Broadcast Feeding VS Target Feeding Corals: What is your preference and why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Broadcast feeding VS target feeding corals has been a long standing discussion and debate in this hobby. Do you personally notice a different feeding response in your corals when broadcast feeding VS target feeding? If so, which corals exhibit a different response and why do you believe this phenomenon occurs?

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently switched to target feeding after broadcast feeding for over 6 months and I have noticed a HUGE difference in polyp extension and feeding response, I would say for sure target feeding is the best way to do it

Tmtdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broad cast. Corals like any other species can only absorb so much per time interval. They adapt like all others.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Think the type of coral also matters when feeding
I target feed my acans, mushrooms, hammers and especially blastos, they all seem to love it and have the ability to chow down a large target feed
I broadcast feed for my worms, goni and I think my torches (lately I’ve been thinking torches do better with a broadcast feed rather than target) and other coral that have tiny mouths or need to filter to feed. I broadcast phyto for them.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed both ways. I feel Sps don’t care as much about target feeding, so I add Sps food with the frozen for my fish a few times a week. Lps on the other hand love it when I target feed as I turn off all the pumps and allow them to feed. They other look better after I target feed them.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast. Sps, leathers,gsp don't do well with target feeding. I haven't seen that.

Lps, rfa,mini maxi and btas ill target feed when I'm in the mood. About every 3 months.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed. If its too dumb to eat i dont want it. I recently got rods corals food and barrier labs reef gro formula to try and i want to start trying target feedings. I use reef nutrition roe. Rods fish only. Predator. Omega mysis. Marine cuisine predator. Sally.krill. marine cuisine mix cubes. 4 rows 4 diffrent kinds.
Sure i have more..all broadcast feeding.
Ive heard ppl have good results target feeding i havent seen it 1st hand or asked someone i know about it yet.
D

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target Feed for me. That is how I started and I like the response I get. Use Reef Roids and Reef Chili - They all seem to like it,

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast feeding VS target feeding corals has been a long standing discussion and debate in this hobby. Do you personally notice a different feeding response in your corals when broadcast feeding VS target feeding? If so, which corals exhibit a different response and why do you believe this phenomenon occurs?
I see a huge difference after target feeding Reef Energy AB+. Target feeding also allows me to use less coral food which in turn is less "potential waste" going into the tank.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't target feed as such. Fish poop and Easy Reefs phyto and zooplankton (Booster and EasySPS) dosed all day into the tank seem to work well.

I even have a sun coral which opens up when the lights go out and I don't target feed it but is so far doing fine... perhaps the Easy Reefs dosing is feeding it?

iBleedSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a huge difference after target feeding Reef Energy AB+. Target feeding also allows me to use less coral food which in turn is less "potential waste" going into the tank.
How do you target feed AB+? It's such a small amount. I dose 15ml in my 90g every other day, but my green torch, firework cloves, and newer zoas could use a boost. Do you dilute it with RODI and then use a turkey baster?

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you target feed AB+? It's such a small amount. I dose 15ml in my 90g every other day, but my green torch, firework cloves, and newer zoas could use a boost. Do you dilute it with RODI and then use a turkey baster?
I don't dilute it or anything. I put 4ml in the measure cup, draw it up into the syringe and I target feed each coral. If I run out I just use another 4ml and repeat the process until I have feed each coral. They love it and I'm seeing major results. I will say that the feeder I'm using works perfect for this because it holds the liquid in until im ready to squirt some out on the corals.

Here's what I'm using.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back