Brittle Star, should I keep it?

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
59EEF70E-3949-4A2C-B748-BE47C5C1C180.jpeg
TLDR: Brittle star survived revive dip and days in plastic bag at room temperature. Will it kill my 1/2inch nano goby as it gets bigger?

Hello everyone, I dipped my new frogspawn a few days ago. Two small brittle stars fell out of the head and looked to have died. I didn’t think much of it, fast forward three days. I picked up the plastic transport bag to throw it away only to find the two small starfish are still alive in a very small amount of water. I have an extremely small nano goby in the tank so I’m concerned this brittle star will grow to an extremely large size and kill my nano goby. Can anyone ID this before I acclimate it to the tank? If there is any possibility that it may grow to the size that it will kill my goby then I’m probably not going to add it to the tank.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add it. Beneficial hitcher. I’ve got both larger and micro sized and they don’t bother anything.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add it too - most brittle stars are harmless/beneficial, with the only predatory one I know of in the hobby being the large green “serpent star” (Ophiarachna incrassata).

OP
OP
AstroCoral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add it. Beneficial hitcher. I’ve got both larger and micro sized and they don’t bother anything.

I’d add it too - most brittle stars are harmless/beneficial, with the only predatory one I know of in the hobby being the large green “serpent star” (Ophiarachna incrassata).

Thank you both! I greatly appreciate it, I started acclimating them.

Tomorrow's Waters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
59EEF70E-3949-4A2C-B748-BE47C5C1C180.jpeg
TLDR: Brittle star survived revive dip and days in plastic bag at room temperature. Will it kill my 1/2inch nano goby as it gets bigger?

Hello everyone, I dipped my new frogspawn a few days ago. Two small brittle stars fell out of the head and looked to have died. I didn’t think much of it, fast forward three days. I picked up the plastic transport bag to throw it away only to find the two small starfish are still alive in a very small amount of water. I have an extremely small nano goby in the tank so I’m concerned this brittle star will grow to an extremely large size and kill my nano goby. Can anyone ID this before I acclimate it to the tank? If there is any possibility that it may grow to the size that it will kill my goby then I’m probably not going to add it to the tank.
KEEP! This type of brittle star will remain small and multiply like crazy. Great clean up crew and will have no impact on your goby.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back