Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what kind of sand are you using currently? I love the look of it and do you stir it everyday to keep it that clean?

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what kind of sand are you using currently? I love the look of it and do you stir it everyday to keep it that clean?

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey broadfield what kind of sand are you currently using? I love the look of it and do you stir it everyday to keep it that clean?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey broadfield what kind of sand are you currently using? I love the look of it and do you stir it everyday to keep it that clean?

I was using Tropic Eden Reefflakes... I stirred it about 2x a week.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plants arrived yesterday and I planted them last night. I'm fairly happy with it since I've never really done a "structured" planted tank. When I was a kid I would just randomly toss some plants in and call it a day. So this is my first go around at a hi-tech planted setup. I'm sure I'll add/change some things in the next week or two, but I am just happy to have some green in there. Next up are some fish, shrimp and so on.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some Amano shrimp, otocinlus cats and Malaysian trumpet snails. They are the A+ clean up crew of the planted tank world.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you back! Your thread was a big part of me getting in this hobby.

I have been looking at a few planted tanks and wow. I will definitely keep following

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People on here have dream tanks and I’m guessing they don’t look like this. I would love to have this in my house

608e0a092380e758576a4b6719540de6.jpg

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield nice planted tank!
? for you.... you dint happen to have your wav settings when your reef from when reef was up and running do you? i have reefer 450 and two WAV
i am an old schooler. wemt from mh vho and korralia to LED, WAV, DOS, H380 OVER FUGE. etcetera. feeling a little overwhelmed with all the settings as opposed to plug and play.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield nice planted tank!
? for you.... you dint happen to have your wav settings when your reef from when reef was up and running do you? i have reefer 450 and two WAV
i am an old schooler. wemt from mh vho and korralia to LED, WAV, DOS, H380 OVER FUGE. etcetera. feeling a little overwhelmed with all the settings as opposed to plug and play.

Doesn't get much easier than my WAV settings... Mavericks 24/7 at the same percentage all day. I set the percentage to the highest I could get it, without my sand blowing everywhere. Usually around 45% - 50%. I would then increase it as the pumps got dirtier... as they slow down over time. Then when I deep cleaned them, turned it back down to the original 45% - 50%.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plants arrived yesterday and I planted them last night. I'm fairly happy with it since I've never really done a "structured" planted tank. When I was a kid I would just randomly toss some plants in and call it a day. So this is my first go around at a hi-tech planted setup. I'm sure I'll add/change some things in the next week or two, but I am just happy to have some green in there. Next up are some fish, shrimp and so on.

Amazing conversion!!!

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get ready to trim. every other month i had ti trim everythung waaaaay back. especially the stem plants

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get ready to trim. every other month i had ti trim everythung waaaaay back. especially the stem plants

Every other month, try every other week. Freshwater plants grow fast in a high tech tank, especially stem plants like you said. If I let my Alternanthera Reineckii go 2 months it would be a foot out of the top of the tank

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back