Brook or ich?

ricatalano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns seem to have got something. I cant tell if it’s ich or brooklynella.
5B83C2D7-54BB-4718-ADE3-2942416A6623.jpeg
3F5B8C08-F7FC-4DC9-B27F-9B50F61FDE10.jpeg 1C77DF42-1200-4A59-A235-D11413C56E19.jpeg

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly looks like brook due to mucus. are these pictures of the same fish? More pics pls

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post some videos to assess breathing rate?
How are the fish acting?
At this stage, I’d say brook but more info is needed to be confirmed.
Have a quarantine tank ready - you will need to treat with formalin if brook or copper if ich.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not think anyone can answer what you're asking - without the answers to the questions at the top of the forum - and the link in my signature. - other symptoms of course as @Sharkbait19 has said. are answered

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is no doubt Brooklynella. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is no doubt Brooklynella. The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials
There are multiple things that can cause mucus on a clownfish - or any other fish. It could very well be brooklynella. However - more answers IMHO are required.

OP
OP
R

ricatalano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post some videos to assess breathing rate?
How are the fish acting?
At this stage, I’d say brook but more info is needed to be confirmed.
Have a quarantine tank ready - you will need to treat with formalin if brook or copper if ich.
I have a quarantine tank ready to go. They are acting perfectly normal aside from itching in the sand.

Attachments

• 69759852987__694D9F8A-5DF9-4401-9BAC-6BB6E865BB4D.MOV
    1.4 MB
OP
OP
R

ricatalano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple things that can cause mucus on a clownfish - or any other fish. It could very well be brooklynella. However - more answers IMHO are required.
Mostly looks like brook due to mucus. are these pictures of the same fish? More pics pls
It is of the same fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its brook and you dont wait to watch it progress. Start quarantine and treatment

OP
OP
R

ricatalano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely Brook. Look into formalin in a separate tank
I think it may actually have been Ich. Here’s a pic of him today he looks much better

Attachments

• F37E7057-C031-4A22-B363-FC75D24A4A92.jpeg
    F37E7057-C031-4A22-B363-FC75D24A4A92.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 40E52A54-BE1D-4C45-869E-86B6609227CE.jpeg
    40E52A54-BE1D-4C45-869E-86B6609227CE.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 21

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may actually have been Ich. Here’s a pic of him today he looks much better
If it's Cryptocaryon irritans (Marine Ich) then the spots will return (and the tank is infected). Hoping for the best. . .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back