Brooklynella?

hakunaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8D0DCD85-24D7-4184-BA69-0454B6DFF2CD.jpeg

I have domino damsel that is showing signs of brook. As shown above he has white slimy mucus near his face. Opinions?

I had just gotten him about a 5 days ago along with 2 other damsels put into my 72 gal. The tank had been cycling for 2 and half weeks at the time of entry for the fish.

If it is brook, as I suspect, how should I treat him? Should I do anything to the tank to prevent the others from catching it?

Last edited:

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, I just went through this with my clown. He had whiteish spots all between his eyes but he showed no other symptoms of it. Not eating and difference in behavior are huge red flags. He’s “had “ it for 3 weeks now, I had a qt setup and has formalin ready and waiting.

due to the fish showing no other symptoms and the fact that no other fish had it I decided to let it go and she Is as happy and fat as ever. I guess I am one of the lucky ones but make sure to observe closely.

OP
OP
hakunaa

hakunaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks #reefsquad if this damsel has brook, the others have it too. Treatment is a 45 minute formalin bath, followed by a transfer to a sterile QT.
Okay, thank you!

Hey man, I just went through this with my clown. He had whiteish spots all between his eyes but he showed no other symptoms of it. Not eating and difference in behavior are huge red flags. He’s “had “ it for 3 weeks now, I had a qt setup and has formalin ready and waiting.

due to the fish showing no other symptoms and the fact that no other fish had it I decided to let it go and she Is as happy and fat as ever. I guess I am one of the lucky ones but make sure to observe closely.
See thing is is that my domino is the fattest guy in my tank. He goes after the food agressively and loves to eat however this morning he didn’t eat at all. He had been swiming around and alert at feeding but he didn’t touch a thing.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you!

See thing is is that my domino is the fattest guy in my tank. He goes after the food agressively and loves to eat however this morning he didn’t eat at all. He had been swiming around and alert at feeding but he didn’t touch a thing.
With all the research my wife and I have done about it, i have to say it will be fast acting. Some claim it will kill the fish within hours to days depending. I would try to do freshwater bath then into a QT tank for temporary relief then wait for the formalin to arrive. It definitely looks and sounds like brooklynella, if one has it then all other fish will get it. Can you QT all of them?

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating is the biggest thing, I feel like my clown was 1, strong enough to make it through if it was brook, 2 was and is still the first one up to eat and eats a lot! the constant eating kept her strength up. Try to use some garlic additive and see if he eats. Not a good sign if he stopped eating. Are you noticing difficulties breathing? Gulping for air etc?

OP
OP
hakunaa

hakunaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating is the biggest thing, I feel like my clown was 1, strong enough to make it through if it was brook, 2 was and is still the first one up to eat and eats a lot! the constant eating kept her strength up. Try to use some garlic additive and see if he eats. Not a good sign if he stopped eating. Are you noticing difficulties breathing? Gulping for air etc?
He doesnt seem to have any issue breathing he is just uninterested in the food for now..

I’ll get each a bath and quarantined asap

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This definitely looks like Brooklynella...and the damsel family of fish are highly susceptible. Treatment must occur quickly since this can kill the fish quickly. By the pictures, this is starting to be very advanced.

Treatment is either a 45min Formulin bath or 90 min Ruby Reef Rally bath -- then put into a new quarantine tank while you remove all your current fish and place them into the quarantine system as well. Then, treat the quarantine tank (since it has fish who have been exposed but possibly not showing signs yet) the water column with Metrodanizole every 48hrs for 14 days. This should help to eradicate it from the other fish as well.

You can also do a 5 min Freshwater dip to help relieve this particular fish somewhat while you wait to get the meds, if you don't already have present.

Sadly, your current tank will have to go fallow from all fish for 76 days!

Sorry that this sounds like your first fish experience in your new tank. But, it shows the risks and dangers of not quarantining your fish prior to insertion into your main tank!

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally Works as well. I agree a FW bath will help. JUST DO IT QUICK. My one clown showed symptons one night, and the next night I found him dead. It kills fast!

OP
OP
hakunaa

hakunaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This definitely looks like Brooklynella...and the damsel family of fish are highly susceptible. Treatment must occur quickly since this can kill the fish quickly. By the pictures, this is starting to be very advanced.

Treatment is either a 45min Formulin bath or 90 min Ruby Reef Rally bath -- then put into a new quarantine tank while you remove all your current fish and place them into the quarantine system as well. Then, treat the quarantine tank (since it has fish who have been exposed but possibly not showing signs yet) the water column with Metrodanizole every 48hrs for 14 days. This should help to eradicate it from the other fish as well.

You can also do a 5 min Freshwater dip to help relieve this particular fish somewhat while you wait to get the meds, if you don't already have present.

Sadly, your current tank will have to go fallow from all fish for 76 days!

Sorry that this sounds like your first fish experience in your new tank. But, it shows the risks and dangers of not quarantining your fish prior to insertion into your main tank!
I had quarantined though.. They were in QT for the only half a week less than the tank was cycling and I had seen no signs of any issue.

Thank you for treatment brands to go from, I will be going with the ruby reef rally.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had quarantined though.. They were in QT for the only half a week less than the tank was cycling and I had seen no signs of any issue.

Thank you for treatment brands to go from, I will be going with the ruby reef rally.

It's too bad this didn't show up in your observation time! Maybe something stressed it in the DT and allowed it to present.

Damsels/Clowns are so susceptible to this... as well as being carriers of it. If no signs in quarantine/observation, many go ahead and prophylactically treat with Metronidazole for 14 days just to be safe.

Good luck@

OP
OP
hakunaa

hakunaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from work and he seems almost fine? I’ll attach a picture in a minute after his freshwater bath.

But I just got home he was swimming around towards the top of the tank and very actively so. I figured though its a bit early I would try a small lil feeding just to check and he at almost all of the food. The white mucus seems to be gone from the side that it was originally on? I’m going to give him the bath then I’ll show pictures after to confirm.

I am quite confused.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep an eye on it, see if it spreads to others. Catching and putting the fish in qt may cause more stress... always to be safe then sorry!

OP
OP
hakunaa

hakunaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Ruby Reef Rally in a bath when one of my clowns came down with brook. Worked very well. And I agree with the others, that sure looks like brook to me.
I ordered and its on its way! Ill be doing a FW bath every day until then and hopefull thatlly cure it. I looked at the other two and there is no sign at all of brook and they are both eating very well but I am going to give each a short FW bath as well.

OP
OP
hakunaa

hakunaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92C13659-34F4-498A-920C-C4268DD6ACC7.jpeg

He seems much better and I did notice a bit of mucus but it wasnt nearly as white or prominent as earlier today.

sorry for the picture quality he just wont stop swimming away from me

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back