Bristletooth & Yellow tang together? Other options?

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, currently in the process of upgrading to a 48Lx24Dx20H tank (100g) and now that I will have more real estate am considering the addition of a tang (or two) . I know the volume is sufficient for the bristletooth tang family and is on the smaller end for a yellow, but with a more open/minimalist scape planned I was hoping I could have both (really like the two spot and white tail!) and was hoping to gather the experiences of those who have kept a bristletooth and a yellow tang, or perhaps a more compatible set of tangs? Current fish are a pair of ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, and a banggai cardinalfish so nothing either too large or aggressive. As always, your input is greatly appreciated!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks, currently in the process of upgrading to a 48Lx24Dx20H tank (100g) and now that I will have more real estate am considering the addition of a tang (or two) . I know the volume is sufficient for the bristletooth tang family and is on the smaller end for a yellow, but with a more open/minimalist scape planned I was hoping I could have both (really like the two spot and white tail!) and was hoping to gather the experiences of those who have kept a bristletooth and a yellow tang, or perhaps a more compatible set of tangs? Current fish are a pair of ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, and a banggai cardinalfish so nothing either too large or aggressive. As always, your input is greatly appreciated!
I find yellow tangs to be aggressive. My personal choice would be either a yellow or blue eyed kole tang and a convict tang.

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Thanks for the response, that is definitely a concern of mine about the yellow. I'll look into the convict tang, was also considering adding both tang options at the same time when they are smaller to hopefully cut aggression down.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Thanks for the response, that is definitely a concern of mine about the yellow. I'll look into the convict tang, was also considering adding both tang options at the same time when they are smaller to hopefully cut aggression down.
Glad to help. I regret getting my yellow tang as he is my tank bully. He is finally calming down now that my tank is a little more fully stocked. To do it over I would have gone with a Foxface to get the yellow color.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find yellow tangs to be touch and go-- if left to establish a tank as the sole tang they tend towards being very aggressive. In a tank of more fish and more than one tang (added at same time) I generally find yellow tangs to be great community fish.

Of course, there is a variance among individuals of a given species!

I think you'd be OK with that combo if quarantined and added together!

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input @4FordFamily !
I think you'd be OK with that combo if quarantined and added together!
My QT is a 20L, do you think they would do well in that together if they were both 2-3" for the monthly period? Or should I get a second QT tank? Maybe use egg crate to create a divider?

In terms of more fish, I was looking at some of the anthias family (carberryi perhaps) as additions, too, but definitely open to ideas as my old tank pretty much kept me to the nano fish!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input @4FordFamily !

My QT is a 20L, do you think they would do well in that together if they were both 2-3" for the monthly period? Or should I get a second QT tank? Maybe use egg crate to create a divider?

In terms of more fish, I was looking at some of the anthias family (carberryi perhaps) as additions, too, but definitely open to ideas as my old tank pretty much kept me to the nano fish!
Some would say it's fine for two tangs, but I'd rather you qt a larger batch than just two tangs to reduce odds of aggression and for that you'd need a larger qt.

But if not you can probably pull off the 20L just watch ammonia with the sea chem ammonia badge! :)

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably be alright in a 20L as stated above, but I would cut the eggcrate before you get the fish, just to be ready. If they start fighting, you can stick the eggcrate in super fast, and will hopefully curb aggression.

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get some extra pvc elbows and Ts to give extra hiding space, too. A question on the yellow tangs: I have an LfS that sells good quality fish but their yellow tangs are a bit darker, might be the lighting or age as they are 1-2" but never quite as vibrant as the ones in their coral tank. Is there anything other than the "shoulder" and a pinched stomach I should be looking for?

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus IME are probably the least aggressive tangs but some fish can be more challenging than others. The odds are in your favor being that you are upgrading tanks which means a new environment for the existing yellow. It will be better for all if the yellow doesn't have the chance to establish a territory prior to the introduction of the Ctenochaetus.
The same goes for QT and kudos for taking the time to QT. I have found that fish tend to get along quite well in QT as long as they are introduced together.

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow y'all yellow tangs are tank bullies! lol my dads yellow tang is pretty shy! Lol

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have either just yet, my tank is still on a 4-6 week lead time right now but am planning, and I wouldn't want to put either in my existing 40B just because, would rather wait and do it properly as difficult as it is to be patient!

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm hoping for! I really wanted a powder blue but I feel like that won't be as great of a long term fit for the tank as a whole. There was a gorgeous gold rim powder blue hybrid that caught my eye but I'm thinking it pushes the needle unfavorably.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping an old thread as I am considering mixing a yellow tang and white tail bristletooth tang. I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on this.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would stick with the White-tail (my fav and a beautiful fish) for now. i think the 75 may be a tad tight with the addition of the yellow and they have a nasty streak in them. Other may chime in but that's what I would do to keep the peace until you upgrade.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with the White-tail (my fav and a beautiful fish) for now. i think the 75 may be a tad tight with the addition of the yellow and they have a nasty streak in them. Other may chime in but that's what I would do to keep the peace until you upgrade.

Thanks. The yellow is already in the tank, unfortunately. He's on the small side, about 2.5 inches.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. The yellow is already in the tank, unfortunately. He's on the small side, about 2.5 inches.
oh. Then I would wait on the Whitetail. Then when you upgrade, put the Whitetail in first or at the same time as the yellow. How big you going?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back