Brook or Ich

AlysonV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! We’ve had these clownfish for about two months, they’ve been fine. One died this morning out of nowhere and as I was looking at them I noticed this white sheenish spotty film over my still-alive clown. I can’t tell if it’s ick or brook and what we should do next. He’s now our only fish in the tank.

0DFC21E5-8258-443D-8EB5-A38B9C3738BA.jpeg 56472EF9-F924-4BFE-ADE3-86D3FCB9DAD8.jpeg 036C0563-B3F0-4FDA-BD0A-13FCD78E7F22.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef.

The third picture seems to show a mucus trail coming off the fish's tail. If so, this is definitely Brooklynella. The fact that one has died already makes treating this one very difficult, as there really isn't much time.

Do you have a treatment tank available? If not, the only option is to try dips - a 45 minute formalin dip, 90 minute Rally Reef dip or a 5 minute freshwater dip (in descending order of effectiveness). It is really best to dip the fish and then move them to a clean tank, but if you don't have that option, you'll need to try to dip the fish daily.

Jay

OP
OP
AlysonV

AlysonV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Welcome to Reef2Reef.

The third picture seems to show a mucus trail coming off the fish's tail. If so, this is definitely Brooklynella. The fact that one has died already makes treating this one very difficult, as there really isn't much time.

Do you have a treatment tank available? If not, the only option is to try dips - a 45 minute formalin dip, 90 minute Rally Reef dip or a 5 minute freshwater dip (in descending order of effectiveness). It is really best to dip the fish and then move them to a clean tank, but if you don't have that option, you'll need to try to dip the fish daily.

Jay
We are trying the 45 min dip. Thank you for your help!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back