Bristletooth and Melanurus, A Love Story

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two spot bristletooth and a Melanurus in quarantine. From the time I acclimated until present, they've been inseparable.

The tang follows the wrasse around and they'd play hide and seek through the PVC fittings...one would pop out and the other would swim over and they'd both swim around the tank together for a few laps.

Has anyone had a pair of fish that were inseparable from the time they were first out of the bag??

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a chromis and clownfish do this when I had a 60 gallon . They would even sleep together .

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus and squaretail in my farm tank, can't say they have ever looked at each other lol.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
My white tail bristletooth (Clementine) and yellow coris wrasse (Lemon Peel) bonded in qt. They both were about 3” big. Now in the display they are adorable together...4” big. They are inseparable. The bristletooth seems insecure when it loses sight of the wrasse, and the wrasse seems to just like having a buddy.

One day...
While passing by the tank I noticed Clementine was cowering in a cave, unusual. My next pass by the tank and noted Clementine spastically pacing the front glass, not normal. Beloved Lemon Peel was missing.!!! I looked all over for a dried fish, and checked 2 overflows, nothing. Clementine acted depressed, but timidly continued eating and foraging around by himself.

2 months later while deep cleaning the tank, I spied a yellow flash in an overflow.
Lemon Peel!!!!

After a lot of work getting him out (28” deep overflow), I closely watched to see if they would remember each other after 2 months separation. Clementine swam right up to Lemon Peel and flared it’s fins aggressively, and then the two continued their normal behavior of following each other around the tank...a happy story continues.

OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
My white tail bristletooth (Clementine) and yellow coris wrasse (Lemon Peel) bonded in qt. They both were about 3” big. Now in the display they are adorable together...4” big. They are inseparable. The bristletooth seems insecure when it loses sight of the wrasse, and the wrasse seems to just like having a buddy.

One day...
While passing by the tank I noticed Clementine was cowering in a cave, unusual. My next pass by the tank and noted Clementine spastically pacing the front glass, not normal. Beloved Lemon Peel was missing.!!! I looked all over for a dried fish, and checked 2 overflows, nothing. Clementine acted depressed, but timidly continued eating and foraging around by himself.

2 months later while deep cleaning the tank, I spied a yellow flash in an overflow.
Lemon Peel!!!!

After a lot of work getting him out (28” deep overflow), I closely watched to see if they would remember each other after 2 months separation. Clementine swam right up to Lemon Peel and flared it’s fins aggressively, and then the two continued their normal behavior of following each other around the tank...a happy story continues.
Aw this is great [emoji3][emoji3][emoji16]

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm glad you were able to get him out of the overflow. That sounds like a terrible time.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Purple Tang and a Mimic Tang that swim side by side all day I call them ponch and jon
Lol, wonder if anyone under 40 knows who Ponch and Jon are.
Do you have photo?
I have a two spot bristletooth and a Melanurus in quarantine. From the time I acclimated until present, they've been inseparable.

The tang follows the wrasse around and they'd play hide and seek through the PVC fittings...one would pop out and the other would swim over and they'd both swim around the tank together for a few laps.

Has anyone had a pair of fish that were inseparable from the time they were first out of the bag??
How much longer do they have in Qt?
Photo?

ENVY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin tang and an One Spot Foxface. They follow each other everywhere. It's mutual too. My foxface gets scared at every little thing. He goes into his frozen creepy death camo mode trying to blend into a rock when he is frighten. Funny thing is the sailfin just stays near him staring until he comes out of it. You can tell he would roll his eyes if he could.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back