand is assembled and level. The tank has been water tested. My control board came in from Marine Depot and I have a lot of equipment ready to go.

IMG_7437.jpeg

Here's the list:
WaterBox Cube 20
Marine Depot Control Board
Kessil A160WE
IceCap ATO
CaribSea LifeRock
2 Aqamai KPS pumps
IceCap Gyre 1K
Eheim 75 watt Heater
Tunze 9001 DC Skimmer
InTank Media Basket

Lastly, I am officially switching to AquaForest Reef Salt. I am done with Fritz. Got to the bottom of my latest box and the inconsistencies are ridiculous. The last batch I mixed on Saturday tested at 11.4dKH. Now I just need to decide how best to transition. DoI just do my next 5 gallon water change with the AquaForest or do I do several small, 2 gallon changes. Anyway, I'll have some new coral in the next few days. So I'll be back with pictures.
IMO I would do a 5g wc and not worry about. Looking forward to seeing these new corals in your tank lol.

sjohnson2152

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that you built a classroom tank. The very reason I have a saltwater tank today is because of my 6th grade science teacher. He had a big 6 foot reef tank in the classroom . He would take us to the fish stores after school when he'd be in the market for new corals and fish. After I graduated college and got a job I decided I was an adult and could do what I wanted so I went out and impulsively bought a 20 long and a pair of clowns. 10 years later I'm still at it--been through a few upgrades; A few years ago bought a house and ripped out some walls a few months in just so we could put in a 120 gallon peninsula. I didn't learn much in science class that year because I was always too distracted looking at the tank, but I'd say I learned something more important in the end.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that you built a classroom tank. The very reason I have a saltwater tank today is because of my 6th grade science teacher. He had a big 6 foot reef tank in the classroom . He would take us to the fish stores after school when he'd be in the market for new corals and fish. After I graduated college and got a job I decided I was an adult and could do what I wanted so I went out and impulsively bought a 20 long and a pair of clowns. 10 years later I'm still at it--been through a few upgrades; A few years ago bought a house and ripped out some walls a few months in just so we could put in a 120 gallon peninsula. I didn't learn much in science class that year because I was always too distracted looking at the tank, but I'd say I learned something more important in the end.

If even one of my students gets into the hobby when they are older then my tank will have served it's purpose.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my new frags are in the tank and thriving. I got them from a friend. I'm so grateful for the wonderful people I have met through this forum. I got an Orange Monti, Ora Kelly Green, Birds Nest, Jac-O-Lantern Leptoseris, Bubble Coral, Duncan, toadstool and an Easter egg Chalice. Then to top it all off my neighbor gave me a head from her Torch Colony that had been knocked off previously.
IMG_7576.jpeg
IMG_7578.jpeg
IMG_7571.jpeg

I finally made the switch to AquaForest Reef Salt. I just completed my first 5 gallon water change. It was difficult. Turns out my refractometer was slightly off and I couldn't get the water to the right salinity. My refractometer said the water was 1.026 but alkalinity was only testing at 7.3. I went out to Top Shelf Aquatics and picked up the Hanna Salinity Pen. Once I had that I was able to get the water to 1.026 exactly. This brought the alkalinity up to 7.6. This means my tank's salinity was actually lower than I thought. Well anyway, this weekend I will complete another 5 gallon water change. I plan to keep the water between 7.6-7.8dKH. This way I don't have to dose up my water change water. I also started using my ESV B-Ionic Alkalinity and Calcium supplements. Good stuff.

Getting closer to starting up the new tank. Can't wait. It'll be a better version of the BioCube. I also got some new fragging tools so I can try to remove the mushrooms and trim back the GSP.

Last edited:

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my new frags are in the tank and thriving. I got them from a friend. I'm so grateful for the wonderful people I have met through this forum. I got an Orange Monti, Ora Kelly Green, Birds Nest, Jac-O-Lantern Leptoseris, Bubble Coral, Duncan, toadstool and an Easter egg Chalice. Then to top it all off my neighbor gave me a head from her Torch Colony that had been knocked off previously.
IMG_7576.jpeg
IMG_7578.jpeg
IMG_7571.jpeg

I finally made the switch to AquaForest Reef Salt. I just completed my first 5 gallon water change. It was difficult. Turns out my refractometer was slightly off and I couldn't get the water to the right salinity. My refractometer was said the water was 1.026 but alkalinity was only testing at 7.3. I went out to Top Shelf Aquatics and picked up the Hanna Salinity Pen. Once I had that I was able to get the water to 1.026 exactly. This brought the alkalinity up to 7.6. This means my tank's salinity was actually lower than I thought. Well anyway, this weekend I will complete another 5 gallon water change. I plan to keep the water between 7.6-7.8dKH. This way I don't have to dose up my water change water. I also started using my ESV B-Ionic Alkalinity and Calcpplements. Good stuff.

