Brook wiped the tank. Need to move the tank to another location

momars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
Recently had a brook outbreak in my 150 gal tank (FOWLR). Unfortunately could not save any inhabitants and now all I have is an empty tank (fishless) with water, sand and live rocks.
I understand the process of running fallow for 6-8 weeks. I had planned a home upgrade down the line and thinking now that I kinda have to restart, might as well get the upgrades done for which I will have to move the tank to another location (basement). This brings me to my questions.

Can I empty the tank water, move it to the new location, refill the water and allow it to run? will this achieve the purpose of fallow run?
OR
Empty the tank, throw the sand, add the new sand and current rocks, hook up the existing filtration, allow it to run 6-8 weeks. I guess this will kick the tank in cycling stage.

Need your suggestions on the best and less labor intensive way I can move it to a new location and bring it back after home work is done, yet use the construction period to run the fallow procedure.

Appreciate your inputs,
Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone,
Recently had a brook outbreak in my 150 gal tank (FOWLR). Unfortunately could not save any inhabitants and now all I have is an empty tank (fishless) with water, sand and live rocks.
I understand the process of running fallow for 6-8 weeks. I had planned a home upgrade down the line and thinking now that I kinda have to restart, might as well get the upgrades done for which I will have to move the tank to another location (basement). This brings me to my questions.

Can I empty the tank water, move it to the new location, refill the water and allow it to run? will this achieve the purpose of fallow run?
OR
Empty the tank, throw the sand, add the new sand and current rocks, hook up the existing filtration, allow it to run 6-8 weeks. I guess this will kick the tank in cycling stage.

Need your suggestions on the best and less labor intensive way I can move it to a new location and bring it back after home work is done, yet use the construction period to run the fallow procedure.

Appreciate your inputs,
Thank you.
You shoud be able to follow your plan and start with new water. As an insurance, you can run Ruby Rally pro for 3 days prior to any introduction to assure any foreign items are addresses such as brook. Ruby is safe so you should be good to go and it does NOT impact bacteria. However, if you use the old rock, etc, run tank 3-4 weeks fishless and then continue

OP
OP
M

momars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shoud be able to follow your plan and start with new water. As an insurance, you can run Ruby Rally pro for 3 days prior to any introduction to assure any foreign items are addresses such as brook. Ruby is safe so you should be good to go and it does NOT impact bacteria. However, if you use the old rock, etc, run tank 3-4 weeks fishless and then continue
Sweet, thank you so much for always being helpful.
Its hard to get medicines for fishes here in Canada. I do have Kordon Rod Ich Plus, is it of any good ?
Or I try getting Ruby only?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sweet, thank you so much for always being helpful.
Its hard to get medicines for fishes here in Canada. I do have Kordon Rod Ich Plus, is it of any good ?
Or I try getting Ruby only?

No ich plus- will not help. Ruby if possible or else in Canada see if NT Labs acrliflavine is available

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you should just do the standard fallow period for Brooklynella - no medication. I believe ( you can check) - it s 8 weeks as according to Jay's most recent post. Just move the tank - fill it with water. And let it sit. You'll be fine. You might want to add some bottled bacteria once done before adding fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - using Ruby Reef to shorten the fallow time does not have a lot of data behind it, I wouldn't do it.

If your move is short and the tank substrate doesn't dry out, the bacteria will stay alive and as long as you don't expose the substrate and rocks to freshwater, the bacteria will stay alive.

However, since you were going to have to run fallow for 60 days (or so) why not sterilize everything and start over?

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back