Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys could someone please save me the time of clicking through every page of this thread for the plumbing parts used for the loc-line split return. I know I've seen it at some point but can't find it now. Or does the Reefer 450 have a 1/2" slip attachment and just use a 1/2" split loc-line with extra tape? I just want to split the return on my 450. Thanks!

Found it, Thanks! Or close enough...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24624592&postcount=140

TheBarbarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- He got the pipes at bulkreefsupply.com
- Led strips can be extended as long as you'd like if you have a powerful enough driver illuminate the extended strip. Google LED drivers to find one that meets your needs .
- all answers are in the thread. He took time to write them, you should take time to read them.
Tnx...didnt see that
[emoji16]

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what I found on instagram.
Screenshot_20190103-152342_Instagram.jpeg

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to be that guy but you wouldn't happen to know what fitting it was?

3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter

In the pvc section look for a 3/4” threaded to 1” or 3/4” slip depending on the size pipe you want to use

Wrap the threaded part with teflon tape a nice healthy wrapping

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter

In the pvc section look for a 3/4” threaded to 1” or 3/4” slip depending on the size pipe you want to use

Wrap the threaded part with teflon tape a nice healthy wrapping
Orange tank.jpg

The part circled in Green did he order a different part from Redsea because on my plumbing that is a screw on part. It looks like he glued at this prtion of the plumbing this is the area I am having trouble with.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange tank.jpg

The part circled in Green did he order a different part from Redsea because on my plumbing that is a screw on part. It looks like he glued at this prtion of the plumbing this is the area I am having trouble with.

This is to change the return to hard piping
He just ordered two more return parts and swap them all out on his tank to make it all hard piping

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you need to order another part because mine are all glued together

Yes. You need to order the threaded part that twists from underneath. You order that from Red Sea. I can’t remember the part number at the moment. Then you remove the barbed end and screw in your threaded adaptor to that. There are numerous threads out there for this, just takes a bit of research.

Edit: Found it.

da6c3334a4c0cafa251cd43ebcecdf68.jpg

And this is for the 425/450
c763d342dd762107331576127340549b.jpg

Last edited:

marito09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You need to order the threaded part that twists from underneath. You order that from Red Sea. I can’t remember the part number at the moment. Then you remove the barbed end and screw in your threaded adaptor to that. There are numerous threads out there for this, just takes a bit of research.

You wont have the part for the 625xxl or is totally different to re plumb ?

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you need to order another part because mine are all glued together

All except the return line it has a barbed fitting screwed in you unscrew the barb then screw in the 3/4 threaded pcv with a healthy amount of teflon tape

EHaddad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Marcos_ the part number you wrote is different that what it shows here.

Seeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield,

What an inspiration man. Even in failure, you pick up the pieces and keep going. I'm in the process of building my 120g and you've given so many details and such an amazing perspective on things for others to follow. I'm using your refill station as a reference for mine. I'll have to run all of my plumbing under my floors in my basement myself so this will definitely be an experience, but I'm confident. Getting more and more confident from reading and looking at so much material.

Plus, on top of that amazing tank, you're pushing a 240 as well... Nice! I had an 89 S13 that I planned on building, but I had to leave it on the side of the highway to tow the next morning, and in less than 10 hours, it was gone and I never got another one. I may start on a build after I get my tank going, though.

Good luck on your build man. Looking forward to seeing the evolution!

Seeko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reviewing your water station, I began to think... do you think having the waste water and new water flow through the same pipes had anything to do with the crash? I don't know much about plumbing or the chemistry that's actually going on inside the water, but that did kinda stick out as a concern to me when I first reviewed the schematics.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield You my friend have had a hard time lately and I can totally understand how you must be feeling. My heart and prayers are with you and your family.
I lost my mother last February. I lost my only uncle in May. I lost my only brother January 30th this year. Believe me, I know the pain.
It does not get better but it gets easier as time rolls on. Keep positive as best you can.

I also understand the pain of a tank crash.

I did not get the RSR 625XXL. I decided to continue to work on my 110 gallon reef. I had a dino breakout that I have been fighting for about 3 or 4 years. I did a reboot. I removed ALL the sand (slowly). Removed most of the rock (slowly) and replaced both with brand new sand and Staxx rocks.
Tank was looking and doing great for about a month or two but...
DINOS CAME BACK!!!

During a bout with flukes that should have been an easy cure, I lost my yellow tang, my purple tang, my powder blue tang and my naso tang.
I also lost several corals to the dinos.

I threw in the towel and waived the white flag.

I ordered a SCA 180 gallon PNP system that should arrive sometime next week. I get to do the whole tank from scratch. I am not planning on using anything from the 110 gallon tank except my skimmer, return pump and powerheads. I will be giving this equipment a SERIOUS bleach bath followed by a SERIOUS vinegar bath followed by another SERIOUS bleach bath followed by a long bath in Seachem Prime. It kills me that I won't be able to swap over my existing corals but I DO NOT want dinos again! I know I can still get a dino outbreak but at least I wont be introducing them with my current corals that I KNOW are in a dino infested tank.

I'm still torn up about my brother and I will be for quite some time. I'm the last living member of my household.

This new tank will be therapy for me (I HOPE).
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-nervous-build-from-110-to-sca-180-pnp-wow.553785/#post-5709471

I'm sure the rebuild will be therapy for you as well.

Last edited:
Back