Bristleworm? Looking for positive ID please

SWnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I saw this little guy poke out from under a small clump of GSP I have on the sand bed. I used a turkey baster to remove it and it appears to be 1 inch to 1.5 inch long. It looks like a bristleworm but wanted to see what others think. Even if it is I don't necessarily have an interest in keeping it since I have some snails, hermit crabs and a thriving copepod population.

Thanks!

20220924_105430.jpg 20220924_105556.jpg

Attachments

• 20220924_105433.mp4
    86.3 MB
OP
OP
S

SWnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep regular bristleworm. Some people dislike them but a good CUC member IMO.
Good to know, thanks for letting me know! I have it in another container right now while I get the weekly water change done. I will see what I end up deciding once all done with the WC. :)

OP
OP
S

SWnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many scary stories about this creature, in my opinion if I did not add it then it's not needed, if in doubt throw it out.
Yeah that's kind of where I am at the moment - wasn't considering keeping it but wanted to see if there were any responses or info that would sway me :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had those in my 55 gallon reef 8 years and my 20 gallon nano before that. They never caused any trouble, and they are detritivores, quite valuable in my opinion. Those spines can prick your fingers, so be careful handling rocks.

OP
OP
S

SWnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had those in my 55 gallon reef 8 years and my 20 gallon nano before that. They never caused any trouble, and they are detritivores, quite valuable in my opinion. Those spines can prick your fingers, so be careful handling rocks.
Thank you for the advice! This is the first time I see one in my tank so it helps to hear from others what their experience with them has been like.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many scary stories about this creature, in my opinion if I did not add it then it's not needed, if in doubt throw it out.
What "scary" stories...? The Nightmare before Bristleworm? Edward Bristleworm Hands? Casper the friendly Bristleworm? Bristleworm ends, staring Jamie Lee Curtis?
The point being is those are made up stories and so is the ones about a Bristleworm, they are a valuable addition to the CUC. Plus they eat Ick in their dormant stage and GHA... <--- No that part is made up...

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have them in my 75g . Not caused any problems. Not the best looking things but good cuc.

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're a good addition to CUC, but I don't keep them. Had them back then and just had bad experiences so this tank is bristleworm free, at least I think it is. Just keep them in check if you decide to keep it. Their population can get out of control.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have so many they would be in the socks when I changed them and I would also see them in the chaeto. I don't remember ever seeing one in the display but I don't look at night very often. They never hurt anything including me. I haven't seen any in a while but not sure what happened to them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back