Broadcast Feeding, Target Feeding or both? What needs targeted and what doesn't?

Do you Broadcast Feed, Target Feed or Both?

• Broadcast

Votes: 136 30.3%
  • Target

Votes: 40 8.9%
  • Both

Votes: 269 59.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast feeding is where you basically just dump fish, coral food into the aquarium and let the pumps move it all around the tank. Target feeding is when you, well, target and feed livestock individually. Is one way better than the other? Is one way right and one way wrong? I don't think so but let's get your thoughts on it!

1. Do you Broadcast Feed, Target Feed or Both?

2. What types of livestock do you TARGET feed?

3. What are your general thoughts on feeding when it comes to broadcast or target feeding?

@Nash target feeding his tang
24f14428f78b5c9d3e6feaea48c5fe65.jpg
I used to spot feed reefroids and amino acids. But I decided to increase my skimmer to wet skim and upped my algae reactor photo period so that I just add those foods to my fish food mix now.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed my home made frozen food that contains a little something for everyone. Selcon, max aminos, fisheggs, nori, pellets, flake, freeze dried mysis, scallops, raw shrimp, and mahi ahi tuna. All shaved into tiny chunks that the fish just love.

My copperband I sorta target feed. He eats out of my hand and is very timid unless the food is coming from me. He won't fight for his food so, as long as I hold it for him, he eats well. Sometimes it takes him a solid 5 minutes to get his fill. The other fish and corals I just pinch small chunks of the frozen food off as it thaws in the tank and they go to town eating separately from the copperband. Him and I have our own little dinner experience. Some of the chromis's and anthias have caught on and just stand waiting for me to flick food into the mouths. If they swim at just the right spot in the flow they just open there mouth and chunks float in. Lol. It's sorta target feeding fish, but not...

I've tried target feeding corals, but they seem to just shrivel up... I don't think they like being sprayed by food saturated water from a turkey baster... I just broadcast feed the tank, hoping enough makes it to the corals.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ONLY target feed my fish and corals. It ensures everything is eaten and minimizes waste buildup. Imagine feeding your dog by sprinkling kibble all over the bedroom floor….
I agree with this for the most part

The comment in this thread about "target feeding killing corals" - you really think platygyra and favia are getting anything out of a broadcast feeding?

If they were I'd see a response. I don't.

So I target feed them and see them gobble it all up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back