OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got off the phone with Red Sea (Not very helpful).
They informed me that the design has changed but the fitting is the same.
That being said, Is it possible for you to let me know exactly what I need and how to make it work?

Yep, it's the fitting I already listed.... 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter:

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html

836-102_1.jpg

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you guys don't mind if I follow along. I'm in the infancy stages of my 450 build. Got the tank built and finally level to my satisfaction last night and added supported the floor to below. I have three friends coming over tonight to lift in the house and on the stand. After its on the stand I intend to check for level again and then fit the doors again. After I got the stand all built and the doors exactly aligned perfectly I felt it safer to remove the doors moving the tank around to level mine.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make sure I fully understand.
Is this the fitting I would have to wrap in teflon tape to ensure watertight fit?

Will this fighting reduce the return pipe size? I think I understand it to be a 1 inch opening. Is that correct?

You are wrapping the threaded part to make it fit the slightly larger opening of the redsea part
The other side is a 1” slip fitting that will only need pvc primer and glue DO NOT use teflon on that side

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a plumbing parts lists for this setup? I've never done any and would love a 'laymans' guide to how/what you used in the setup. Thanks.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That leads down to my water change, mixing station area. My ATO is pulled directly out of the right container via a black 1/4" line tha goes up to my sump. ATO duties are handled by a Puratek Auto Level Controller.

IMG_4021 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4022 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Reefer 450 RO:DI by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Reefer 450 Salt Mix by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Reefer 450 Drain by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Reefer 450 Fill by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

That is absolutely amazing! I've heard so many mention you on the forum and came to look. Glad I did! I just got the Reefer 450 and having trouble getting from Red Sea plumbing to standard. I thought they were compatible with an adapter but my plumbing isn't close to fitting theirs. Outstanding work, inspirational!

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question about the manifold plumbing; anyone feel free to answer.

Why the "U" at the end of the line before the return goes back up to the tank, I have seen this on a lot of manifolds where the water goes down a pipe for about a foot, then back up again at the end of the manifold line. Is it simply because you are running the piping as close to the top of the cabinet as possible, and obviously need to go down to get back to the level of the pipe feeding the tank? Or is it by some other water flow design... thanks!

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question about the manifold plumbing; anyone feel free to answer.

Why the "U" at the end of the line before the return goes back up to the tank, I have seen this on a lot of manifolds where the water goes down a pipe for about a foot, then back up again at the end of the manifold line. Is it simply because you are running the piping as close to the top of the cabinet as possible, and obviously need to go down to get back to the level of the pipe feeding the tank? Or is it by some other water flow design... thanks!
There's no room, if you want to mount the manifold on the roof of the cabinet. By the time you add the slip to 3/4 thread fixture and a right angle bend- you are forced to make a "U" to get back up. Broadfield has the tightest right angle turn and he still had to travel back up. Its no where near a foot however. You can see mine in the build thread at the bottom of my signature. All variations on this same theme that Broadfield taught us.

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby, where in the world is your plumbing list? I have read this thread front and back and cant find it.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew that switching out sumps, plumbing etc would be stressful. So I got as much of the plumbing glued up and ready to roll ahead of time. That way my tank would be down off of life support for the least amount of time. I decided to pull the trigger Monday after work.

Before:

IMG_5972 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Removed:

IMG_7676 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Manifold and main piping installed:

IMG_7681 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Virtually everything swapped over:

IMG_7696 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I still need to do all of my accent lighting, ultra organize the cable runs etc. I'll then get some pics with my good camera. I have an acrylic shipment coming in this week, so hopefully I can get more done on the control center side.

maybe this was answered but im still a long way from finishing reading this thread (great work by the way), in your previous and current setup you have a U after your manifold on the return line back up to tank, is there a reason for this instead of using a 90

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been so busy with life, work, my personal business, my wife's business and so on, that I just haven't had time to post at all on this site. I apologize if I have left anyone hanging. I set this tank up right at about 3 years ago. I had instant success and rode that high for quite a while. I then had some ups downs the last year or so. Which brings us to today... basically an empty tank.

One of my favorite quotes... that I changed a couple of the words to fit this crazy hobby:

“On this road called reefing, you have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you got, and remember what you had. Always forgive, but never forget, learn from your mistakes, but never regret. Reefs change. Things go wrong. But just remember, the ride goes on.” - unknown

8 months ago... rocking pretty good:

IMG_1417 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

..... and today:

IMG_2060 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I slowly lost basically all of my coral.... literally the only thing that was not affected was my clam. As a last ditch effort to try and figure out what was wrong, I ordered up a Triton test. As expected, it came back spotless and everything where it should be. So I'm not sure if at some point something happened and it just couldn't recover or what... a crash I guess. So I'm taking this opportunity to start over. I figure this is a good opportunity to start the Triton Method. Start with fresh artificial rock, substrate and get this tank down to the basics. No media, just chaeto... which obviously is the main contributor in nutrient control when using the Triton Method. I will be running a new sump in order to properly run the Triton Method... large refugium etc. New plumbing/manifold to utilize the Neptune flow sensors and a couple of the small AquaMaxx reactors in case I need to run carbon or similar in an emergency. Stay tuned!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that stand

It's a stock Red Sea cabinet with customized doors and electronics compartment. If you scroll back to page 22 of this thread, you'll see where he milled the custom parts for the stand.

