Bristleworms

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I saw a nice long bristleworm in my tank just want to make sure that it's fine to leave it in the tank as my janitor? Won't hurt my corals?

Thanks guys
Screenshot_20201018_013716.jpg

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will hear both sides. I actually just ordered some bristleworms a month or so ago because my tank has been set up awhile and I had no microfauna left. They are great little cleaners and I haven’t had any problem with them and corals over the years.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I saw a nice long bristleworm in my tank just want to make sure that it's fine to leave it in the tank as my janitor? Won't hurt my corals?

Thanks guys
Screenshot_20201018_013716.jpg
Only try to avoid touching them by hands, because you will get bristles in and will be a bit harmful that for your hands. Otherwise many people do like them and they aren't bad at all.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure it is not a fire worm. Doesn't look like it to me, but they are somewhat similar. Fireworms will kill fish.

Bristleworms are excellent, if ugly custodians. Stir up your sand too. However I have heard their population can explode out of control left unchecked. I just saw a different thread about a guy trapping them by the dozen.

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y
Just make sure it is not a fire worm. Doesn't look like it to me, but they are somewhat similar. Fireworms will kill fish.

Bristleworms are excellent, if ugly custodians. Stir up your sand too. However I have heard their population can explode out of control left unchecked. I just saw a different thread about a guy trapping them by the dozen.
Yeah I heard about the population. They say it also depends on the feeding so if there is minimal food waste should be fine?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for certain, I haven't noticed too many in my tank, and there's plenty for them to eat as I tend to overfeed. But it could also be I'm not seeing them, or my eel and/or marine betta eat them.

I'm sure others might give able to give you a more definite answer.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I can add.. if you dont have a control for them, they can overrun a tank.. a 6 oine wrasse or a relative would be a reasonable addition for control.. Otherwise, I recently got a 14 inch stainless tweezer to pluck them out of one tank I have.. I have since pulled 100 or so out of a 32 g AIO.. they were disturbing zoas to the point they would seldom open..

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it, I grabbed it and fished with it. Caught a silver perch

251E6050-BAD0-4A5B-851C-AAFDB8F8CED7.jpeg
One thing I can add.. if you dont have a control for them, they can overrun a tank.. a 6 oine wrasse or a relative would be a reasonable addition for control.. Otherwise, I recently got a 14 inch stainless tweezer to pluck them out of one tank I have.. I have since pulled 100 or so out of a 32 g AIO.. they were disturbing zoas to the point they would seldom open..
Oh wow, definitely don't want that happening. I started the tank with dry rock and i dipped all corals so not sure how this guy got in but I'll keep check. What other fish eat them?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, definitely don't want that happening. I started the tank with dry rock and i dipped all corals so not sure how this guy got in but I'll keep check. What other fish eat them?
I dipped my corals too but there’s always changes for them to hide inside of the rocks or corals somewhere. Pretty most fish love them, fishing wise.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have an Orchid Dottyback that loves to munch on them. Here’s a clip of her with a face full of bristles.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Orchid Dottyback that loves to munch on them. Here’s a clip of her with a face full of bristles.

Isn't the Orchid picking and on feather duster worms and the spaghetti worms ?
And what's the name of the starfish you post the video in Insta ?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the Orchid picking and on feather duster worms and the spaghetti worms ?
And what's the name of the starfish you post the video in Insta ?
She seems to eat whatever she wants but I’ve never seen her go for any of my feather dusters. Spaghetti worms, maybe but I’ve never witnessed it. She likes to dig under the rocks for food.

the starfish in the video are brittle stars that hitchhiked into the reef and now regularly spawn.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She seems to eat whatever she wants but I’ve never seen her go for any of my feather dusters. Spaghetti worms, maybe but I’ve never witnessed it. She likes to dig under the rocks for food.

the starfish in the video are brittle stars that hitchhiked into the reef and now regularly spawn.
ok Thx mate, because I read someone say they can go after the feather duster worms and I was think to get one like your and not sure about how will be with Xmas tree rock worms after I put it in.
And was looking if you know what is the SP name of your brittle starfish :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theyre Not welcomed in any of my tanks. Just a matter of preference

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
what's the reason for you @vetteguy53081 ? (want to get the pros and cons about)
I have coral on bottom, mid top, etc and had a 360 g in which bristles were everywher ticking off the corals. I dont not want them near my elegance or clams and to multiply to the point when I move to Florida, I have to start fishing them out when I break down the tank

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral on bottom, mid top, etc and had a 360 g in which bristles were everywher ticking off the corals. I dont not want them near my elegance or clams and to multiply to the point when I move to Florida, I have to start fishing them out when I break down the tank
Sorry mate, I don't get it properly at the beginning, you are talking about the bristle worms (they aren't welcome in your system), I guess you are talking about the Orchid Dottyback fish.
Sorry, my fault. I don't like them too. Have enough other detritus cleaners which are taking that part of the job, don't want to have bristle worms in, having on mind my hands are often in the water...

OP
OP
ReeferGuyAlexK

ReeferGuyAlexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just want to know if i'm right... Is this a feather duster?
IMG_20201019_000152.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back