Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

stscream4187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is incredible, love everything about it.

Random curiosity question, if you had to do it over again, would you still go with a Reefer given all of the customization you have done? It seems like you are extremely handy and DIY, that's why I ask.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pipe that goes to the electronics side of your stand for an ATO?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pipe that goes to the electronics side of your stand for an ATO?

That leads down to my water change, mixing station area. My ATO is pulled directly out of the right container via a black 1/4" line tha goes up to my sump. ATO duties are handled by a Puratek Auto Level Controller.

IMG_4021 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4022 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Reefer 450 RO:DI by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Reefer 450 Salt Mix by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Reefer 450 Drain by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Reefer 450 Fill by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Last edited:

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your water station, Look great! Is there a reason you didn't put the tubs on stands? I'd assume it'd be nice to have that baffle off the ground enough to put a bucket underneath it.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you hide the heaters?

They are in the drain chamber.

I like your water station, Look great! Is there a reason you didn't put the tubs on stands? I'd assume it'd be nice to have that baffle off the ground enough to put a bucket underneath it.

I honestly don't ever have the need to do anything with a bucket. Once in awhile I'll take some RO out of it. It's not in the picture, but I have a black hose to attach on the right end of the plumbing. So as long as the water level is higher in the 65 gallon container, it will easily fill a bucket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is incredible, love everything about it.

Random curiosity question, if you had to do it over again, would you still go with a Reefer given all of the customization you have done? It seems like you are extremely handy and DIY, that's why I ask.

Probably, yes. The Reefer series tanks are really nice set ups. It allows you to get everything up and running and then modify things later at your leisure. Because if I went custom on a tank this size, it would probably cost almost as much as the entire Reefer setup. So I don't feel like I'm wasting the sump per say. My next tank will be substantially bigger, so a Reefer isn't going to fit the bill any way.:)

ShanH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait for the update on chiller section! When's it coming?! lol

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield,

I basically copied your mixing station set up. It has been great so far for doing water changes. My question though is: How do you clean your substrate?

I have been using a python siphon and 5 gal buckets, but I thought to myself: there has got to be a better way to do this, I'm sure Broadfield has thought of something. I'm hesitant to siphon crap down my plumbing that goes through the floor out of fear that something will get stuck, and I really don't want to deal with fixing that.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait for the update on chiller section! When's it coming?! lol

I actually came in early to work today... I'm working on it right now! I'm hoping in the next couple of weeks.

Broadfield,

I basically copied your mixing station set up. It has been great so far for doing water changes. My question though is: How do you clean your substrate?

I have been using a python siphon and 5 gal buckets, but I thought to myself: there has got to be a better way to do this, I'm sure Broadfield has thought of something. I'm hesitant to siphon crap down my plumbing that goes through the floor out of fear that something will get stuck, and I really don't want to deal with fixing that.

I simply stir my sand every few days. Keeps junk out of it and my corals like to feed off of what gets stirred up into the water column.... which isn't much since I stir it every week at a minimum.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job on the diagrams for us!

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your attention to detail is amazing. I'm definitely going to try to copy your mixing station design. :D

Where did you purchase the 65g containers?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield can you talk a little more about your APEX setup? Do you feel it's a must have? What modules are you running? etc...

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield can you talk a little more about your APEX setup? Do you feel it's a must have? What modules are you running? etc...

Is it a must have for a successful reef?... absolutely not! Is a must have for me personally?... absolutely lol! My opinion on it is even stronger now that Neptune has the WAVs, DOS, DDR, the COR around the corner, their ATO around the corner etc. I'm a huge fan of integration and everything talking to each other. Being able to monitor basic things like temp, salinity, pH etc and then use those values to turn on or off equipment automatically, it's just one less thing I have to worry about. I can do a water change from my phone... just doesn't get much more enjoyable than that! Well, I have to turn a couple of valves also, but you get the point. And you could easily just use a DOS to do constant water changes or timed water changes without really touching a thing.

My Neptune setup is fairly simple compared to some:
  • Apex Gold
  • DOS
  • DDR
  • 1-Link x 2 (1 for DT and 1 in the basement)
  • WAV pumps x 3 (2 in my DT and 1 in my salt water mixing container)
  • PM2 x 2 (1 for DT and 1 for my salt water mixing station) - I monitor temp and salinity in my salt water container
I'm sure I will be purchasing the COR and definitely their ATO setup once they are released. I'm currently using a Puratek Auto Level Controller for my ATO duties... and it's absolutely amazing! But it's not integrated with the Apex at all. So I would like to be able to monitor/control that through the Apex once their ATO is available.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well said!

Back