Getting closer to starting up the new tank. Can't wait. It'll be a better version of the BioCube. I also got some new fragging tools so I can try to remove the mushrooms and trim back the GSP.
Looking really nice Alex....great job
IMG_7576.jpeg
IMG_7578.jpeg
IMG_7571.jpeg

I finally made the switch to AquaForest Reef Salt. I just completed my first 5 gallon water change. It was difficult. Turns out my refractometer was slightly off and I couldn't get the water to the right salinity. My refractometer was said the water was 1.026 but alkalinity was only testing at 7.3. I went out to Top Shelf Aquatics and picked up the Hanna Salinity Pen. Once I had that I was able to get the water to 1.026 exactly. This brought the alkalinity up to 7.6. This means my tank's salinity was actually lower than I thought. Well anyway, this weekend I will complete another 5 gallon water change. I plan to keep the water between 7.6-7.8dKH. This way I don't have to dose up my water change water. I also started using my ESV B-Ionic Alkalinity and Calcium supplements. Good stuff.

looks really nice! Great job

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed my second AquaForest water change last week and couldn't be happier. I took the bag out of the bucket and mixed it up well. I flipped it and rolled it over and over. I think mixed up my salt to 1.026 and it tested at 7.9dKH, just perfect. I was brave this past week. I removed the Turbinaria and glued it to a tile. I then put the Hollywood Stunner in the back corner of the tank. I then removed the large donut shaped rock I had sitting at the top. I broke it with a screw driver and hammer and got rid of the mushrooms that have been taking over. I was then able to peel back the GSP as well. I then glued a small piece of the rock back where it was and dropped another piece in the back of the aquarium. When I'm ready to seed the new tank I can use that rock. I then glued my pink tip torch on the rock. The tank looks great. Just a little crowded where the bubble and Devil's Hand is. The Devil's Hand is no longer happy, it gets beat up and stung by the Bubble Coral.

IMG_7666.jpeg
IMG_7655.jpeg
IMG_7671.jpeg
IMG_7577.jpeg
IMG_7656.jpeg
IMG_7657.jpeg

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found 4 Vermatid Snails on the torch skeleton the other day. After consulting with a friend I removed the torch. I used my small hobby snippers to smash the tube of the Vermatid. I then used tweezers to crush whatever remained. I covered each spot in glue, rinsed the coral and glued it back in place. I cleaned my heater today. I pulled it from the tank and rinsed the debris build up. I also went to clean the suction cup mount and when I detached the suction cup from the mount I found a Brittle Star. Very cool. I also purchased an APC-UPS. I’m going to plug the return and wave pump into the battery portion. I’ll get 3 hours of run time, just enough for a short power outage. We also bought a generator for after a hurricane. Hopefully we never need it. Lastly, I finally have Coraline growing on my return and overflows. So exciting! It is a beautiful purplish pink.

Last edited:

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found 4 Vermatid Snails on the torch skeleton the other day. After consulting with a friend I removed the torch. I used my small hobby snippers to smash the tube of the Vermatid. I then used tweezers to crush whatever remained. I rinsed the coral and glued it back in place.

I cleaned my heater today. I pulled it from the tank and rinsed the debris build up. I also went to clean the suction cup mount and when I detached the suction cup from the mount I found a Brittle Star. Very cool.

I also purchased an APC-UPS. I’m going to plug the return and wave pump into the battery portion. I’ll get 3 hours of run time, just enough for a short power outage. We also bought a generator for after a hurricane. Hopefully we never need it.
Does the battery backup stay plugged in or do you charge it and then it's stored for when you use it also do you plug all your plugs into the battery backup that you want to run off of it sort like a power strip

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back