OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some time the last couple of mornings to work on my control center. I actually made new cover plates.... the old ones had angled corners. After getting the sump in last week, I realized rounded corners would carry over from the sump better. So a LOT of template tape and routering later.... still need to polish edges, go back and rabbet a little deeper to make room for the edge lit LED strips etc. Then it will be onto making all of the provisions for floating the modules on the white acrylic and doing the underglow LEDs for the modules.

IMG_7789 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7790 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7792 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7793 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7795 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7777 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7800 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7801 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7802 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7806 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7808 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7810 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_7811 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! I just got off the phone with Chan from Red Sea................. those 3 fittings that Broadfield used to re-plumb his Reefer 450 is $22.00ea. So that comes to $66.00 for 3 of the return barbed fittings!!! Then your just going to unscrew the barbed fitting and toss it in the garbage to use a threaded slip fitting to re-plumb with a Spears gate valve.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! I just got off the phone with Chan from Red Sea................. those 3 fittings that Broadfield used to re-plumb his Reefer 450 is $22.00ea. So that comes to $66.00 for 3 of the return barbed fittings!!! Then your just going to unscrew the barbed fitting and toss it in the garbage to use a threaded slip fitting to re-plumb with a Spears gate valve.

LOL, I thought it seemed cheapo_O

It's nice to see you post over here once in a great while though!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You got some skills!

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those template guides you used for your cutouts are pretty slick! Where do you get them and what are they called?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those template guides you used for your cutouts are pretty slick! Where do you get them and what are they called?

There's two main kinds of templates.... shaped templates and adjustable templates. Shaped ones are just predetermined shapes in several different sizes... like the following on the wall:

SmartTemplates1-1024x768.jpg

An adjustable template kit comes with a ton of straight, axis and other simple shapes to allow you to bolt them together to make your own simple to complex templates. I personally have the master adjustable set. I then have all of the circle smart templates. My adjustable template kit includes the following:

s766770830534488916_p922_i3_w2560.jpeg

s766770830534488916_p922_i2_w2560.jpeg

An example of using the adjustable template kit above, is this very simple panel I made in the trunk of a new Nissan Altima, to hide the sub woofer enclosure:

IMG_6231 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6245 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6255 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's two main kinds of templates.... shaped templates and adjustable templates. Shaped ones are just predetermined shapes in several different sizes... like the following on the wall:

SmartTemplates1-1024x768.jpg

An adjustable template kit comes with a ton of straight, axis and other simple shapes to allow you to bolt them together to make your own simple to complex templates. I personally have the master adjustable set. I then have all of the circle smart templates. My adjustable template kit includes the following:

s766770830534488916_p922_i3_w2560.jpeg

s766770830534488916_p922_i2_w2560.jpeg

An example of using the adjustable template kit above, is this very simple panel I made in the trunk of a new Nissan Altima, to hide the sub woofer enclosure:

IMG_6231 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6245 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6255 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

So smart! As you were making your display it totally looks like you were making speaker boxes. It all makes sense now.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap. I looked up those template kits. They are proud of those aren't they?! Dang man I was thinking like 100$ tops... not 700!

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hats off to you Tony a fantastic build and attention to detail that I could only dream of.

I have a reefer 450 too and fully enjoy what it brings with quality and design that allows a reefer to grow out into a great tank.

Will continue to follow progress

Paul

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the cabinet work, Excellent work!

I see you upgraded your l1 to a m1 and no doubt your reactors and that u turn you have to the tank kills flow. Based on your opinion of these two pump, I have a 120 I'm setting up with dual returns and single maybe dual reactor (gfo and carbon), I was thinking about going smaller but was wondering your opinion based on owning both?

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BROADFIELD, can you tell me how the gate valve has been working out for you?

1) Is it noisy? I see you used no unions above and below the gate valve.

2) Do you find it easier to maintain the return pump refill/drain balance then the stock Red Sea dial?

Also, If my knowledge serves me correct, you specified you used the 3/4 inch threaded/slip adapter..........then 15 wraps of teflon tape, but I could have sworn you used 1 inch pipe throughout? Does the main drain and emergency drain need to be 3/4 inch? Or could I open up to 1 inch? Im currently using 3/4 inch PVC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show off! :cool:

LOL, possibly

wow!!! I follow this thread like a kid at Christmas. I cant wait to see the finished product.

You said it... I can't wait to see it finished either!

Love the cabinet work, Excellent work!

I see you upgraded your l1 to a m1 and no doubt your reactors and that u turn you have to the tank kills flow. Based on your opinion of these two pump, I have a 120 I'm setting up with dual returns and single maybe dual reactor (gfo and carbon), I was thinking about going smaller but was wondering your opinion based on owning both?

With both reactors online and 3/4" main piping, the M1 at 100% was on the low end of acceptable to me. With three reactors online and 1" main piping, the L1 at 100% is some major flow!... I like it:)

BROADFIELD, can you tell me how the gate valve has been working out for you?

1) Is it noisy? I see you used no unions above and below the gate valve.

2) Do you find it easier to maintain the return pump refill/drain balance then the stock Red Sea dial?

Also, If my knowledge serves me correct, you specified you used the 3/4 inch threaded/slip adapter..........then 15 wraps of teflon tape, but I could have sworn you used 1 inch pipe throughout? Does the main drain and emergency drain need to be 3/4 inch? Or could I open up to 1 inch? Im currently using 3/4 inch PVC.

1) It is absolutely dead silent. I did not use any unions... not sure why I would!?!

2) I didn't find the Red Sea one hard to adjust/maintain. However, something is definitely easier about the gate valve. I can't really explain it... it's like it's not as sensitive. I can even adjust the flow through one of my reactors and it doesn't require me to adjust the gate valve to compensate. With the Red Sea valve, I would of needed to adjust it any time I changed reactor flow. This actually doesn't make any sense that I don't have to adjust the gate valve, but it is what it is. I set my new sump up 2 weeks ago and still haven't adjusted the gate valve since then.

3) Yes, I did 1" for the main piping. I used 1" on my drain and emergency, but 3/4" would be just fine. I simply wanted it to match.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such an amazing build! Just keeps getting better! Quick question, which fittings are these? I think you answered before that they were 3/4"? Are they 1" to 3/4" reducers? Just trying to pickup everything I need to connect 1" to a reefer. 1" slip to 3/4" threaded? Thanks and sorry, I'm just really confused.

TinyGrab Screen Shot 11-21-16, 4.21.04 PM.png

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, thats what I was trying to figure out as well.... are the 3/4 inch to 1 inch. Sorry Broadfield, the force is strong with you. As you can tell the rest of us don't have Jedi skills. LOL.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back