Broadcast Feeding, Target Feeding or both? What needs targeted and what doesn't?

Do you Broadcast Feed, Target Feed or Both?

• Broadcast

Votes: 136 30.3%
  • Target

Votes: 40 8.9%
  • Both

Votes: 269 59.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Broadcast feeding is where you basically just dump fish, coral food into the aquarium and let the pumps move it all around the tank. Target feeding is when you, well, target and feed livestock individually. Is one way better than the other? Is one way right and one way wrong? I don't think so but let's get your thoughts on it!

1. Do you Broadcast Feed, Target Feed or Both?

2. What types of livestock do you TARGET feed?

3. What are your general thoughts on feeding when it comes to broadcast or target feeding?

@Nash target feeding his tang
24f14428f78b5c9d3e6feaea48c5fe65.jpg

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Both. My food has some coral food mixed in with it. I just shut off the flow, squirt some in and everyone gets fed. Powerheads come on 5 minutes later to blow it all around, pump comes on 5 minutes after that.

2. I target feed all my corals with the same food mix twice a week and also target my blood shrimp. The shrimp doesn't like to venture out looking for food.

3. They both server a purpose. I like broadcast because everything can get food. All the fish, the corals, and the CUC. Target feeding may not even be needed, but I like to know each coral is getting a concentrated feeding every so often. Broadcast also helps keep the CUC away from corals since they have other places they can find food easily.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. I have a lot of greedy little pigs, so I typically have to disperse the food in a long line across the tank to ensure that some of the less aggressive inhabitants get their fair share as well. I do target feed reef roids although in all honestly I probably don't need to.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed Seachem Zooplankton twice a week. And of course I feed my fish twice a day (Spectrum pellets and nori).

Heavy input and heavy output (skimmer, carbon, and weekly 10% water changes) seems to work best for my majority LPS and softies reef aquarium. But if it was SPS dominant, I'd be a lot more concerned about overfeeding.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed Seachem Zooplankton twice a week. And of course I feed my fish twice a day (Spectrum pellets and nori).

Heavy input and heavy output (skimmer, carbon, and weekly 10% water changes) seems to work best for my majority LPS and softies reef aquarium. But if it was SPS dominant, I'd be a lot more concerned about overfeeding.
And I have an sps dominant. Just have heavy out (skimmer, large refugium) I have to broadcast everyday and feed pellets 5 times from an auto feeder to just keep some nitrates and phosphates

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both.
broadcast feed the fish lights on.
target feed my many nps corals lights out.

food mix is 2 cubes mysis, 1 cube baby brine, 1 Tsp R.O.E, 1 Tbs Oyster feast

every day.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 3 fish in my nano - so for fish it doesn't matter. I used to spot feed all my corals reef roids - they loved it. But then I switched to Rod's food, and since then, I just dump that in and broadcast feed. everybody gets a little bit every feeding, and I think my corals prefer it this way. They are growing more, but I can't say that isn't also related to better stability.

But yes - broadcast feeding seems to work the best for me and my tank.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you Broadcast Feed, Target Feed or Both?
Both.

2. What types of livestock do you TARGET feed?
Usually target feed for the Goby and the coral.

3. What are your general thoughts on feeding when it comes to broadcast or target feeding?
I think broadcast should be used to feed greedy fish (like clowns) and target feeding should be used to feed picky fish (such as Gobys or tangs) and/or coral.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast. I start off by turning off the pumps and feeding live black worms to the fish. The fish go crazy as soon as the worms hit the water and start to wiggle, even the timid ones get right in the middle of the action. Once the worms are done the pumps are turned on and I broadcast feed either Reef Frenzy or if I'm out my own concoction of the same type of food.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back