Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

CJR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toby, so why did you end up ditching the AI Primes? Initially you were happy with the spectrum, were you not getting the SPS growth you were hoping for? The tank looked well lit in pictures and videos and it seems your softies were doing well, why the change?

Also, curious about your oxydator, which size did you get? Where did you buy it? Heard that the US site never gets them in stock? Can you post a shot of it in your sump?
Beautiful tank and sweet control center, I'm hoping to achieve a similar look with my current build.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, wondering how you plumbed your vectra? I am planning on getting one very shortly and see there are alot of option for plumbing this, I see you went hard pipe with no flex sections; do you have vibration issues?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

bowen1022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Broadfield, just a quick question what were your prime settings when you had it? Thanks!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Broadfield, just a quick question what were your prime settings when you had it? Thanks!

Would like to know this as well and also why you ditched them.
Thanks.

Here is my graph:

24408562881_78f6146baa_b.jpg

24408562921_c69f74a437_b.jpg

Here is my dropbox file if anyone wants to try it out... it's roughly a 14k-15k spectrum:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14tqn9s6ibw793x/Broadfied AI Prime 14.5k - 11 Hour?dl=0

I replaced the Primes with a Giesemann Aurora T5/LED hybrid fixture for numerous reasons. I was actually REALLY pleased with the Primes. Those little guys did really well on a mixed reef that is 60" x 22" x 20". However, I have never owned T5's and wanted to try them out. But I didn't want to give up the positives of LEDs... so I figured why not have them both. The T5's offer perfect coverage. With the Primes, I was disappointed that fish were not illuminated very well when they were closer to the front of the tank... likewise with corals. I'm still getting the Giesemann dialed in. For you LED guys, you'll probably back me up when I say it seemed like I was always messing with Prime colors and %'s to get just the right spectrum. Well, now add in 4 T5 bulbs to the mix, that are 100% dimmable and all of the bulb choice combos that you can do. You can see why I'm still dialing it in lol. I think I have it where I'm pretty darn happy though. I have yet to take a new video with the Giesemann on there, but very soon. I'll be sure to post it in here once I do.

imjedi76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you place your wav on the back of the tank? How's that working out and what settings do you have it on?

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Toby. Sure wish you would make house calls. My Red Sea 350 sure could use your help and my wire management is hopeless. Following this gorgeous build.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you place your wav on the back of the tank? How's that working out and what settings do you have it on?

If you check out my last video, you can see the placement of them on the back wall. They are aimed in and up... works awesome!

I'm running the same program on both WAV units:

WAV by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how are doing? I agree I pretty much have the 26 hd's set were you had your primes set after 2 months of tweak spectrum. I am sure that I will tweak some more.
Hydra setting 6-22-16.PNG

imjedi76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check out my last video, you can see the placement of them on the back wall. They are aimed in and up... works awesome!

How low are they placed from the water level? I have the cadlights 100g which is 4ft compared to the reefer 450 and I just picked up the wav starter kit. Was planning on placing them on each end of the tank until I saw your video. Does it cover the whole tank well?

FrootStick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud. I'm curious as to what your programme was with your mp40's. I'm fine tuning mine

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How low are they placed from the water level? I have the cadlights 100g which is 4ft compared to the reefer 450 and I just picked up the wav starter kit. Was planning on placing them on each end of the tank until I saw your video. Does it cover the whole tank well?

I have them about 5" BWL, angled all the way in towards the middle of the tank and aimed slightly up. Your tank may be different though depending on your aquascape etc. I REALLY love these WAVs though. They would easily be enough flow for a 180g.... let along our tanks.

Hey bud. I'm curious as to what your programme was with your mp40's. I'm fine tuning mine

I don't have MP40's... nor have I ever owned any.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Toby. Sure wish you would make house calls. My Red Sea 350 sure could use your help and my wire management is hopeless. Following this gorgeous build.

Man, I would love to get into the business of setting up reef tanks for others, but unfortunately there's no demand in my area.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been really busy lately with work and just haven't had any time for new videos or updates. Tank is doing absolutely wonderful with the new Giesemann fixture. I'm definitely seeing better growth than what I was with the Primes. I'll be shooting a new video soon. But for now here's a couple of iPhone pics.

IMG_6701 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6711 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how are doing? I agree I pretty much have the 26 hd's set were you had your primes set after 2 months of tweak spectrum. I am sure that I will tweak some more.

Awesome man, I loved the Primes with those settings. You said it right, I was tweaking all of the time also lol!

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been really busy lately with work and just haven't had any time for new videos or updates. Tank is doing absolutely wonderful with the new Giesemann fixture. I'm definitely seeing better growth than what I was with the Primes. I'll be shooting a new video soon. But for now here's a couple of iPhone pics.

IMG_6701 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6711 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr
Amazing! I love your Midas Blenny, they're such fun fish.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! I love your Midas Blenny, they're such fun fish.

Thanks man! Funny story about that Blenny. I bought it about 8 months ago from Divers Den and was instantly in love with it. Shortly after, I added several Anthias, which as you may know, can be very difficult to acclimate that first week. They hide, won't eat etc. I noticed that the Blenny was aggressive towards them, even though Midas Blennies are typically peaceful. In fear of the Blenny hindering the acclimation of the Anthias, I chose to give him to a good friend that had a 20 gallon nano. He had him for several months and the Blenny was doing very well. Unfortunately, my friend's house caught fire a few weeks ago and the house could not be lived in. He did an emergency extraction and brought all of the inhabitants to my tank. So the Blenny found his way back to my house and is doing very well with all of the other tank mates... including the Anthias lol. I guess he just needed a very long timeout.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Funny story about that Blenny. I bought it about 8 months ago from Divers Den and was instantly in love with it. Shortly after, I added several Anthias, which as you may know, can be very difficult to acclimate that first week. They hide, won't eat etc. I noticed that the Blenny was aggressive towards them, even though Midas Blennies are typically peaceful. In fear of the Blenny hindering the acclimation of the Anthias, I chose to give him to a good friend that had a 20 gallon nano. He had him for several months and the Blenny was doing very well. Unfortunately, my friend's house caught fire a few weeks ago and the house could not be lived in. He did an emergency extraction and brought all of the inhabitants to my tank. So the Blenny found his way back to my house and is doing very well with all of the other tank mates... including the Anthias lol. I guess he just needed a very long timeout.
Oh my gosh, wow! I guess all he needed was some time away, lol. And I'm sure it helped that the Anthias at that point were established and confident! They were not about to let some Blenny Mess with them! ;)

I'm sorry about your friend's misfortune. :(

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back