BROKE MY LIGHT AGAIN... HELP ME CHOOSE A NEW ONE

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so after breaking two cheap lights. Then another that was going to go on my Nps/ Anthias tank. I think I am willing to up my budget a bit.
I think that I will be able to afford spending $1-200, maybe even 250-300. I am wondering if theres anything in that budget that will grow sps. If not then is there anything that can keep a bubble tip anemone or maybe lps. I am open to not only LED, but anything thats affordable and will stay so. The tanks dimensions are L: 30" H: 19" W:13

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one of the black box leds. $125 and you can grow anything you want under them. I went that route for 6 or 7 years or so. Colors on corals won’t look quite as nice as the expensive LEDs but fish colors will look nicer as the cheap black box lights seem to be brighter. At least that was the case for me.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AI primes on my 30 L. Seems to grow most anything.. I really like them. Tank dimensions 36 L x 11 deep (Display) about 12 inches deep.

How long have you been running those lights? I had 3 AI Primes. After 1.5 years I was down to 1 working AI Prime. Tank is gorgeous when they are working. In my opinion AI makes the most visually appealing spectrum. Unfortunately one of the worst quality lights.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Hamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean revive lights got sps and softies been running for 3 years. Look them up (Ocean Revive)

20201012_231815.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so after breaking two cheap lights. Then another that was going to go on my Nps/ Anthias tank. I think I am willing to up my budget a bit.
I think that I will be able to afford spending $1-200, maybe even 250-300. I am wondering if theres anything in that budget that will grow sps. If not then is there anything that can keep a bubble tip anemone or maybe lps. I am open to not only LED, but anything thats affordable and will stay so. The tanks dimensions are L: 30" H: 19" W:13
Get an ATI SunPower!!!! 24" ATI 4 bulb non-dimmable SunPower.
If you can fit the 6 bulbs would be great (13.4" wide - that's what I would do!).
Forever and ever without changing your fixture!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been running those lights? I had 3 AI Primes. After 1.5 years I was down to 1 working AI Prime. Tank is gorgeous when they are working. In my opinion AI makes the most visually appealing spectrum. Unfortunately one of the worst quality lights.

Hope you have better luck than me.

I would argue that nanobox has the best spectrum but they are not around anymore :(

That is a bummer about the primes. I have some pretty old LEDs...like 5-7 years and a prime would be something I would consider for an upgrade. Really bugs me when some of these led fixtures seem to not last.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue that nanobox has the best spectrum but they are not around anymore :(

That is a bummer about the primes. I have some pretty old LEDs...like 5-7 years and a prime would be something I would consider for an upgrade. Really bugs me when some of these led fixtures seem to not last.

Yes i should qualify my statement by saying AI spectrum is my favorite between the various lights I have seen in person...which isn't that many...(radion/kessil/reefbreeders/and black box)

I did not even know the nanobox existed. Sounds like i should have done some more research a few years ago. Although if they are not around anymore maybe you are the only person who liked the light :)

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Series Dimmable T300 300W LED Aquarium Light, with full spectrum layout has worked well for me for 3 years on a 46g bowfront until I upgraded to Kessil's.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i should qualify my statement by saying AI spectrum is my favorite between the various lights I have seen in person...which isn't that many...(radion/kessil/reefbreeders/and black box)

I did not even know the nanobox existed. Sounds like i should have done some more research a few years ago. Although if they are not around anymore maybe you are the only person who liked the light :)

Haha! They were popular on other nano forums and such but they were more for nano tanks unless you went hybrid. I know getting bluefish controllers was becoming an issue since covid so maybe just a covid victim. Small USA business that has to rely on parts from other businesses which become scarce but I am just guessing.

Hopefully this newest version of prime preforms better than the ones you did but who knows.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With used Gen 4's, barely pulling 200.00, you likely could find a couple of Gen 2's or 3's for about what you are looking to spend. In my years I have found, you get what you pay for. Good luck...

While I do tend to agree you get what you pay for in most instances...in the case of a gen2 or 3 radion, they’d be paying for what could be close to a 6-7 year old led unit in which they have no idea what condition the internal components would be in. Unless you had a backup on hand at all times, I’d have a hard time suggesting someone put all their eggs in that basket.

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay let’s say not sps and just lps and a bubble tip. What are my options. How much would a a t5 setup cost.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay let’s say not sps and just lps and a bubble tip. What are my options. How much would a a t5 setup cost.

T5 will grow SPS just as good if not better than LED. I would look into that fixture Grandis suggested. So many really good cheap options for a used T5 setup also. The main reason i switched to LED is because it allowed me to go without a chiller. If you don't run your tank with a hood though it is probably not an issue for you.

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an ATI SunPower!!!! 24" ATI 4 bulb non-dimmable SunPower.
If you can fit the 6 bulbs would be great (13.4" wide - that's what I would do!).
Forever and ever without changing your fixture!

how about the 24” Aquatic Life one also how long does a bulb last

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into T5's. They been around a long time and still are and always will be. Great lights

OP
OP
Bepis

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any affordable fixtures. I don’t of need a led or hybrid

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back