Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you need to connect to the RSR plumbing is the fitting in your post from the other day and the RSR union that came with your reefer.

As has been mentioned before- unscrew the barbed nipple and use the 3/4 inch to slip fitting with 15 or so wraps of plumbers tape.

His list of supplies pertains to his particular manifold NOT how to connect to the reefer plumbing.

Depending on your sump space and manifold plans you will have specific plumbing fixtures and needs.

Thanks, I got it plumbed. May be a slow leak from the Red Sea threaded downpipe but I'll get it sorted. I'm looking to order sand and was inquiring about the sand that was used in the current photo. Thanks!

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Broadfield -

the new doors you did - are the frames wood, and you put acrylic in the middle?
or is the whole thing acrylic?

how did you attach them to the cabinet.

If you have already gone over this - just say you have and i can search through the post.

thank you.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I got it plumbed. May be a slow leak from the Red Sea threaded downpipe but I'll get it sorted. I'm looking to order sand and was inquiring about the sand that was used in the current photo. Thanks!

He used tropic eden reef flakes.

There are various options. Reef flakes, meso flakes and mini flakes.

See here:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that empty tank! It has always been among my favorites on here and has inspired me on my build. No doubt you will be back just as strong as ever.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been so busy with life, work, my personal business, my wife's business and so on, that I just haven't had time to post at all on this site. I apologize if I have left anyone hanging. I set this tank up right at about 3 years ago. I had instant success and rode that high for quite a while. I then had some ups downs the last year or so. Which brings us to today... basically an empty tank.

One of my favorite quotes... that I changed a couple of the words to fit this crazy hobby:

“On this road called reefing, you have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you got, and remember what you had. Always forgive, but never forget, learn from your mistakes, but never regret. Reefs change. Things go wrong. But just remember, the ride goes on.” - unknown

8 months ago... rocking pretty good:

IMG_1417 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

..... and today:

IMG_2060 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I slowly lost basically all of my coral.... literally the only thing that was not affected was my clam. As a last ditch effort to try and figure out what was wrong, I ordered up a Triton test. As expected, it came back spotless and everything where it should be. So I'm not sure if at some point something happened and it just couldn't recover or what... a crash I guess. So I'm taking this opportunity to start over. I figure this is a good opportunity to start the Triton Method. Start with fresh artificial rock, substrate and get this tank down to the basics. No media, just chaeto... which obviously is the main contributor in nutrient control when using the Triton Method. I will be running a new sump in order to properly run the Triton Method... large refugium etc. New plumbing/manifold to utilize the Neptune flow sensors and a couple of the small AquaMaxx reactors in case I need to run carbon or similar in an emergency. Stay tuned!

It must of hurt pretty bad to come on here with this. You are like a Reefer God in this community. It's such a shame when this happens after all the time, effort, and expense put into these prize possessions. But you're right, Life Goes On! Keep up the great work when the time is right, the next chapter will be epic. Thanks for everything and Good Luck!

Reefandthecurious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been so busy with life, work, my personal business, my wife's business and so on, that I just haven't had time to post at all on this site. I apologize if I have left anyone hanging. I set this tank up right at about 3 years ago. I had instant success and rode that high for quite a while. I then had some ups downs the last year or so. Which brings us to today... basically an empty tank.

One of my favorite quotes... that I changed a couple of the words to fit this crazy hobby:

“On this road called reefing, you have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you got, and remember what you had. Always forgive, but never forget, learn from your mistakes, but never regret. Reefs change. Things go wrong. But just remember, the ride goes on.” - unknown

8 months ago... rocking pretty good:

IMG_1417 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

..... and today:

IMG_2060 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I slowly lost basically all of my coral.... literally the only thing that was not affected was my clam. As a last ditch effort to try and figure out what was wrong, I ordered up a Triton test. As expected, it came back spotless and everything where it should be. So I'm not sure if at some point something happened and it just couldn't recover or what... a crash I guess. So I'm taking this opportunity to start over. I figure this is a good opportunity to start the Triton Method. Start with fresh artificial rock, substrate and get this tank down to the basics. No media, just chaeto... which obviously is the main contributor in nutrient control when using the Triton Method. I will be running a new sump in order to properly run the Triton Method... large refugium etc. New plumbing/manifold to utilize the Neptune flow sensors and a couple of the small AquaMaxx reactors in case I need to run carbon or similar in an emergency. Stay tuned!