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been so busy with life, work, my personal business, my wife's business and so on, that I just haven't had time to post at all on this site. I apologize if I have left anyone hanging. I set this tank up right at about 3 years ago. I had instant success and rode that high for quite a while. I then had some ups downs the last year or so. Which brings us to today... basically an empty tank.

One of my favorite quotes... that I changed a couple of the words to fit this crazy hobby:

“On this road called reefing, you have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you got, and remember what you had. Always forgive, but never forget, learn from your mistakes, but never regret. Reefs change. Things go wrong. But just remember, the ride goes on.” - unknown

8 months ago... rocking pretty good:

IMG_1417 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

..... and today:

IMG_2060 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I slowly lost basically all of my coral.... literally the only thing that was not affected was my clam. As a last ditch effort to try and figure out what was wrong, I ordered up a Triton test. As expected, it came back spotless and everything where it should be. So I'm not sure if at some point something happened and it just couldn't recover or what... a crash I guess. So I'm taking this opportunity to start over. I figure this is a good opportunity to start the Triton Method. Start with fresh artificial rock, substrate and get this tank down to the basics. No media, just chaeto... which obviously is the main contributor in nutrient control when using the Triton Method. I will be running a new sump in order to properly run the Triton Method... large refugium etc. New plumbing/manifold to utilize the Neptune flow sensors and a couple of the small AquaMaxx reactors in case I need to run carbon or similar in an emergency. Stay tuned!

Jesus........................Dude I'm so sorry. I hadn't been on the thread for a while, but man I wasn't expecting this. I was expecting that the 450 would've been modded to fly or travel back in time, but I NEVER would've guessed this. Any suspicion or idea as to the cause???

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Major changes coming! Sorry for the struggles but I’m excited to see what comes next!

Ugh[emoji20] pit in my stomach seeing that picture. So sorry.

Jesus........................Dude I'm so sorry. I hadn't been on the thread for a while, but man I wasn't expecting this. I was expecting that the 450 would've been modded to fly or travel back in time, but I NEVER would've guessed this. Any suspicion or idea as to the cause???

Thanks for your concern guys! All I can think is that I had a major alk shift in there somewhere.

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness! So sad to see this. Your tank has been an inspiration. I find myself coming back to this thread over and over as a reference. I'm sorry for you but also excited to see what you do next.

kmcgillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on running Triton on your RSR 450... I don’t think you’ll be able achieve the Triton recommended 10 x display volume turnover.

I set up a RSR 525XL (108 gal display) with the intent of running Triton. Unfortunately, I am unable to get much over 600 gph flow (as measured by my Apex flow sensors) through the plumbing before it starts making all sorts of disconcerting noises. Gurgling and whistling sounds... like it’s about to burst!

I contacted RedSea and asked how much flow could safely be handled by their plumbing. Unfortunately, I got a response back from a sales rep that really didn’t understand their product. “We recommend a pump that can do 1060 gph.... so that’s the maximum flow you can have....” She did not understand the concept of head pressure, and the fact that if you recommend a pump doing 1060gph, you’re actually getting a much lower flow rate out of the return nozzle.

I also tried the contact Triton (on the R2R forums) to see if they had any recommendations on how I should modify my system to compensate for the fact that I can’t run at the recommend 10x turnover. Never received a response from them.

I would love to know if you’re finding the same issue and if you’ve found a work around!

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on running Triton on your RSR 450... I don’t think you’ll be able achieve the Triton recommended 10 x display volume turnover.

I set up a RSR 525XL (108 gal display) with the intent of running Triton. Unfortunately, I am unable to get much over 600 gph flow (as measured by my Apex flow sensors) through the plumbing before it starts making all sorts of disconcerting noises. Gurgling and whistling sounds... like it’s about to burst!

I contacted RedSea and asked how much flow could safely be handled by their plumbing. Unfortunately, I got a response back from a sales rep that really didn’t understand their product. “We recommend a pump that can do 1060 gph.... so that’s the maximum flow you can have....” She did not understand the concept of head pressure, and the fact that if you recommend a pump doing 1060gph, you’re actually getting a much lower flow rate out of the return nozzle.

I also tried the contact Triton (on the R2R forums) to see if they had any recommendations on how I should modify my system to compensate for the fact that I can’t run at the recommend 10x turnover. Never received a response from them.

I would love to know if you’re finding the same issue and if you’ve found a work around!

There’s loads of us using Triton through Red Sea tanks bro - the 10x turn over is just the recommended amount. Just get what you can achieve without noise disturbing you.

You can always add an additional powder head in the algae section if it’s needed [emoji1303] Triton other methods is also worth considering - I run a ClariSea roller with mine [emoji4]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back