Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Tropic Eden Miniflakes up until this weekend... pulled it all out and replaced with Tropic Eden Reeflakes. More on that later.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but what did you do to get all the sand out? Did you strain it in any way to get your critters like snails back out?

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Broadfield the tank looks amazing , it looks like you are going more towards the SPS side a bit !

I could not find any thing on how you made the center Overflow column disappear? As well have you posted the video yet , I didn’t find that either .

All other comments a side the tank looks beautiful and amazing , have to agree with rev one of the best tanks on R2R!

Hey I am sorry, I "photoshopped" his center overflow off (a pretty poor job at that). If any one can make the central overflow disappear its @Broadfield

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for not keeping up on responding. My mother passed away a week ago and I'm just starting to get back on track with life. You will hear from me soon.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for not keeping up on responding. My mother passed away a week ago and I'm just starting to get back on track with life. You will hear from me soon.

Very sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss. May her soul Rest In Peace. Prayers to you and your family.

Azil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate for the black film behind the tank how do you remove it without removing the overflow one?

Any regrets removing it ?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Oh man so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. :(

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry for your loss

Any regrets removing it ?

Not broadfield, but a a straight cut with a razor blade and it easily peels off.

I regret removing it. I love the look in Broadfield's tank, but the overflow is basically the same size in the Reefer Nano, 170, 250 all the way up to 450+. I feel it was a mistake on the 170, there is more overflow than open space and the overflow casts massive shadows. So I personally wouldn't do it on a 250 or smaller, but on a 350 or bigger would consider it.

Last edited:

Thoax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey broadfield sorry for your lose.

You have any amazing build, I was just wondering what salt mix do you use or dos ? Your stuff looks so vibrant and healthy

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but what did you do to get all the sand out? Did you strain it in any way to get your critters like snails back out?

I simply sucked the sand out with a 3/4" hose into a 5 gallon bucket. While that was happening, I had a small pump that was pulling the water back out of the bucket and into the sump before the filter socks. I do not have snails, so I did not have to worry about that aspect.

@Broadfield how are you powering and controlling your heaters? I am thinking there on separate circuits.

I am powering all three heaters from separate outlets on my Apex. Two heaters for the DT and one for my salt mix storage container.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss. May her soul Rest In Peace. Prayers to you and your family.

Prayers you and your family loss.

Sorry for your loss Broadfield. Prayers for your family.

Sorry for your loss. My condolences.

My condolences to you and your family during this difficult time

Oh man so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. :(

My condolences! Sorry for your loss..

Very sorry for your loss

Sorry for your loss

I am Sorry for Your loss. My condolences to your Family

condolences to you and your family. never an easy time losing a loved one.

So very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this tough time.

Hey broadfield sorry for your loss

Thanks everyone... this site truly does have a great group of members!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back