Bristle worms or not

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent amount of the worms but curious if I should remove or keep but if I did decide to remove what would be the best way

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so this is a debated topic. I try to remove the bigger ones and let my arrow crab have his fill. They do clean up well but apparently when they get bigger they can harm coral.

OP
OP
fishrambo

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn't harmed anything yet just a bit unsightly at feeding time when ppl get to see my tank the most [emoji23]

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you remove some, they will just reproduce to what your tank can currently maintain. If you feed a lot and their are a lot of scraps, their population will grow to what their food source can sustain. If their food source dwindles, they dwindle as well. You really don't have to do much.

They may appear unsightly but their appearance is a good sign that they are doing their job of cleaning up scraps.

I had to actually trade a frag to get some bristle worms in to my system, that's how beneficial I find them to be.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few of them in my tank throughout my live rock as well. I did remove some but I've been told they do a good job of cleaning up whatever left over food there is so I left the rest.

OP
OP
fishrambo

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting new tank just wondering if I should carry the live rock over or kill it or just start completely over and be sure to dipp any and everything that goes in tank.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't overfeed. Lime what was stated before, they will eat whatever food is leftover. So as long as you feed slowly and make sure all is eaten only a few beneficial will remain.

Shadowbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard of them eatingsmaller inverts and fish apparently the crab equivalent to the coral banded shrimp

OP
OP
fishrambo

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the arrow crab in for a few days now and I gotta say so far so good he is very active and goes crazy on worms and so far he hasn't bothered no coral he might camp out on one for the night but that's about it so far thanks for the input everyone hopefully he will keep the numbers down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back