Wow! Brotha ur tanked deserves to be in the hall of fame. I read through the whole build from start to now. It was amazing to see how you took the stock reefer turned it into a beast. Congrats on the mention in reef magazine. I am truly inspired to get another tank now. I was thinking of getting the 750 Xxl or 650 peninsula. Go big or go home! Lol. I’m new to reefing I just have the 170 at the moment Butyour 450 is a beast. Neptunes apex can thank u because now I want their systems in my next tank. It was fun reading and looking at all the custom work I’ve done. Again truly inspire sorry to hear about your loss. I’m only starting off and already stressing about my coral growing. I can only imagine the pain u felt when u lost all yours. Glad to see that didn’t stop u and kept the ride going with a new set up. Following along to see what beast you create this time. I don’t normally write such long post but u sir deserve all the praise.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had no idea! :( So sorry to see this. If we can help please let us know. Maybe we could donate some frags?

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it took a crash for me to find this tank. And 4 hours later, I can agree that your attention to detail, and your craftmanship, will surely come into play with whatever is next. Look at it this way, the groundwork is already done! Tagging along for the next adventure.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a crazy question.. my tank is dead level according to the bubble. reinforced floor underneath to keep it that way since I had no choice but to go parallel to floor joists. but when I hold the rim of the tank and push back and forth the tank has a slight wobble. i can see it in the water.
it's sitting on hardwoods. and under the hardwoods is 3/4 tongue and groove subfloor.

I cannot see ANYWHERE that all feet aren't touching the floor. Its not so dramatic that I can feel feet lifting then setting back down. but still there nonetheless. anyone else find this? is it the nature of the beast with having a higher than normal center of gravity? two side points. #1 I went to LFS and repeated the shake test... same result. #2 filling the tank and ESPECIALLY the sump helped the matter in a big way. Maybe i just need to fill an let everything settle in. But I am at the start of my build so if I am going to address now is the time.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF I slightly nudge the tank yes it will have a shake, tons of weight up top as you mention. There is a reason they try to keep the center of gravity low on SUV's :)
Maybe others can comment, but I don't think this is the best thread for the question. Probably in a more generic red sea owners thread.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield,

Been awhile since I checked in. The others have said it already - unbelievable turn of events. This tank has definitely been an inspiration for a lot of people. I also had a recent setback that forced me to empty out my tank and restart. It was a bit depressing in the beginning and then I realized I had an opportunity to change a few things in my setup for the better. Next thing you know I'm back in the garage building a new stand and getting excited about the reboot. I hope you are starting to feel the same. way. I will definitely follow your new build closely and wish you all the luck going forward. I know it will not disappoint.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF I slightly nudge the tank yes it will have a shake, tons of weight up top as you mention. There is a reason they try to keep the center of gravity low on SUV's :)
Maybe others can comment, but I don't think this is the best thread for the question. Probably in a more generic red sea owners thread.

agreed...... was thinking the same thought as I hit post

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect for sharing your story and documenting your tank crash experience. I personally find it difficult to relate to forum members with dream tanks who seem to exist in an alternate universe, have the ability to win every battle, and can solve major tank challenges with ridiculous ease.

Like many of the other readers here, I was sorry to hear about the saddening life events surrounding your tank crash. I'm excited to read the next chapter of your story and am confident that as a superhero of the reef-keeping world, you'll emerge triumphant from this intense period of trial.

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a crazy question.. my tank is dead level according to the bubble. reinforced floor underneath to keep it that way since I had no choice but to go parallel to floor joists. but when I hold the rim of the tank and push back and forth the tank has a slight wobble. i can see it in the water.

More likely, you are also seeing flex in the glass (and some on the stand too!). You are taking a gigantic flat pane and nudging the water on the other side of it and expecting to see no reaction/wave. Not going to happen! Something has to give, and glass is actually rather flexible. On my 250gal, the middle of the glass bowed out 1/4" even with a Euro brace when the tank was filled.

TheBarbarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank with the real wow factor !! what a fantastic set up and aquascaping u have made. An inspiration for copying these layout. amazing. did u spray the tubings or did u spray them ? and i see u have used a lot of led strips. how do u connect the strips with each others when u have that distance from the sump to the electronic cabinet. stay tuned, stay focused ;)

TheBarbarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank with the real wow factor !! what a fantastic set up and aquascaping u have made. An inspiration for copying these layout. amazing. did u spray the tubings or did u spray them ? and i see u have used a lot of led strips. how do u connect the strips with each others when u have that distance from the sump to the electronic cabinet. stay tuned, stay focused ;)

TheBarbarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- He got the pipes at bulkreefsupply.com
- Led strips can be extended as long as you'd like if you have a powerful enough driver illuminate the extended strip. Google LED drivers to find one that meets your needs .
- all answers are in the thread. He took time to write them, you should take time to read them.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys could someone please save me the time of clicking through every page of this thread for the plumbing parts used for the loc-line split return. I know I've seen it at some point but can't find it now. Or does the Reefer 450 have a 1/2" slip attachment and just use a 1/2" split loc-line with extra tape? I just want to split the return on my 450. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back