Bristle worm?

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this in my tank. I'm thinking it's a bristle worm though I've never seen one this tiny or white in color. It's about 4mm long.
20210127_132122.jpg

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it has four whiskers which isnt typical for the regular bristle worms. I cant give you a id though, maybe someone else can.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it has four whiskers which isnt typical for the regular bristle worms. I cant give you a id though, maybe someone else can.
I did a broader search for "saltwater worms" and stumbled upon dorvilleidae worms. That might be what we're looking at here. Nice observation on the whiskers. I hadn't noticed those.

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a broader search for "saltwater worms" and stumbled upon dorvilleidae worms. That might be what we're looking at here. Nice observation on the whiskers. I hadn't noticed those.
It seems I had one crawling on the glass. About 3/4 inch long

Attachments

• 20210430_204839.jpg
    20210430_204839.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210430_204837.jpg
    20210430_204837.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 28

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
NOT a dorvillidae but rater a eunicid worm and one you DO NOT want in your tank. Rid of it ASAP.
Related to the bobbit worm, you will end up with a nightmare

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOT a dorvillidae but rater a eunicid worm and one you DO NOT want in your tank. Rid of it ASAP.
Related to the bobbit worm, you will end up with a nightmare
Oh boy, that's gonna make his heart skip a beat! I agree this looks nothing like what I have in my tank.

I think we found our resident pest expert!

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky and found it on the glass of the tank. The worm is no longer in the tan

k. Any idea how many more there could be? Pretty sure he came from a "live rock". Should I remove the rock? Thanks for the help!
Oh boy, that's gonna make his heart skip a beat! I agree this looks nothing like what I have in my tank.

Thanks for the id. I was very lucky and caught him on the DT glass. He met an early demise. Pretty sure he came from a "live rock" i got from a LFS. I have not seen any more. Should I remove the likely rock? It has a frogspawn on it that can be moved easily enough. I am definitely on the lookout for more.

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a smaller one and sucked him up and did a WC at the same time. Looks like my small torch had an issue with the worm. It closed up over a few days so I gave it a Seachem iodine based dip. Nothing came out. Seems to start opening up again. I will be on the lookout for more. I will leave the night light on...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back