Brooklynella treatment questions...

sconym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have the dreaded Brooklynella. I read on this forum that it is a quick acting parasite, and boy is it. I noticed the symptoms on my purple tang yesterday morning. By this morning, I lost my 3 O. Clowns, coral beauty and the culprit blue eye kole tang. There are 3 remaining fish... six line wrasse, purple tang and yellow tang. The purple tang is infected and not looking good at all. I am working on QT tank to hopefully catch, QT and treat the 3 remaining fish. Fingers crossed!!!! That being said, I am going to go fallow for the recommended 6 weeks (might even go longer as I'm a bit skittish now!). My question is, do I need to medicate the tank once it is fallow for the 6 week timeline, or just let nature run its course during that time. I do have corals, rock, rose BTA and some crabs / snails in the tank that hopefully I don't have to remove during the fallow period.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have the dreaded Brooklynella. I read on this forum that it is a quick acting parasite, and boy is it. I noticed the symptoms on my purple tang yesterday morning. By this morning, I lost my 3 O. Clowns, coral beauty and the culprit blue eye kole tang. There are 3 remaining fish... six line wrasse, purple tang and yellow tang. The purple tang is infected and not looking good at all. I am working on QT tank to hopefully catch, QT and treat the 3 remaining fish. Fingers crossed!!!! That being said, I am going to go fallow for the recommended 6 weeks (might even go longer as I'm a bit skittish now!). My question is, do I need to medicate the tank once it is fallow for the 6 week timeline, or just let nature run its course during that time. I do have corals, rock, rose BTA and some crabs / snails in the tank that hopefully I don't have to remove during the fallow period.

No, don't treat the main tank during its fallow period. The primary treatment is Formalin and that would not be a good thing in your reef tank. Just let it run its course...45 days fallow is supposedly the time frame for it to run through its life cycle without a host present.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back