Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to know if you ever tried it. I currently have a 450 reefer with water and was thinking of changing out my plumbing to what he did as well.
just a quick reply, i believe the 450 and possibly one below have differnt size pipes then the 170 and 260 if i can find where i got the info ill link it

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E75E9B2B-B2AD-4712-9A85-3666DF75E876.jpeg

If it helps anyone; I modded a RSR to fit 1” PVC

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wood lathe would be ideal for the project but I used a dril and sandpaper on a wood block to reduce the pvc pieces; tried fitting them into the bulkheads several times untill they were just the correct diameter.
Theres a solvent/glue for bonding different plastic material; in this case ABS and PVC

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wood lathe would be ideal for the project but I used a dril and sandpaper on a wood block to reduce the pvc pieces; tried fitting them into the bulkheads several times untill they were just the correct diameter.
Theres a solvent/glue for bonding different plastic material; in this case ABS and PVC
Just looked over the link. Great idea and pretty easy with basic tools.

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@marioensf I'm guessing all went well no leaking? i really didnt want to pay for red sea plumbing but got the plumbing kit for my max e-170 becuase i didnt want to drain the sump on the back and have to wait any longer then nececarry before getting the sump below hooked up but now im regretting it id much prefer to do all diy and stock sizes. the kit did come with the piece that attaches to the overflow for a return and didnt want to diy that although i could have bought just that piece :/ do you have any pics of the setup?

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@marioensf I'm guessing all went well no leaking? i really didnt want to pay for red sea plumbing but got the plumbing kit for my max e-170 becuase i didnt want to drain the sump on the back and have to wait any longer then nececarry before getting the sump below hooked up but now im regretting it id much prefer to do all diy and stock sizes. the kit did come with the piece that attaches to the overflow for a return and didnt want to diy that although i could have bought just that piece :/ do you have any pics of the setup?
No leaks at all. The tank is a work in progress; still need to build a cabinet for it. Busy with work so I’ll find some time perhaps during the summer to keep working on it.

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must state as well that if your system is running and want to do the diy retrofit for domestic pipes, the main issue is allowing the glue/solvent to cure before you are able to run water through the newly installed pipes

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must state as well that if your system is running and want to do the diy retrofit for domestic pipes, the main issue is allowing the glue/solvent to cure before you are able to run water through the newly installed pipes
thanks had a velvet outbreak hit so fast.... just corals in tank and one remaining goby in QT now. I bought the red sea pipe kit so ill prob just mod that even though o really like and prefer your method :/

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm trying to decide which way to go, to convert to standard plumbing. In addition to your idea above, I saw that RandyC converted to standard plumbing by using a 32mm x 1" transition union, gluing it with PVC primer and cement, to the Red Sea fitting (42221). However, Red Sea stated to RandyC, that the return fitting is of "unknown plastic." I am a little concern if the cement will hold long term.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

RandyC 32x1 Union.jpeg RandyC 42221.jpeg

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm trying to decide which way to go, to convert to standard plumbing. In addition to your idea above, I saw that RandyC converted to standard plumbing by using a 32mm x 1" transition union, gluing it with PVC primer and cement, to the Red Sea fitting (42221). However, Red Sea stated to RandyC, that the return fitting is of "unknown plastic." I am a little concern if the cement will hold long term.

You can use Redsea Part 4221 and 3/4 thread to 1" slip adapter (Wrap this with tape and it attaches to the RedSea part). This is another common method that other members here are doing. This is also what I am going to do. That way no permanent gluing to the bulkhead.

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Redsea Part 4221 and 3/4 thread to 1" slip adapter (Wrap this with tape and it attaches to the RedSea part). This is another common method that other members here are doing. This is also what I am going to do. That way no permanent gluing to the bulkhead.

That makes me a little nervous too... using extra tape to gap the difference between 25mm and 3/4" threads. Seems like it might be prone to leaks. Hopefully, it's not something that would completely fail. And, do you use an o-ring on the new adapter?

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me a little nervous too... using extra tape to gap the difference between 25mm and 3/4" threads. Seems like it might be prone to leaks. Hopefully, it's not something that would completely fail. And, do you use an o-ring on the new adapter?

Check out @Butuz and @Eight build. They went this route as well. I don’t think they use o-ring. Butuz used aquarium sealant to reinforce the connection.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used the teflon tape method to fit a 3/4" threaded/1" slip adapter on my Reefer XL 425. It's been working fine for over 2 years now with no leaks.

IMG_2662.jpg

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s a cement specific to bond different types of plastic, that’s what I used; should be on the same area where you get PVC or ABS cement

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This one

A4526F8A-6F70-489A-BD15-957858AE8B5D.jpeg

DesertReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a few people say the #42221 fitting is no longer able to be dissembled, it's now glued. Has anyone confirmed this? I'm thinking of ordering the parts to go the route of converting with the Redsea fitting and teflon tape but was wondering if the fitting has been changed.

Thanks to everyone and their contributions, it is much appreciated.

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't they talking about the 42222 part?
That's for the bigger reefer models and cannot be disassembled.
However the 42221 should fit those reefer models as well as far I can see in some of the 750xxl threads here.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back