Brittle Star arms, worms, ???

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bubble coral a few months ago and after several weeks (on the substrate) I noticed what I thought was the tentacle of a brittle star sticking out from underneath. The coral had been dipped and I thought maybe I had a beneficial hitchhiker. Several weeks later I noticed 2 tentacles swaying in the current from a crevice near the top of the tank. I couldn't figure out anyway a brittle star could fit where the tentacle was coming from. Today I noticed one of my octospawns not looking as healthy as normal. It appeared to be withdrawing from the tentacles seen in this photo. I apologize for the poor image but hopefully it's enough for one of you experts to ID. Thank you in advance for your time.

Critter ID.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle star arms. I have 2 or 3 at least, not sure because I have never seen the whole brittle stars, LOL!!! I purchased live rock which is how I got them.

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with me, Billldg. I have at least 2 and have never seen the entire brittle star. The only reason I wondered is that the crevices they are in are so small that I didn't thi k

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini brittle star. There body is usually the size of a bb to about 1/4 inch. Good detrivior. Self regulating. They'll spawn in your tank if you have lots of food available. And die back a bit if little food is available. I've had hundreds in my tank one time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittles are laterally compressed and can fit in really small cracks. Usually you just see the arms.

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It def looks like a brittle star. I picked up a few crab shells for my hermits from my LFS a few weeks back and as I was about to boil them in a bowl first I saw 2 arms start poking out of one shells. I was shocked bc he had been in an empty plastic bag with the shells the whole way home and then freshwater dipped and he was still alive! So since he was determined to live I put him in some tank water watched for a lil and then tossed him I my tank. Never to be seen again lol and that was about a month ago. I still wonder what adventures he's been on in my tank since I last saw him but for now he is the elusive brittle star in my tank named Heidi.

Attachments

• 20210223_194920.mp4
    26 MB
  • Screenshot_20210308-165545_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-165545_Photos.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FastandCurious (love that handle) have you checked on Heidi lately? I use a magnifier and now see multiple arms sticking out the rocks at feeding time. I actually saw one tentacle catch a brine shrimp and pull it back out of sight. Pretty cool to watch.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FastandCurious (love that handle) have you checked on Heidi lately? I use a magnifier and now see multiple arms sticking out the rocks at feeding time. I actually saw one tentacle catch a brine shrimp and pull it back out of sight. Pretty cool to watch.
I always see my bigger pink brittle star doing that...
20210304_021034.jpg

20210320_013618.jpg

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep an eye out for her ever since but I haven't been checking around feeding time that's a good idea. She was so small tho I prob would def need a magnifier. I would be so happy if she poked her head (or arm) out to say hello!

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep an eye out for her ever since but I haven't been checking around feeding time that's a good idea. She was so small tho I prob would def need a magnifier. I would be so happy if she poked her head (or arm) out to say hello!
I am sure she will come out one of these days..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back