Bristle worms

Trae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've researched, if you keep them under control its not a bad thing. There are numerous posts on R2R about them if you search. I found one in my tank a month ago.

YVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No necessarily bad as long as you don't have too many. Just try not to touch them because their bristles are itchy!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good as long as they are under control, and not HUGE. The really big ones you need to remove. Im talking ones that are 4" or better. Nutrients kept under control limits the population. They are good because they help maintain the tank.

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not touch them without gloves. I made that mistake once. Wow what a pain trying to get all those bristles out of my fingers.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it true that in a DSB, or perhaps even a refugium in general, bristle worms can be a predator of the very life forms one wants to keep?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^Not true at all^^ The more common Bristle Worm found in our tanks are of the harmless detritus eating variety.
The Bristleworms that cause most of the problems in our tanks are the larger carnivorous Fireworms of the family Pherecardia (Pacific), Hermodice (Caribbean), and other related species which are also effective predators, so when they get large enough they can quickly turn their jaws to your marine pets. Their body spines can inflict a painful sting so handle with caution (this is how they get their name).

If well feed it is not uncommon for Bristle/Fireworms to grow up to 24 inches in length (they sometimes appear smaller than they actually are because they are bunched together and not stretched out to their full length). Fireworms this large can turn into very nasty predators and have ravenous appetites.

They are well known to snack on Anemones, hard corals, gorgonians, Snails, Shrimp, even small fish! Large hungry Fireworms can do a lot of damage in a saltwater tank and you will need to get rid of them.

Detecting a Fireworm…

If you suspect Fireworms of attacking and gnawing on your invertebrates the only way to really tell is at night time a few hours after you have turned off the tank lights, ensure the room has been in total dark for a few hours too. The most effective way to spot them is with a red light (just secure a piece of red cellophane onto the light emitting end of your torch) searching the tank slowly with no rapid movements. Red light will not cause them to hide away like normal light does. Injured corals and anemones can also indicate you have a Fireworm problem.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Juicycoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in my tank for years! Keep them under control. Like mentioned in another post, remove the big ones. They sell traps out there! I made one out of PVC. I have had no problem with them hurting my corals or fish. They keep my tank clean where I can't see!

The_Stig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bristle worms (not sure of the exact variety) eat a bunch of xenia and two clams in broad daylight. I remove all bristleworms on sight now.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrow crabs keep everything in check....and if you do it right, they can grow to around the size of a volleyball/baskeyball. ;)

-Matt

AquaJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got drunk once and grabbed one for a dare lol
Wasn't a nice feeling I gotta say .....

I'd say there good though.
Some times if my fish miss abit of food
The BW will come out and clean before it gets a chance to rot in my tank.

Other than that, they only come out at night so they don't bother me.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are awesome! Lol love seeing new ones in my tanks.they get a bad rap sometimes kinda like asterina starfish lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back