OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have 3 reactors setup. What media do you use for each?

Originally I was running bio pellets and GFO. I would put the third one online if I needed to run GAC for any reason. But since bio pellets and I had a falling out, I now only run XPORT PO4. I'm through with shooting for ultra low nitrates. I keep my nitrates between 5-12 and everything is good... better coral color than when I ran close to zero nitrates. I'm thinking about turning two of the reactors into chaeto reactors and keep the third one if I need to run GAC. Trying to get back to doing things more naturally.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the emperor angel. How reef-safe is it from your experience?

So far no problems at all. I purposely purchased one that was only about 1.5"... hoping that it would strictly feast on LRS and not my corals. For the first week it really wouldn't touch the LRS... I became a little nervous. However, it now loves LRS and feeds aggressively on it. I also purchased it knowing that once it gets some size to it, I will give it back to my LFS.

flo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hay Suncrestreef which Nikon camera do you have? I am in the market to get a macro lens for my Nikon D3300 but not sure which would be better. Thanks don't mean to hijack this tread. Just need a quick answer. Been following this build and it is absolutely beautiful. thanks

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is amazing, One day I will be moving up. Right now I have a 250 that is about a year old and I want to change the plumbing over for my new return pump install. Do you know where you bought the connections you use to switch over to Red Sea connection. this does not look like the 3/4" connection that BRS has. These looked much different. Cant find them anywhere. I found the 3/4" threaded on BRS but it does not have the curves of the fitting in this photo.

Thanks for the awesome tank build..

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 9.52.07 PM.png

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is amazing, One day I will be moving up. Right now I have a 250 that is about a year old and I want to change the plumbing over for my new return pump install. Do you know where you bought the connections you use to switch over to Red Sea connection. this does not look like the 3/4" connection that BRS has. These looked much different. Cant find them anywhere. I found the 3/4" threaded on BRS but it does not have the curves of the fitting in this photo.

Thanks for the awesome tank build..

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 9.52.07 PM.png

I bought all of my grey schedule 80 stuff from PVCFittingsOnline.com

This is the adapter:

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/836-007-3-4-schedule-80-pvc-male-adaptor.html

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use any sort of filters. I either use the custom WB setting or the Kelvin setting... gets me spot on in the camera. So it is very rare that I need to adjust WB in the software. Just took a couple of quick ones moments ago...

IMG_1713 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_1756 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

You probably have already answered this, but what camera and lense are you using? Wonderful pictures!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably have already answered this, but what camera and lense are you using? Wonderful pictures!

I'm currently shooting with a Canon 80D and a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use any sort of filters. I either use the custom WB setting or the Kelvin setting... gets me spot on in the camera. So it is very rare that I need to adjust WB in the software. Just took a couple of quick ones moments ago...

IMG_1713 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_1756 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Dude these pictures are insane! Really love the detail.

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have a Red Sea reefer 525 xl. Do you know if the same set up you used for the main drain pipe including the gate valve work on my system size wise? And if so can you share with me what I’d need to purchase to make that switch? Needless to say, you have a flawless set up. :)

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have a Red Sea reefer 525 xl. Do you know if the same set up you used for the main drain pipe including the gate valve work on my system size wise? And if so can you share with me what I’d need to purchase to make that switch? Needless to say, you have a flawless set up. :)

Yep, it's all of the same piping. If you are only wanting to do the main drain, then you will need to do the following:

Order a Red Sea Reefer barbed return assembly directly from Red Sea out of Texas... the part circled below. This is their # Tel. : +1-888-733-7329

Reefer Return Fitting.jpg

You will then unscrew the barbed fitting from the assembly. Next you will purchase a 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter... the following:

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html

upload_2018-2-21_22-10-24.png

Since the Red Sea thread is metric, you will need to use some extra Teflon tape... about 10-12 wraps. Then it's just a matter of some 1" PVC pipe and a gate valve:

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-pvc-socket-gate-valve-spears-2022-010.html

upload_2018-2-21_22-10-53.png

You will get this:

upload_2018-2-21_22-8-5.png

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it's all of the same piping. If you are only wanting to do the main drain, then you will need to do the following:

Order a Red Sea Reefer barbed return assembly directly from Red Sea out of Texas... the part circled below. This is their # Tel. : +1-888-733-7329

Reefer Return Fitting.jpg

You will then unscrew the barbed fitting from the assembly. Next you will purchase a 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter... the following:

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html

upload_2018-2-21_22-10-24.png

Since the Red Sea thread is metric, you will need to use some extra Teflon tape... about 10-12 wraps. Then it's just a matter of some 1" PVC pipe and a gate valve:

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-pvc-socket-gate-valve-spears-2022-010.html

upload_2018-2-21_22-10-53.png

You will get this:

upload_2018-2-21_22-8-5.png
dang
You’re the man Thank you!

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. You mentioned using dr. Tim’s one and only. I am making the upgrade to the 525xl this weekend and I have ordered a bottle of Tim’s one and only. I am brining my 2 year old live rock and as much water from the old tank as possible. If you’ve upgraded from one system to another, How did you used this product? Has it been with fish in the system or before you bring the fish over from the old tank?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. You mentioned using dr. Tim’s one and only. I am making the upgrade to the 525xl this weekend and I have ordered a bottle of Tim’s one and only. I am brining my 2 year old live rock and as much water from the old tank as possible. If you’ve upgraded from one system to another, How did you used this product? Has it been with fish in the system or before you bring the fish over from the old tank?

I have always cycled using fish. I have two good friends that set their tanks up in the last couple of months and they also used the fish cycling method, by utilizing Dr. Tim's. The product has always worked, as advertised for us, over the years.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always cycled using fish. I have two good friends that set their tanks up in the last couple of months and they also used the fish cycling method, by utilizing Dr. Tim's. The product has always worked, as advertised for us, over the years.
I’m guessing my question is if I should use the dr Tim’s product if I see spikes even though my livestock will be in the system. I just didn’t know if you used it on an entirely new tank or in a tank that you had transferred live stock from an old system with the fish already in it. I’m doing the tank transfer in one day.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing my question is if I should use the dr Tim’s product if I see spikes even though my livestock will be in the system. I just didn’t know if you used it on an entirely new tank or in a tank that you had transferred live stock from an old system with the fish already in it. I’m doing the tank transfer in one day.

I have not done a "full blown" tank transfer with Dr. Tim's. However, when I set up my Reefer 450, I came from a nano sized tank which had a couple of fish, several coral and a starfish... they all survived just fine. I put them in instantly after adding the DR. Tim's.

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done a "full blown" tank transfer with Dr. Tim's. However, when I set up my Reefer 450, I came from a nano sized tank which had a couple of fish, several coral and a starfish... they all survived just fine. I put them in instantly after adding the DR. Tim's.
Ok
Yup that’s what I’ll be doing as well. Good to hear you had no casualties. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions . Keep up the good work :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back