OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this going to be a separate cabinet sitting next to the stand or will this be inside the stand? Interested to know what you're going to use to paint it to match the stand.

This is just a mockup of the right, inside portion of the stand... so this assembly isn't going anywhere. The parts inside of this mockup will be going inside my Red Sea stand... in place of what's there now. I'm not totally concerned with it matching the stand exactly. I could if I want, but I might want a slight contrast of vinyl etc. We'll just have to see what I settle on... because honestly I don't know at the moment lol.

Last edited:

ShanH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.. I have a reefer 425xl and want to do a similar manifold. However, I was wondering that the reefer overflow is based on a syphon and needs constant flow to be quiet. Does adding a manifold feeding reactors disrupt this constant flow and make the overflow noisy? Would appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.. I have a reefer 425xl and want to do a similar manifold. However, I was wondering that the reefer overflow is based on a syphon and needs constant flow to be quiet. Does adding a manifold feeding reactors disrupt this constant flow and make the overflow noisy? Would appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks.

Nope, it doesn't change a thing. You still have a constant flow no matter how many things you have tapped off of the manifold... it just decreases your overall flow. So keep that in mind when choosing a return pump.

ShanH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, it doesn't change a thing. You still have a constant flow no matter how many things you have tapped off of the manifold... it just decreases your overall flow. So keep that in mind when choosing a return pump.

Thanks for the reply :) I already got a vectra M1.. that should be enough for the return and the reactors.

I was trying to find parts for the manifold.. I could not figure out how the manifold will connect to the barb end of the stock return pipe which comes with the reefer.. how have you done it?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply :) I already got a vectra M1.. that should be enough for the return and the reactors.

I was trying to find parts for the manifold.. I could not figure out how the manifold will connect to the barb end of the stock return pipe which comes with the reefer.. how have you done it?

Y0u just need a slip to threaded adapter. Note: the Red Sea fitting is metric, so you will simply use extra Teflon tape on the threads. This will ensure you get a good seal.

http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/836-007-3-4-schedule-80-pvc-male-adaptor.html

male_80_1.jpg

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on a bushel of LEDs and various acrylic, so I decided to start the plumbing for the sump. The new sump is taller, but not quite as wide as the Red Sea sump. It's also not as open since it has a top plate. Which means that I can't have the reactors hanging down over the water line like I do now. So they will need to be completely above the sump... even with some room to spare so I can remove the canisters and service everything. And since I like to make things hard on myself, I decided to add a 3rd reactor to squeeze in there.

I upgraded to a Vectra L1, from my M1, since I'm adding that 3rd reactor. Also went with 1" piping.

IMG_7619 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

So the entire assembly will hang from the underside of the stand like now, but it will hug it really tight. I rotated the T's up 90 degrees... so instead of the gate valves and reactors hanging down from the T's, they will shoot forward and then a simple 90 degree fitting into the reactor. I still need to finish the exit pipes for each reactor and the drain and emergency overflow pipes. NOTE: the black boards under the reactors are just temporarily there for proper spacing of the reactors above the sump.

IMG_7613 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7618 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably going with this for the edge lighting. Although I think I'm going to do white LED and an orange acrylic step behind it. I will then do the main base plates in white and do orange LED illumination behind each floating module... unless I completely change my mind and do something else lol.

IMG_7583 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the details man!

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know you probably did this already, but will the sump fit under that tank with the reactors like that?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know you probably did this already, but will the sump fit under that tank with the reactors like that?

Hahahaha... you have no idea how much planning I do with stuff like this. I probably planed it out in my head for days.... running through all of the possible scenarios that might come up etc. I did mechanical drawings with detailed measurements of each individual component. I measured how much room I need to drop the reactor canister down for servicing... all that jazz. The purpose of the black boards under the reactors are temporarily there for a couple of reasons. One, they are there to support the reactors while I mock up the plumbing. More importantly though, that's the exact spacing I need for the top of my assembly to touch the top, underside of the stand... which is where the assembly is mounting, just like my current setup. And the spacing of those boards is .25" more than what I need to be able to lower the reactor canisters for servicing. So the inside of the stand is 29-5/8" tall. Which is exactly the entire height of this setup that is in the picture.

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Broadfield, beautiful setup you have there sir! for your water change system do you have a second Apex controller just for water change system? I have a similar floor plan layout interms of where my tank is and where my water change system is except for I cannot make a floor through the floor to accommodate pipings etc :(

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Broadfield, beautiful setup you have there sir! for your water change system do you have a second Apex controller just for water change system? I have a similar floor plan layout interms of where my tank is and where my water change system is except for I cannot make a floor through the floor to accommodate pipings etc :(

My water changes are not automated in any way. I have thought about getting a second DOS to perform constant water changes, but it's sooooo easy for me to do a water change, that I actually enjoy doing it. I open the "drain" valve in the basement, then open the valve in my sump... instant siphon. It drains the entire sump except for about 1/4" of water. I then shut the basement drain valve, open my fresh salt water valve, turn on the pump with my phone through Apex fusion and fill the sump back up. DONE!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield how do you like the WAV pumps?

I absolutely love them man! I have owned various Vortechs in the past and much prefer the WAVs... especially for the price.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love them man! I have owned various Vortechs in the past and much prefer the WAVs... especially for the price.

How many WAV are you running in the tank at once? I'm waiting to set up my Apex to install 3 from one end of my aquarium.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many WAV are you running in the tank at once? I'm waiting to set up my Apex to install 3 from one end of my aquarium.

I am running two as seen in the very first image of this thread. I'm debating adding a 3rd to the right side of the overflow, aimed to the front/right and up. But they are capable of a ton of flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back