Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Broadfield, Aug 25, 2015.

1. schaNYC

schaNYC Member Partner Member 2018

Apologies if this was covered already, but is there anything supporting your reactors? Is it just the pvc connections holding them up or pipes clipped into cabinet wall? Any concern over the weight? Thx

2. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

The pipes are held into place with PVC pipe clamps, but there is nothing supporting the actual reactor aside from the fitting itself. The fitting is nutted into place on the inside of the reactor and the top plate of the reactor is made of fairly thick acrylic... so I am not concerned. Hopefully you don't jinx it;)

CDavmd likes this.
  3. schaNYC

schaNYC Member Partner Member 2018

When the fitting is nutted, is that a threaded piece or still slip?

4. Broadfield

Broadfield Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

5. AlexDm

AlexDm Active Member

Okay thank you! Really incredible, what kind of wood did you use, also how thick if it matters ? ? Im trying to mąkę something similar (probably nothing remote close to yours) for my reefer 350, obviously inspired by you.

6. Broadfield

I used 3/4" MDF

AlexDm likes this.
  7. CWR24

CWR24 Member

Hey there Broadfield.....first off as many others have mentioned to you, congrats on your work. Your 450 is nothing short of spectacular be it the top or bottom. I always consider having a saltwater tank as "Living Art" as far as having fish and corals......and the rest of your system is mind blowing art of the thought process and craftsmanship you put into it. Can look at it over and over again and shake my head every time and just say WOW!!

I live in Illinois myself in the suburbs off of Chicago and about 30 minutes from Schaumburg. And I was wondering if you might be taking the time to hit up that Aquatic Experience this weekend in Schaumburg. Would be cool to meet and pick your mind over some things as I have a 350 all unboxed and sitting in my living room and ready to get going on it. Just wanted some solid advice and input on stuff so I do a few things right from the start and don't have to backtrack later. If you'll be attending great......and if not I hope you don't mind if I bombard you with some questions on here or however.

Iv'e had a RSM 130D for about 8 years and had decent success keeping it pretty standard, but this will be my first time doing anything with needing return pump.......skimmer......possibly reactors......etc. So your knowledge on some things would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day and again thanks from many of us on here who you take the time to help with your pics, input, and descriptions of your methods.

Take care........Craig

8. Broadfield

Thanks Craig, unfortunately I will not be attending Aquatic Experience this weekend... prior engagements. I always enjoy meeting fellow hobbyists too, especially ones with a Reefer series tank. So you will just have to ask your questions on here, PM etc. Also, if you are ever traveling south in the state, I'm right off I-55... I'm always down for guests!

Salahunreal likes this.
  9. dMiles

dMiles Member

This is whahi
    Tis is what I got from AI yesterday:"Thank you for contacting AquaIllumination and that's actually incorrect. The Prime HD and 26HD use the exact same LED pucks and diodes which produce the same spectrum. A 26HD will obviously have more power/par simply because it has two pucks. If you have any other questions, please give us a call." What was told to you about the PrimeHD and Hydra 26HD was incorrect.

10. Broadfield

No, I had original Hydra 52s... not HD models. They are indeed different.... they don't even use the same blue channels. But yes, if you are comparing the Prime to an HD model, then they are definitely the same pucks.

11. dMiles

dMiles Member

Ok got ya. I'm ordering the RSR 525xl deluxe so I was concerned about the lights after reading your post. Thanks for the clarification. Beautiful set-up by the way. I hope you don't mind me trying to simulate you dryside cabinet.​

12. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

One of the best all around reef tanks on R2R!

Fin likes this.
  13. Broadfield

No problem... I just didn't want you misinformed.

Thank you sir! I just finished up the cabinet doors with the smoked acrylic and grey paint color. Looks really sick... I can't wait to show it off to you. I'm actually making my first video of the full tank with commentary.... so that will have the first look at the doors. Stay tuned

VJV, Scubafrog, Faraday and 3 others like this.
  14. CWR24

CWR24 Member

Hey there.......thanks for getting back to me. I'll definitely message you soon with some things I can use advice on. And I think it would be quite worthwhile to shoot 55 south sometime to see that work of art in person.

15. klondike4001

klondike4001 Member Partner Member 2018

Still waiting for the update that was mentioned on facebook? What changes were you wanting to make on your sump?

16. Broadfield

Ok, finally finished modifying the Red Sea doors. Took far too long to get the paint the way I wanted it... just been busy and went through like three different colors. But I finally achieved what I was after. As mentioned weeks ago, I wanted to do a medium gray color to stand out more than the black colored doors, but not be over the top... and it still needed to go with the black stand and the rest of my house. The finished images are not the best, but it was tough shooting the dark colored doors, with reflections and so on. I'll go back and try to reshoot them with the tank lights off, but I just now thought of that. I also took a video of the entire tank/stand and hope to edit that this week. It will be my first informative video about my entire tank with commentary.

So I did a decorative black acrylic border and then the smoked acrylic window right behind that. It's tough to see the black in the images, but it looks killer in person. The smoked acrylic worked out even better than I had hoped. I thought the white sump might still be visible when the accent lighting was off in the stand... but it worked out great.

[​IMG]IMG_9560 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_1409 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_1409 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  17. Broadfield

18. klondike4001

Very nice sir!

19. Fin

Fin Is it wet yet? R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Very nice! That came out great! Perfect way to showcase all of your meticulous work on the inside. If I send you my doors... :)

20. klondike4001

What do you want to change on the sump?

Draft saved Draft deleted