Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

Englet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield I just upgraded to a 250 and I am currently running 2 mp 10s mixed reef what settings do you currently run yours on ??
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield I just upgraded to a 250 and I am currently running 2 mp 10s mixed reef what settings do you currently run yours on ??
Thanks in advance

I run Neptune WAV pumps. But my settings would potentially be completely different than what you can run since your tank is a lot smaller.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was looking at the beginning of your post when you first started you had MP 10s

Yeah, they were just carryovers from my previous nano tank. I only had them in there for a couple of weeks while I waited for the Neptune WAVs to be released.

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onto the Apex system and wiring. For this tank I wanted to get ultra organized. I don't have a need for a chiller where I live. Once it hits at least 80 in the spring here, it's humid as can be... so the air is on. So this gave me a great place to mount/display all of my Apex gear, Vortech controllers etc. I decided I would do a false panel that held the modules/controllers and then have all of the power bricks and EnergyBars behind it.

I blocked off 2/3 of the opening for a "power panel". You can also see the 3/4" schedule 80 that comes from the basement for water changes etc.

IMG_3987 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I then secured a panel up high for part of the gear and hinged a second panel below it for all of the Apex modules and controller. This can be hinged up 90 degrees to gain access to all of the cabling. Then lastly a 3rd panel to block off the bottom. My next task is to organize all of the cables behind there.

IMG_4008 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4020 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4012 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I know that’s the old setup, but what type of hinges are those?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Corey Chism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Toby, Your tank looks sick. Great job and thanks for taking your time to post and show everyone.

I currently have the MAX E260 and I am looking to add the underneath sump. Am I correct in assuming for for the return I could buy an extra emergency drain and cutting it to add the metric to standard slip conversions that BRS sells? I understand that I would only be able to run 3/4 in pipe and not the 1in you did?

Would I also be able to perform the above for the main drain? I know the main drain is larger at 32mm, I don’t have the actual plumbing so I am not sure if it is just the pipe that is larger but the part the screws in to the bulkhead is only 25mm? Or would it best just to use the adaptor you used for the main drain?

Also what size screws did you use to secure the PVC Pipe clamp to the top of your stand? I don’t want to use something to long and crack the tank but I also don’t want to use a screw that is not long enough and not be able to support the weight?

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Toby,

Looks like I ordered the incorrect Red Sea part from fishtanksdirect.com since Red Sea is out.

Is this what I'm looking to get to hard plumb the and replace the valve?

RED SEA REEFER SUMP PUMP RETURN CONNECTOR 16MM

I ordered RED SEA REEFER SUMP PUMP RETURN OUTLET NOZZLE ASSEMBLY, which is the piece of the return that comes out of the overflow box.

Just want to be sure I get the right one this time. I should have asked before I ordered. Now that I read what it is again, it totally makes more sense.

Thanks

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular tool you're using to keep the black return area coralline free? Im using a scraper but the corners have it pretty imbedded in there.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bravo, amazing thread, truly an inspiration to everyone here
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions (some of them multiple times).

Any thoughts on deleting and fabricating the central return.
;););)
2rVpE4E.jpg

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Broadfield the tank looks amazing , it looks like you are going more towards the SPS side a bit !

I could not find any thing on how you made the center Overflow column disappear? As well have you posted the video yet , I didn’t find that either .

All other comments a side the tank looks beautiful and amazing , have to agree with rev one of the best tanks on R2R!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bravo, amazing thread, truly an inspiration to everyone here
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions (some of them multiple times).

Any thoughts on deleting and fabricating the central return.
;););)
2rVpE4E.jpg

I wonder if anyone has ever tried covering the return column with mirrors to give the illusion that it's not there? Might freak out some fish though...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back