Brook

JWhitener

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clownfish showed signs of Brook this morning with cloudy eyes, skin peeling, and being lethargic. I put him in a 5 minute fresh water dip which he would not even swim around in. He just laid at the bottom of the bowl and I had to move him with my hand. After putting him back in the main tank he started swimming but all sorts of loose tissue came flying off him. He lasted maybe an hour and died.
I have another clown and a flame Angel in the infected tank I haven’t removed just yet. I plan to get a 10 gallon tank, filter, heater, and air stone/pump tomorrow to start a QT tank. I won’t be able to get meds until Sunday which I’m assuming Metroplex and Ruby Reef Rally is the preferred meds for this.
Questions,
1) Is there anything else I need when medicating the 2 fish?
2) I’m assuming the 2 fish must stay in the QT tank for 6 weeks until the main tank is cured, correct?
3) Are water changes the perferred method for controlling ammonia levels in the QT tank?
4) Should I Medicare for anything else while they are getting treated? Ick?

Thank you for your help and I hope I can safe the other two fish.

AfaceInTheCrowd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid by tomorrow it will most likely be too late.
It’s a very fast acting disease..
I would still get the QT set up and get it matured ready for new inhabitants after a long fallow period of your main display.
Sorry I can’t be more positive.

Stephen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck using Rid-Ich Plus for treating brook. Follow the instructions very carefully though. QT set up is a must for treating brook in my opinion.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clownfish showed signs of Brook this morning with cloudy eyes, skin peeling, and being lethargic. I put him in a 5 minute fresh water dip which he would not even swim around in. He just laid at the bottom of the bowl and I had to move him with my hand. After putting him back in the main tank he started swimming but all sorts of loose tissue came flying off him. He lasted maybe an hour and died.
I have another clown and a flame Angel in the infected tank I haven’t removed just yet. I plan to get a 10 gallon tank, filter, heater, and air stone/pump tomorrow to start a QT tank. I won’t be able to get meds until Sunday which I’m assuming Metroplex and Ruby Reef Rally is the preferred meds for this.
Questions,
1) Is there anything else I need when medicating the 2 fish?
2) I’m assuming the 2 fish must stay in the QT tank for 6 weeks until the main tank is cured, correct?
3) Are water changes the perferred method for controlling ammonia levels in the QT tank?
4) Should I Medicare for anything else while they are getting treated? Ick?

Thank you for your help and I hope I can safe the other two fish.
Disease diagnosis can be difficult with just visual clues to go on, but I'm assuming that your assessment that the first clown had Brooklynella is accurate....

I prefer to use formalin to treat Brooklynella, but I understand it is difficult to get. Key to any treatment is "dip and move" into a clean tank. Then, once moved, try to manage the infection with the metroplex.

Controlling ammonia in a QT can be very difficult - I prefer to use "bacteria in a bottle" like Dr. Tim's and then monitor ammonia daily. Water changes can be tricky since they can mess with your medication doses. Ammonia removing chemicals can alter some medications, so I only use those in a dire emergency.

As mentioned, time is of the essence here, especially if the remaining clown and angel are showing symptoms.

I can't say what other medications you may need, it isn't impossible for fish to have multiple issues at the same time, so just treat if/when you see symptoms.

jay

OP
OP
JWhitener

JWhitener

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are dead as of this morning. My whole tank is wiped out. 6 fish in one week. Ugh!!! So 6 weeks of no fish is long enough to rid the tank of the brook?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are dead as of this morning. My whole tank is wiped out. 6 fish in one week. Ugh!!! So 6 weeks of no fish is long enough to rid the tank of the brook?
Sorry to hear. 6 weeks is the safest amount of time, since Brook doesn't have a resting stage, it could be less, but I would suggest you play it safe, Additionally, quarantining your new fish will help, and you can begin that during this time. Here is a link to my current Q protocol:

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back