Brown algae appeared in one day.

adrianbranches

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
Today I decided to put my Kessil 360 on the brighter white light spectrum, which I’ve never done. I usually keep it in the bluer side to avoid algae. I only did this today because I got my first acro (green slimer staghorn), and know it needs strong lighting. When I came back tonight, the fan that cools my water was off and brown algae was all over my rocks. I’m currently washing my rocks in hot water and brushing the algae off but there’s green algae that won’t come off now. Any tips or suggestions. Thank you in advance my fellow reefers.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters don't ever use hot water on anything that has been in an aquarium. Palytoxin is made by certain types of algae and is thermostable and hot water can aerosolize it. Not a good thing. Additionally, rinsing rocks in freshwater of any temperature kills all the biology, most is beneficial and helpful in maintaining a healthy reef ecosystem.

Single cell algae can double in numbers in less than a day. There would have been a thin film even if it wasn't noticable for a while and increasing the lights would have stimulated it's growth. If there was a temperature increase with the fan shut off that would have accelerated growth as well. My impression is this is a very new system. If so you're going through the "uglies". A system may cycle in a day to a few weeks but the maturing process can take 8-12 months and there will be various types of nuisance algae that appear and dissappear. I only use manual removal to deal with it (without removing the rockscape)

You may find these links informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Palytoxin in dinoflagellates

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim I like that you have four hours of video study heh I usually hit with nine pages of furious type and no video.

I like your style

said in the manner of sweaty red faced sam kinison tilting near the desk of rodney dangerfield
A4FAB232-FCF9-4081-91F2-8151DB2AD571.jpeg

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . I like your style . . .

Thank you! (I think :D) That was a great scene, didn't think I was quite that harsh though. Going to have to rewatch that movie, got Dylon Thomas' poem stuck on my fridge. I got a lotta posts on the fire so posting videos is faster.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back