Brooklynella issue ......

Padawanreefaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I guess this post is more for an opinion. So I have had these two Grade A Picasso Clowns in my 10 gallon tank. They were both pretty young as they were only about an inch and a half or so in length. Perfectly healthy and happy. The male had finally submitted to the female. Any who, This weekend I decided to use some cash I received for Father's Day and picked up a UFO Scoly for my 29 gallon biocube and decided to pick up 2 turbo snails for a slight algea issue in the 10 gal. On Weds of this week I had received a new AI Prime and mounted it on the tank and all tank inhabitants were good. I even fed some pellets and they both ate. Later that night I noticed both Picasso's hanging out in the bottom of the tank near the back as if they were hosting the sand bed and the female was breathing hard. I found this odd and decided to thaw out some frozen brine to see if they would eat and sure enough they just swam around the food. Woke up yesterday to both my clowns, 80% of the CuC and one of the turbo snails dead. Took them out and they had a rather slimy coat so I tested the water and only saw a slight spike in Ammonia (.25) which I figured was the result of my dead clowns. To be sure I took a sample to one of my LFS and they found absolutely nothing wrong. Salinity was 35ppm, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates all at 0. Calk and Alk was right in the line as well. As I started to explain my situation they mentioned Brooklynella and explained to me that it is a diseased that must be introduced to your tank via a host such as a new snail or perhaps even a coral. Makes sense since the snails were the last to go into that tank. After reading an article the seemed to be written on my situation I have come to the conclusion that this $3 snails killed over $250 worth of fish and inverts. So my question is this, I plan on visiting the store I got the snails from and explain the above and see how they react, I fully understand that I should have place snails in QT before putting them in a tank but I don't have a QT and I'm sure there are lots who don't QT inverts (although we should). I spend quite a few dollars in this store and I sort of expect them to at least give me an idea of how they can make this better but also want to be prepared for them to fully say "nothing we can do for you". Should I be a bit peeved if they decide not to make this right? Would I be totally wrong for putting them on blast if they decide to not make it better? Thoughts? Sorry for the long post but I am torn and heartbroken at losing my gorgeous clowns.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy that sounds horrible frustrating, sorry. Three steps forward one big step back.

I would be floored if they took any action at all. Either stop using their services or move forward. Unfortunately if you want to make it your go to store I would not press the issue. As you stated in your post you should have QT'd and you did not, and many other don't, but if you have a bad outcome the store is going to stand on that fact.

Take some time before frequenting the store again, and calmly recount your story, expect nothing.

Again sorry for the loss.

OP
OP
Padawanreefaddict

Padawanreefaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy that sounds horrible frustrating, sorry. Three steps forward one big step back.

I would be floored if they took any action at all. Either stop using their services or move forward. Unfortunately if you want to make it your go to store I would not press the issue. As you stated in your post you should have QT'd and you did not, and many other don't, but if you have a bad outcome the store is going to stand on that fact.

Take some time before frequenting the store again, and calmly recount your story, expect nothing.

Again sorry for the loss.

Yeah it is horribly frustrating. I really don't expect them to do much if anything. Definitely not expecting them to pay for my dead fish. I guess I figured we can probably work something out to replace them with other clowns that aren't so expensive or something. If they choose not to make it right I agree I will never go to this store ever again. Shame because they have really nice corals and some of the guys there are great with customer service. It's definitely not my go to but it was one that I frequent and I had just recently sat down with one of the owners to discuss a custom 200 gallon peninsula tank that I want to eventually get in the next year. Guess that won't be happening either if they chose to not make it right.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up yesterday to both my clowns, 80% of the CuC and one of the turbo snails dead.

The thing is Brooklynella is a fish only disease, it wouldn't have impacted your CUC/turbo snails. And while .25 ammonia is not good, I doubt that would have killed them either. Clownfish & snails are pretty tough. Any chance a toxin (household cleaner, bug spray) got into the water? Or were you using any medications?

OP
OP
Padawanreefaddict

Padawanreefaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Humblefish. Glad you chimed in. Ok so I have to check again. I may be wrong about CUC dying as well. I figured since neither of them bothered to eat the dead Picasso's they were probably dead too. But one of the turbo snails that I put in last did die. So yes I agree, from what I understand brook is a fish disease. So is it possible for the parasite to leave the host and the host remain alive? Also, no house cleaners, or medication. I believe the ammonia spike may have been a false reading because when I took the water sample to the LFS there was nothing registering ammonia.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked all your pumps, heaters and other equipment for a failure?

OP
OP
Padawanreefaddict

Padawanreefaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I stopped by the store and noticed how they were quick to say that it absolutely wasn't brook but offered almost now other scenario that could have killed my fish within hours. Hey said brook was very rare. The manager offered to make it better in the form of a discount on a new pair but balked at discussing a price when I asked about pair of flurry snowflakes at the store. Found that a bit odd and he said he'd rather discuss it when we reach that crossroad. I'll wait to hear from one of the owners before I proceed. I did pick up a blue chromis to see if the tank is safe for now. Would hate to go fallow for weeks of it was indeed brook. I am more baffled now than I was yesterday.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella in clowns is common, the disease has the nick name of Clown Fish Disease.

At least you have what appears to be a positive dialog going on, but to say that Brook is uncommon is not a fact.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Humblefish. Glad you chimed in. Ok so I have to check again. I may be wrong about CUC dying as well. I figured since neither of them bothered to eat the dead Picasso's they were probably dead too. But one of the turbo snails that I put in last did die. So yes I agree, from what I understand brook is a fish disease. So is it possible for the parasite to leave the host and the host remain alive? Also, no house cleaners, or medication. I believe the ammonia spike may have been a false reading because when I took the water sample to the LFS there was nothing registering ammonia.
Brook undoubtedly has a tomont stage, which can encyst to hard surfaces (ex. a snail shell). But I need to do more research to confirm if it works the same as ich & velvet tomonts. It's been awhile since I did any reading up on Brooklynella. Peer reviewed articles on brook are not as easy to come by as ich/velvet. So, much of what we know about brook is anecdotal.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooklynella in clowns is common, the disease has the nick name of Clown Fish Disease.

At least you have what appears to be a positive dialog going on, but to say that Brook is uncommon is not a fact.

^^Very true. Used to be ORA clownfish were not as likely to be exposed to it. But since these are now being sold to wholesalers, they are more likely to get brook that has been latent in a wholesaler's facility.

OP
OP
Padawanreefaddict

Padawanreefaddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback all. I agree a positive dialog is what I was hoping for so that's definitely a good thing and I too was baffled when he said it was rare. If it's called clownfish disease then it can't be too rare. I picked up a blue chromis so let's see how this goes. If he dies then it's still in the tank via the remaining inhabitants like either my skunk shrimp or other snails.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back